Thread: Trouble with brass sticking when fired, .243

Basic Member

Trouble with brass sticking when fired, .243

I recently rebarrled a long action flat back, from 06 to .243. I am having trouble getting the bolt back, unlocks fine, but have to smack th ebolt handle to get her back after 2-3 round. Headspace is tight, and gun shoots the lights out with my old standby load, guys help me figure out what is up. I cleaned the chamber, and barrel, good for 3 rounds, then tight again. I scrubbed it with foaming cleaner, then polished the chamber with #0000 steel wool on a drill, have not tried since., I did see light circles on the brass, nickel plated brass. This gun shoots in the.3's with a pencil barrel factory barrel.

ellobo
    The most common cause of this is the front mtg screws on the scope base are too long or same for the action mtg screws. The difference here is you say it happens after a few rounds. I assume it does not happen on the first 1-2 rounds. The only thing I can think of that might cause this is the metal in the bolt, receiver may be heating enough to cause metal expansion that lengthens the screws of either set expand enough to cause the problem. A simple test is to loosen both sets of screws a small amount and try again. If that works then tighten one set at a time and try again to see which one or both are the problem. If it is the cause, grind a small amount off the end of the screws. Hopefully others will chime in with more help.

El Lobo

need to see pictures of brass but i would say headspace may be too tight.

Basic Member
    Having built over 100 rifles mausers and savages, what I thought too, eased headspace back a little, still sam thing. This was before I polished the chamber.

82boy
    From what I am reading your bolt handle is lacking primary extraction, try a different handle.

Basic Member
    NOpe 82 boy not the handle. I polished the chamber some more today, cleaned it and the barrel again, fired 12 rounds, 5 slow, 6 fasts, no issues whatsoever. Chamber was just a little rough, needed polishing.

stangfish
    If you don't mind me asking, what process did you use to polish?

Basic Member
    I simply used a piece of old cleaning rod, a .50 caliber rush on it, wrapped in #0000 steel wool, soaked with Kroil and 1600 grit lapping compound. Made a tight fit in the chamber, polished till it got loose, addes some more steel wool I strung off and wrapped around it, more kroil and lapping c ompound. About 3 minutes, twice, then cleaned chamber and throat , along with rest o f barrell. Two fouling shots, and shot the next 5 under 1/2 inch. There were light circular marks on the brass, looked to be from the chamber reamer. Never had any issues with bolt lift, or this type of problem with savages, feeding either. Have had this in old military chambers and some guns Century Arms put together from time to time.

Johnc1
    I have had the same problem with my 308 T/R 12. I can load up 50 rounds. Out of the 50, 10 to 12 may stick. The bolt unlocks fine but I have to use the heal of my hand to hit the bolt back. On a couple of occasions I have had to tap it with a wooden knife handle. The brass looks fine and shows no signs of roughness. I am open to suggestions. I may try polishing the chamber like skoger. Is that still working for you.

Mach2
    I had tested some hot military rounds in a Savage 3006 once that stuck. Are your pet loads close to what may be hot? Hot loads will cause sticking. Lacquered finished brass causes sticking too.
    Swapping the brass can fix that.
    I stay away from hot loads. If I want more oompf I go to a larger caliber to stay in the middle of the reccomended load range.

Basic Member
    For lack of a better term "PRIMARY EXTRACTION" on a bolt action rifle is when lifting the bolt handle, the bolt moves a fraction of an inch to the rear which breaks the cartridge case loose from the chamber. EXTRACTION is pulling the cartridge case to the rear after "PRIMARY EXTRACTION" has released the case from the chamber walls.

On a Savage rifle when opening the bolt, on the upstroke the handle rubs up against the ramp on the rear baffle and this is where the bolt gets its primary extraction.

If your having "PRIMARY EXTRACTION" problems, and if you neck size only the problem will be worse no matter how much you polish the chamber.
    Last edited by bigedp51; 01-04-2013 at 03:49 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    For lack of a better term "PRIMARY EXTRACTION" on a bolt action rifle is when lifting the bolt handle, the bolt moves a fraction of an inch to the rear which breaks the cartridge case loose from the chamber. EXTRACTION is pulling the cartridge case to the rear after "PRIMARY EXTRACTION" has released the case from the chamber walls.

On a Savage rifle when opening the bolt, on the upstroke the handle rubs up against the ramp on the rear baffle and this is where the bolt gets its primary extraction.

If your having "PRIMARY EXTRACTION" problems, and if you neck size only the problem will be worse no matter how much you polish the chamber.
    I agree! I forget exactly what Fred (Sharpshooter) said was the minimum-maximum is for a Savage, but when I correct/set it I shoot for .070"-.075" or about the mid range amount. Its the difference between a closed locked bolt and open pushed fully forward best measured from the receiver ring to the bolt head.

The easiest way to verify a lack of PE, place a .020"-.025" shim between the bridge and the baffle at the PE cam then try extracting a cartridge. Shimming is not a "fix". Correcting it may be as simple as replacing a bolt handle, baffle, both or some machining may be required.

Here is good example showing the PE and the shim trick. Pay close attention the bolt body movement as the bolt handle rotated before and after using the shim. That little amount of movement it the PE.

Bill

Basic Member
    BillPA

Good post Bill a video is worth a thousand words and I notice your in the link below. :-)

Adjusting primary extraction
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ary-extraction

Johnc1
    Greate post Bill thanks. I will take a set of feeler gauges with me and see what is does.
    John

jibben
    Try measuring the case 1/4 to 1/2 inch from the rim. note the expansion from sized cases to fired cases. In particular the sticky ones. Hot loads will swell there.

BillPa is Master Jedi.........listen well padawans! He will teach the way of the Savage force!