Thread: Model 25 scope options

George B

Model 25 scope options

I cannot wait for my new Model 25 Walking Varminter to arrive.
    For the .223, any particular scopes and rings preferred?
    Are Burris signature Zee's acceptable for centerfire?

thomae
    Many shooters on this forum really, really like the Burris Signature Zee rings. (to be fair, some don't - for various reasons)
    I think everyone would agree that they are totally acceptable for use on a centerfire rifle.

Scopes are always a personal thing - kind of like underwear. Some folks are perfectly happy with low-power fixed or variables (max under 6x), others prefer the standard 3-9x or 2.5-10x "do it all" hunting scope, some like a little more zoom on the high end and get a 3-12x, 4.5-14x or a 4-16x, and then you have those who simply can't get enough magnification and have to have 20x or more on the high end. A lot of it depends on what you'll mostly be using the rifle for, budget, desired features/reticle options, etc. The .223 to me is effectively a 300 yard round with typical varmint loads (50-60gr bullets) so really high magnification isn't as necessary as it would be on say a gun chambered for a cartridge more suitable for shooting 600 or 1,000 yards.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

George B
    I was thinking of using the Burris Signature ZEE's with the Mueller APV. I presume the medium mounts would be good. Should I stick with the factory bases, or get a one-piece?

outback andy
    I purchased a Mueller and when I was sighting it on my .223 rifle at zero it jumped around on me twice, the next week I put a nikon on my rifle and at the
    range I met a guy that was just sighting in his rifle with a Mueller for the first time, and you know what his rifle was doing the same thing to him. I bet you he
    does not have a Mueller on his rifle now either...
    Last edited by outback andy; 01-02-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Mueller's were fairly decent scopes for the money when they first came on the scene back in 2003 or 2004 (or there-abouts). I had reviewed several and owned several (two Eradicators, a 4-16x , a 3-9x and a 2-7x Sport-Dot) and they offered pretty good glass and clarity for what they cost. While they all started out good, after about a year so I started having problems. A seal would fail and it would get milky (like looking through soap scum on a shower door), a lens came loose in one, and the illumination quit working on one of them. Mueller replaced each one under warranty, but after the forth one I'd learned my lesson.

I think I still have the 2-7x around here somewhere, but it hasn't been mounted on anything since 2004 or 2005. To me it's well worth spending a few bucks more to get a major brand and get the quality that goes with it. Bushnell Elite, Nikon, Leupold, Vortex, Burris, etc.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

George B
    Perhaps I'll try a Vortex for this rifle.
    Are the pre-installed mounts good with medium-height rings? Would the EGW one-piece mount (for the Model 25) be a better choice?

Thanks.

The OEM bases are serviceable, but they're far from high quality. I myself prefer a 1-piece rail simply for the flexibility in ring placement that it offers. Probably not going to be a problem on a Model 25 given the actions short length, but when you get into the Axis and 10/110 actions it starts to become more of a necessity than a nicety.