Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silicone and fishing weight in the stock

Basic Member

Silicone and fishing weight in the stock

Has anyone ever heard of this? My father in law was telling me about something he heard about people taking their hollow synthetic stocks and squirting some silicone in the hollow part and and a fishing weight in the middle of the silicone giving the the gun a little more weight and the lead weight would be a a bit of a shock absorber. What do you guys think

Basic Member

Re: Silicone and fishing weight in the stock

No thoughts on this? It makes sense to me but I don't wanna ruin my stock so was thinking of lining the stock with a plastic bag first

A fishing weight? How big is "A" fishing weight? 1/2 oz would do nothing.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

acemisser
    I put 4 45-70 cases filled with lead in my stock to help balance it out....The front was barrel heavy...lol

Basic Member
    I know Frank shoved a bunch of buck shot in his.

Or something like that...

Basic Member

So the weight is common but what about the silicone

Never heard of the silicone, but some have mixed shot into epoxy then poured into the stock. I did it this way to fill and solidify a mag well, worked for me.
    Do a search I think some have even used beach sand.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member

Do you guys think the weight suspended in silicone would be more effective then a dead weight like epoxy or sand. I would think silicone would absorb more energy then a dead weight

Mach2
    If you're dealing with flex weight won't satisfy. You need a brace like a rod. If you are dealing with balance then weight and silicon would be one way to solve that issue. I have used silicon gel in motorcycle handlebars to absorb vibration. Lotta ways to skin a cat but most folks bought tupperware stocks to cut weight so making a tupperware stock into a heavier stock defeats the whole purpose of that stock. The main issue is to make sure the barrel doesn't touch to stock, You obviously like the inexpensive silicon and lead approach. You can always remove the silicon if you don't like it.

Basic Member

Found these while searching it says to epoxy them to the side of the stock and use spray flame to fill the rest of the cavity

http://www.edwardsrecoilreducer.com/

acemisser
    My question is=I don't understand why people buy a rifle that kicks and then try to tame it down..Why not just buy a tamer rifle in the first place...Or why not just have a brake put on it...?

Basic Member

I'm no expert but have looked into brakes and they are expensive and even more expensive to have installed. I bought this rifle for long range hunting and can handle the recoil but if I can reduce recoil and give the rifle better balance for under $10 then why not

acemisser
    You have to remember some of the recoil pads are glued on and a ***** to remove with out reuining them..
    If the stock is hollow-just put a package of bb's in it..

stangfish
    Did you ever take a Fiziks class?

Basic Member

physics? I haven't taking any

stangfish
    Take all you can. Froggy is on the right track and the large fishing weights will work. so will lead shot or tire balance weights. remember that you will change the balance of the weapon as well as effect the comfort level of carrying a lighter weapon. A good brake is ideal but a heavy stock works . Why did you need so much cartridge?

Basic Member

I bought the 300 for long range public hunting. My marlin 30-30 is my go to rifle for under 200yrds

Silicone used with lead fishing weights is a good idea for one who wants to keep cost down. The whole concept of the silicon is to keep the weights from rattling and making unwanted noise, especially in a hunting rig. I say go for it and try to get in as much lead as you can to actually make a difference. I't would be even cheaper if you could stop by a couple local auto shops and ask for a few handfuls of wheel weights. You could cut them up into pieces to get more in but make sure you apply enough silicone during the process. Like mentioned before if you don't like the results the weights and silicone can be removed.

I use decorative sand from Wal-Mart....works great, is clean, and easy to undo if you want. I just take two Q-Tip sticks and put them in the recoil pad screw holes so the sand does not go there....you don't want it to go there! been there done that!...and pour the sand in the stock. No rattle, no mess, no fuss. Makes a hollow stock very solid.

Basic Member

I ended up packing a couple sheets of paper in the stock, a tube of silicone, a couple 2.5 oz weights then about 1/4 of the styrofoam that came in there to begin with. I'll let you guys know sat how much difference it made

Basic Member
    Sounds like the lead weight in the silicone might work like one of those $60 Benelli recoil reducers. Give it a shot and let us know how it works.

Franklyn
    I made a lead wedge, which can also be bought http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-part...prod34319.aspx and then made a wooden frame which was contoured to the inside of the stock. The wood frame had a snug fit inside the stock. I cut the approximate shape of the lead wedge out of the center of the wood frame and then epoxied the lead wedge in the wooden frame. When it's finished the lead wedge has a "picture frame" of wood that will fit inside the stock. What's nice about this is it adds weight to the rifle and tames recoil yet is easily reversible and won't rattle in the stock.

fatboy-john

silicone is a secret

As Im sure a lot of you know; fully floated barrels are not "always" the most accurate. sometimes, it does more good to fully bed a barrel than to float it. I have used silicone < black GE brand> for some time now to help with barrel harmonics on thinner barrels that have issues. The sillicone "dampens" barrel harmonics after a shot, acting just like a silicone bushing on a carbody, or on a motor mount. Ive seen incredible improvements with some rifles.....the best was a rem700 in 308 that had a 22" barrel. Nothing helped until I squirted in the silicone.....then magicly, It started giving sub-moa groups with box and surplus ammo. All your doing is taming the vibrations....think of a tuning fork that is struck, now imagine placing that fork against something as hard as wood. The vibrations are xferred into the wood with great force....now, imagine that same amout of energy resting on a silicone bed.

If you have a weapon that just wont settle down.....try bedding the entire barrel channel in sillicone. If it doesnt work, it will peel right back out....now harm, no foul.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy-john View Post
    As Im sure a lot of you know; fully floated barrels are not "always" the most accurate. sometimes, it does more good to fully bed a barrel than to float it. I have used silicone < black GE brand> for some time now to help with barrel harmonics on thinner barrels that have issues. The sillicone "dampens" barrel harmonics after a shot, acting just like a silicone bushing on a carbody, or on a motor mount. Ive seen incredible improvements with some rifles.....the best was a rem700 in 308 that had a 22" barrel. Nothing helped until I squirted in the silicone.....then magicly, It started giving sub-moa groups with box and surplus ammo. All your doing is taming the vibrations....think of a tuning fork that is struck, now imagine placing that fork against something as hard as wood. The vibrations are xferred into the wood with great force....now, imagine that same amout of energy resting on a silicone bed.

If you have a weapon that just wont settle down.....try bedding the entire barrel channel in sillicone. If it doesnt work, it will peel right back out....now harm, no foul.
    I have a friend that had acquired a few rifles from a guy who shot bench rest and one of the rifles had some silicone under the barrel for vibration damping. I thought WTH is that but when I saw the accuracy of the gun I didn't ask any more questions.

stangfish
    Matt, I have been waiting on a denial from Frank, but it hasn't happened. I didn't really want to know.
    Last edited by stangfish; 12-29-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: nunya

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast