Thread: Scope Recommendation-Axis .223

Icyminnesota

Scope Recommendation-Axis .223

This is my second post. Thanks for those who replied to my other. Again..got a Savage Axis .223 with the factory budle Bushnell (3x9 40)on it. I was looking to replace it. I have a Center Point 4x16 40 on my 7.62 single shot that works pretty good. Was thinking of another CP but not sure.
    Any suggestions on a scope under or around $100 that I might be a great buy vs performance? Looking at shots up to 200 yds maybe 300 yds max.

Thanks again for the help in advance. I am ordering a cheek riser and maybe a bipod for it also. When I hit the range I will post pics of target with setup and ammo used.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    You can do more with a $100 rifle with a $1000 scope, then a $1000 rifle with a $100 scope.

Just a few words of advice from yer 'ol Uncle Frank...

If it were me, I'd be looking at some of the year end sales on Vortex, Nikon, Bushnell, etc. (Cameraland, Midway, SWFA <---- they take trade ins, etc...)
    But that's me.

Happy New Year,
    Frank in Fla
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 12-30-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

[QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;155774]You can do more with a $100 rifle with a $1000 scope, then a $1000 rifle with a $100 scope.

That has always been my problem, every time I save up enough for a decent scope, I end up buying an action or custom barrel, and am stuck with mediocre optics.
    after years of frustration and banging my head, I am officially crying uncle,and going to go the better optics route, ya know If it wasn't for that d@mn classifieds I would be fine.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Team Savage
    For $100 dollars you'll end up with the same quality scope you've got now. I would take a look at the Vortex Crossfire II. Vortex is noted for their no hassle warranty if anything goes wrong. Check out CameraLand, a site vendor. Call, they may have some demo's at a discount price.
    Last edited by jpdown; 12-30-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Since you're firing 223 I assume you're not looking for a long range tactikool scope. Your CP might do OK--but I had one that blew up internally after a few 308 recoils--I won't even glance at them on the store shelf now.

My tastes and selections in scopes are evolving and I have a box loaded with useless combo package scopes and cheap low-enders--but I still like to find deals at lower prices.

If I'm doing variable magnification, my baseline is a minimum 14/16x capability for budget range scopes--9 x 12 just don't hack it for me even at 100 yds EXCEPT if it's by a manufacturer with really good glass--like Leupold. Usually you can get side focus to adjust for parallax to help with the lesser imagine quality on low to mid range scopes if you look hard--I wouldn't buy a 14x or better variable scope without it if at all possible.

Something else to consider: lately I've realized that I tend to use maximum magnification at all ranges possible--and the logic behind fixed magnification scopes started making more sense to me. Fixed mag scopes generally reduce the "fiddle diddle factor" and generally are less expensive than a variable magnification--so I consider them a viable way to "bootleg" your way into really good glass lenses and reticles on the cheap--case in point are Leupold and SWFA scopes. I have a 12x fixed SWFA SS scope on the way--the .1 mil mil reticle looks totally awesome for a $299 scope.
    Last edited by thermaler; 12-30-2012 at 12:37 PM.

Icyminnesota
    Good info so far. Looks like I may up my budget or try the Bushnell that's on the rifle now. Thermaler- I thought about a fixed scope. But sometimes find myself bringing the mag down at times. Maybe that is by habit.

Tight budget? Try ebay? Stick with someone that has good feedback and scopes with good warranty service. Light Ring marks drop the price on good scopes.

PS where is icy mn?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Icyminnesota
    Well not an eBay person. And Icy Minnesota is just a user name I use. Not a town. It is cold here 2 degrees this morning. That and I like Ice fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    That has always been my problem, every time I save up enough for a decent scope, I end up buying an action or custom barrel, and am stuck with mediocre optics.
    after years of frustration and banging my head, I am officially crying uncle,and going to go the better optics route, ya know If it wasn't for that d@mn classifieds I would be fine.

Dean
    Well if you really, really want me to....I can block your access to the classifieds Dean. I mean, I'd be willing to help ya out like that cuz I'm just that kinda guy.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

He's an addict!! LOL!!!

He'll find a way around it!!!

Basic Member
    I once read something ,somewhere, that made me stop and think, It was:
    "Buy a rifle that you can afford and a scope that you can`t "

If you really cared, you would have a support group section.

Me
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

If you really cared, you would have a support group section.

Me

tanks for they offer Jim

It reverts back to my childhood, when all my friends had shinny new savages and had none.

762X51
    The scope you have is a <$100 scope and any other <$100 scope you replace it with will just be a move sideways. I've always been fond of Burris scopes. Lately I've tried a Nikon and really liked it. I've gotten at least 5 Burris scopes all bought as refurbished units that look PERFECTLY NEW! I honestly don't know why they are listed as refurbs since there is NO WAY to tell them from new. The place I order them from usually has the Burris 3-9X Fullfield II for $169 and that usually includes a bonus like a free GPS or a pair of binoculars. They are currently available for $149 without a bonus item. The new 3-9X Fullfield E1 can be had for $141 but they are currently out. I bought one of the E1 models for my brother in law for Christmas and really like it since the ocular bell doesn't turn with the power adjustment like the Fullfield II does. They also currently have the Nikon ProStaff 3-9X matte black refurb for $119 which I can highly recommend. The refurb scopes are the best way to get high quality scopes at very reasonable prices. On a related note, if you're going to replace the cheapo scope then also replace the $5 Chinese pot metal rings that come with the XP package. The best rings on the planet are the Burris Signature Zee rings. The plastic insert in the Signature rings are a phenomenal design that allows adjustment in windage and elevation if needed and also protect your scope from ring marks while compensating for minor misalignments between front and back rings. I've used these rings for years and there are none better at any price and they can usually be had for less than $45. On the low end, a refurb Nikon ProStaff and a set of medium matte 1" Signature Zee rings can be had for about $160 plus shipping and you'll have a very nice scope package for a reasonable price.

762X51
    Ohhh...and for what it's worth I too just recently bought an Axis .223. I just wanted the rifle but all that was available was the XP package. It was only $40 more so I got it. Took it to the range as it came from the box and shot SUB MOA GROUPS AT 200 YARDS!!! 5 shots into less than 1 MOA and 4 of the 5 into less than 1/2 MOA!!! This cheapo cheeseball rifle out shoots everything else I own! I've replaced the scope and rings with Burris Signature Zee rings and a Pentax scope but I can't imagine it'll shoot any better. When I replace the horribly heavy trigger with a decent Rifle Basix trigger who knows what this little econobanger can do???

KYhunter112
    I'm new here, but i'll give my 2cents. A good scope goes a long way. I used the cheaper Bushnell that came mounted on my .270 and shot well. After a few month's of shooting I replaced the scope with a Nikon Prostaff (which is by no mean's a high dollar scope. With Weaver grand slam ring's and 3x9x50 scope I paid less than $300 mounted and bore sighted) and have improved my accuracy a lot.

seanmurphy265
    I'm a 50mm scope fan all the way! I have a pro-staff 40mm scope with the bdc on my axis 30-06. I like the zoom, but my 50mm 3x9 on my 35 Whelen is much better in low light (hunting). I'm going to upgrade to a 50mm soon, it seems scopes decrease in price this time of year. I've had several emails with burris and weaver close outs and sales.

Banned
    i just bought a bushnell elite 3200,for 139 bucks on natchezz but they only come in silver. extremely nice glass for 139. i have a few of the vortex crossfires on 22s thats about all id use them for.

n4ue
    Hello to all you fine folks.
    My $.02 worth. Been shooting / reloading (for 29 calibers) for over 40 years.
    Like many on this site, I am a sucker for cheap, er, inexpensive glass. Last year I purchased 3 new Axis rifles. The first one in 7-08, shot so good, I ended up getting a .223 and .243. I have high end rifles in these calibers, I wanted something to use for predator control on my buddy's farm. None of the rifles came with a scope. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have 13 spare scopes. From Barska to Burris.
    I recently purchased a new Nikon Monarch 4-16X42MM. I brought it and a handful of the spares to work and had my buddies (who hunt) look through them at a couple of targets 75 yards away. I withheld the cost of each. One of the WORST was the Monarch. For the $ it should have been # 1, but it just didn't look "right".... Nothing "wrong", hard to explain.......Just looked and felt like a toy.
    One of the favorites was my Viper Vortex 4-16X50mm. I sent the Nikon back and bought another Vortex.
    BUT, believe it or not, the Center Point 4-16X40mm, gathered a LOT of positive comments, and at the end, a couple of guys asked numerous times... "HOW much is this one (CP) again???". None of my 'economy' scopes are on anything more than some .243s. so don't know how they will hold up to your .416 Barrett.
    Now having said that, I also own several Millett LRS-1s and several TSR-1s. I doubt if I will ever buy anything other than Vortex or Millett.
    One last thing... In the early 70s, I got a terrific deal on a nib Rem 700 Varmint Special in .243. I was raising a family then and was pretty ashamed to have to put a Japanese Tasco 20X40MM scope on it. All my hunting buddies really rode me.
    A couple of years ago, I replaced the Tasco, but it's optic quality (Japanese) still rivals anything comparable today. It really surprised me. I guess this is the same reason so many go nuts over the "Super Sniper" scopes, which are Japanese Tascos.....

Regards,
    ron

Quote Originally Posted by n4ue View Post
    Hello to all you fine folks.
    My $.02 worth. Been shooting / reloading (for 29 calibers) for over 40 years.
    Like many on this site, I am a sucker for cheap, er, inexpensive glass. Last year I purchased 3 new Axis rifles. The first one in 7-08, shot so good, I ended up getting a .223 and .243. I have high end rifles in these calibers, I wanted something to use for predator control on my buddy's farm. None of the rifles came with a scope. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I have 13 spare scopes. From Barska to Burris.
    I recently purchased a new Nikon Monarch 4-16X42MM. I brought it and a handful of the spares to work and had my buddies (who hunt) look through them at a couple of targets 75 yards away. I withheld the cost of each. One of the WORST was the Monarch. For the $ it should have been # 1, but it just didn't look "right".... Nothing "wrong", hard to explain.......Just looked and felt like a toy.
    One of the favorites was my Viper Vortex 4-16X50mm. I sent the Nikon back and bought another Vortex.
    BUT, believe it or not, the Center Point 4-16X40mm, gathered a LOT of positive comments, and at the end, a couple of guys asked numerous times... "HOW much is this one (CP) again???". None of my 'economy' scopes are on anything more than some .243s. so don't know how they will hold up to your .416 Barrett.
    Now having said that, I also own several Millett LRS-1s and several TSR-1s. I doubt if I will ever buy anything other than Vortex or Millett.
    One last thing... In the early 70s, I got a terrific deal on a nib Rem 700 Varmint Special in .243. I was raising a family then and was pretty ashamed to have to put a Japanese Tasco 20X40MM scope on it. All my hunting buddies really rode me.
    A couple of years ago, I replaced the Tasco, but it's optic quality (Japanese) still rivals anything comparable today. It really surprised me. I guess this is the same reason so many go nuts over the "Super Sniper" scopes, which are Japanese Tascos.....

Regards,
    ron
    You say tomaeto...I say Tomahtoe. : )

My monarch has produced excellent groupings on all my heavy recoil rifles for years. Pretty much all I care about.

Haven't had my SS out to the range yet--but I got it because that's what a friend of mine uses (he was a combat sniper in Afghanistan) and he swears by it--I figured odds are if it was good enough for him I probably would not be disappointed.

n4ue
    One scope that REALLY impressed me was a Fujinon. My boss is not a 'gun guy', but he lets me buy stuff for him....that I recommend.
    Two years ago, he bought a new Rock River AR. Since a lot of his buddies (who shoot his guns) are older as well, he thought about scoping it, after seeing my Colt HBAR. I got one of the last Fujinons that The Sportsmans Guide had. It's 3-10X50. I was so impressed, I ordered one for myself. Out of stock. DARN!
    Doing some research, I found out Fujinon is a large Optical Company in Japan that makes lens' used in Color TV broadcast cameras, satellites, etc. The are no longer in the scope business, but if you ever see one, take a peek through it!!!!

ron

ODA 0121
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    You can do more with a $100 rifle with a $1000 scope, then a $1000 rifle with a $100 scope.

Just a few words of advice from yer 'ol Uncle Frank...
    So, so true.
    When I, or someone else in my unit builds or is asked to help build (buy, build, whatever) a new stick the first thing we ask the person to do is to define the purpose, then pick and purchase a scope for it. Then and only then you can go out and buy or start building.

The sad thing I read all the time in forums is the type of statement..."What's the best scope for under $300. (or different low amounts) and /or I'm so thrilled I got my rifle now I need a scope and only have a couple hundred to spend."

If people would do it correctly their scopes would be at least 3 time what their rifle cost.