Thread: Ultimate (budget) Hunter- pics and range report.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Ultimate (budget) Hunter- pics and range report.

Had been kicking around the idea of an all around hunter. Something that could be used for deer, varmints, larger game like elk within reason, maybe hogs etc. Something that could do a little bit of everything.

Knew I wanted to build on a 200 action. Classic, bulletproof design, plenty of aftermarket support and I like a blind mag for hunting so I picked up a 200 LA SF from Jim at Northland. At this point I hadn't decided on what caliber to go with so the action wore a couple of different barrels until I decided on how to proceed. This is always a can of worms but I decided that a 7mm-08 was the round for me. Ordered a 26" Criterion light varmint contour from Jim.

The next question was the stock. Wanted something in a sporter style but more rigid and better balanced than the factory plastic. After looking at a number of options I decided to mod a factory unit. I relieved material from around the pillars to bed the stock, and while I was at it used some bedding material to fill in the webbing in the forend and stiffen everything up.

Also sanded off the factory mould lines and painted the stock a matte olive color.

It only took a little bit of sanding to relieve the factory channel enough to fit the light varmint contour of the criterion barrel. So now that the stock was painted it was time to look at the action and barrel. The action was blued and the Criterion was stainless steel. Nothing wrong with that but for this build I wanted something more subdued. After a lot of looking decided to go with Duracoat to finish the barrel and action in a matte black. For a first timer I think it turned out ok.

The parts ready for prep.

Spraying.

The results.

So now that everything was together it was time to shoot. For simplicity's sake I loaded up some middle of the road loads with 139gr Hornady sp in virgin Win brass at spec length, no tuning yet. As a side note I have a target 7mm-08 build in the works and have been weight sorting cases for it. The oddballs were used for this project. Had to sight in and break in the new barrel. I don't get crazy on break in, just watch for copper. So no load work up, cast off cases and a new barrel.

In the interest of full disclosure and in all fairness to the gun the last group was 5 shots, it could have been really good but I pulled one and then tried to "fix' it. Totally my fault. The other two pics were pretty indicative of how it was shooting.

Forgot to mention earlier but I added a little shot to the back of the stock. The gun was a little front heavy and the little weight added in the back made it balance really well. I was afraid it might be a little too heavy overall but it balances and shoulders great, it feels really steady offhand. The scope that is on it at the moment is a Sightron 6-24, it is an awesome scope but one that is better suited for target or long range work. I intend to put a Vortex 2.5-10 on this rifle but 'tis the season to spend you're mony on everyone else so this is the scope I had to use for now.

All in all I am very happy with how this project turned out. The gun handles and shoulders great, so far it is accurate enough to warrant further development, it shoots like a 22 and I hope it will serve as a decent all around hunter. The action is a standard 200, the stock is a factory unit with a little tweaking, the barrel is a reasonably priced pre-fit form Northland, and the scope is one I had for another project so my total out of pocket on this is very low. Hopefully if anyone is considering a similar project they will see this and realize that they can do it too. It's been a ton of fun and I've learned a lot. Thanks to all here that have answered the innumerable questions and everyone that has pointed me in the right direction.

Special thanks to Jim at Northland, have been doing business with him for a couple of years now and will never spend a dime anywhere else.

Thanks again to all for the mountains of help, Matt.
    Last edited by mattri; 12-29-2012 at 09:13 PM.