Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silicone and fishing weight in the stock

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Matt, I have been waiting on a denial from Frank, but it hasn't happened. I didn't really want to know.
    Wait, what? Haha.

I packed the butt void on a Choate Varmint with lead fishing weights. Dramatically improved the way the rifle sat on a rear bag but this was an ftr with 30" heavy barrel which is very front heavy.
    I used expanding filler but recoil shook it all loose so moved on to silicon.
    The extra weight does considerably reduce the recoil.
    There is a stock maker here in the UK that adds weight to the adjustable cheekpiece to keep as much of the mass in line with the bore as possible. This helps manage recoil by reducing muzzle flip.

Basic Member
    i use the lead fishing weights and duct seal i got from work i was able to jam it in with a pencil and stack the weight in tight . it wolds around anything and wont harden.

I get to the closest weight I can per the guidelines for the entire rifle.

I use #9 lead shot with expoxy in the butt of the stock. If you add too much, it's easy to drill out the amount needed to correct your total weight.

Reasons: First, it stabilizes the rifle during shooting. Second and probably the biggest reason, it's easy on your shoulder. You can't free recoil the rifle, but it's close.

I have tried the mercury inserts, but I perfer the #9 shot and expoxy.

Basic Member
    I have an edwards in my BT100 It definately made a long day of shooting more enjoyable. I have one sitting in the safe too it might end up in the new gun. I know why guys try to tame down a rifle, I have a buddy that has a bone disorder and can fracture bones real easy so between a brake, managed recoil loads, the edwards he can shoot the rifle without getting bone fractures.

Basic Member
    I put a 26" light varmint barrel on a stevens 200 and the balance was a little too far forward. I took the recoil pad off and added shot until the balance was right and then used fiberglass resin thinned out with acetone to fill in around the shot and keep everything stable. If you do something like this I would recommend using neutral shoe polish or similar as a release agent on the recoil pad and screws so that you can remove it again if you ever want to. Super happy with how it worked out on this rifle, good luck.

Basic Member

Re: Silicone and fishing weight in the stock

The silicone worked great. I used a 10oz tube of silicone and 3 2.5oz weights so I figure I added about a pound to the rifle. It tammed the recoil a little but it holds a lot better. I just stood the rifle with the stock facing up and put all the silicone in then dropped the weights in and cut about an inch of the stirofoam that came out of it. This filled the entire void. I left the rifle leaning against the wall for a day till it set up then screwed the pad back on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12