Thread: looking for info sporter model 23a .22 caliber

heritageadam

looking for info sporter model 23a .22 caliber

I have a savage sporter model 23a .22. S/N is 34###. I understand these models were made 1923-1933. Based on the S/N is there a way to narrow down the estimated date of manufacture?

Also, are there any diagrams or a manual which still exist for this gun?

I inherited it, it was owned by my great grandfather's brother who had polio as a child & was in a wheelchair most of his life. He lived in rural Northern MN & got a lot of use out of it. It is a special gun to me & I am hoping to learn more about it. Thanks.

Unfortunately there's just not much info or documentation out there for the early Savage rimfire rifles. Might try John Calhoun to see what he can dig up as he has most of the older records for Savage (pre WWII).

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...r-Savage-Rifle
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

heritageadam
    Also looking for confirmation that the gun I have is indeed a model *23a* (it doesn't say 23a anywhere on the gun, but does say it on the clip).

Barrel states: “Manufactured by Savage Arms Corp. Utica NY, USA Patented Nov 28, 1905, Sept 7, 1915, Sept 4, 1917, Nov 20, 1917 – SAVAGE SPORTER”

Clip states “23A. Sporter or NRA Match Rifle. 22 Long Rifle. Savage Arms Corp. Pat – April 28, 1908”

I tried attaching some pictures but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it on here.

Photo's have to first be uploaded to a hosting service like PhotoBucket or Flickr, then you use the link they provide you to embed the photo in your post. You cannot attach/upload your photo's directly to our site.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

heritageadam
    Thanks for pointing that out. I'm obviously a beginner on this board.

link to pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4e4wctlfmkkaqy4/u37QGrwTeP

Thanks.

From what I see it's definitely a Model 23, but I couldn't tell you if it's an "A" or some other variation of the Model 23. Basically the Model 19 NRA and the Model 23's were the same mechanically - same action, same bolt, same magazine, etc. The stocks differed, the barrel lengths differed, and the sights differed from model to model.

Might have better luck over at the Savage Collectors board http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...age_Collectors
    Those guys are more into the older stuff and collecting where most here are focused on current production bolt-action rifles.

heritageadam
    Thanks for the pointer on which board is more appropriate for which topics, i'll post accordingly.

Sounds like a 23A to me.

I'm guessing the back of the bolt is rounded and not flat like a model 1922 correct?

Is there only one firing pin or two?
    Savage- "never say never".

heritageadam
    yes rounded. looks like one firing pin. thanks

i also think 23a.

Team Savage
    I have a 23A Sporter - it's a beautiful shooter!