Thread: Mark II G Stock Question

APP1977

Mark II G Stock Question

Hi everyone,

New to the site and can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

I have a Savage MkII G and want to bring up the lustre of the factory stock.
    Is the stock finished with a synthetic or lacquered finish, and does anyone have any tips?

I don't want to re-stain or colour the stock, just bring out the natural beauty that's already there.

Thanks,

Aaron

I don't know what type of finish is on the stock from the factory. But I have good success with an automotive product called "Maguires ScratchX" used on rifle stocks it brings out the hidden beauty of the wood and polished it up nice. Put a small amount on a dry soft rag and rub onto the surface of the stock, it works wonders. It "does not" leave a dull finish, it makes the finish look highly polished but very nice. Try it on an old stock first and see how you like it.

APP1977
    Thanks for the advice Underdog, I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes!

Have a great New Year!

Finish is just a spray on semi-gloss stain. It's very thin and not absorbed into the surface of the wood much at all.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

APP1977
    Thanks for your help Gentlemen!

I've tried a very fine automotive cut and polishing compound, and it's worked really well!

Thanks again,

Aaron

I bought a Mark II G a while back and got tired of the factory finish. I removed the stock and sanded it all down, and under the factory finish is a very attractive blond wood. I then put several coats of true oil to protect it, and it came out looking very nice. I put it all back together and mounted a Mueller APV scope and you would never know it was the same rifle.

Most Savage wood stocks are just non-figured, plane-Jane Maple. Only the Model 14's and the special order Model 116 SE (safari express) rifles come with Walnut. And then the laminates of course.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

homerduck
    I know I'm a bit late to the party but I wanted to add to it. +1 for the Scratch X. I have used it in my new Henry and on my Boyd's nutmeg laminate for my Mark II. It really does work great! I also cleaned up and made my 1952 Rem 550-1 shine like the original stock. But I finish the stock work by applying a couple of rounds of carnuba wax. The Scratch X has polished it. Now the carnuba will help protect it.

diesel
    +1 on the True Oil, 000 steel wool and 4 coats, you'd think you had a Wearthby