Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading 308 tooling needed

Basic Member

Reloading 308 tooling needed

Well I am going to get back into the reloading, I used to reload with a buddy that had a Dillion 650 since I can not fork out the money for the dillion I was looking at the Hornady lock and load classic single stage press. What dies do yall reccomend? I was thinking about getting a set of the Hornady dies so then I can get an additional 100 bullets as the rebate but the reviews are hit and miss on them. I was also looking at the competition dies are they going to be worth the extra $ for someone that isnt a benchrest shooter? Anybody use the Hornady L&L setups? If I end up with this press I will probably buy the L&L progressive press next year.

Thanks!!

Get ready for the onslaught my friend...
    I use Lee press and dies.

These are my reasons, so take them for what you will.

Lee is always competitively priced, they have a C.S. and warranty policy that makes the Pope envious. Lee IMO has the smoothest internals of any make out there, regardless of price. Lee had/has something like a billion patents on reloading dies, so I think he has a good understanding of the affair.
    And most importantly, I have 2 rifles that hold MOA at 1K yards. They are production rifles, they don't get blessed, they don't get chanted over, they don't get cleaned much. Obviously my Lee stuff isn't holding them back.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member

Re: Reloading 308 tooling needed

I figured this would get deep fast! I think I may still get the hornady lock and load for swapping dies and get the progressive later, but I think I'll get the Lee dies the more I look and talk to people. Its been a while since I have loaded I need to find a local to get a refresher course.

acemisser
    Lee's here as well....I love the lee turret presses as well,,Got 2 of them here...I my book Hornady is ok but I like the lees better all the other press's are way over priced for what they are...Lyman is pretty good..

Basic Member

I'm kinda half tempted looking at the redding t7 turret. Too many decisions!!! All I will probably end up loading will be 308 204 38 9mm. Anybody use the redding dies? They seem a bit higher $$ but the reviews all seem better. They guys i learned from were hard core Dillon and according to them everything else was junk.

I'm a Lee fan myself, it does everything I need to make precision ammo at way less cost than other maker's.

stangfish
    Lee single stage press here

Basic Member

Well since its working for y'all, how do you like there breech lock press I think I'm going to order it and some dies tonight. Then I just need to come up with a good target load and varmint load now. I have used varget powder in the past and liked it a lot. I'm thinking like a 168g target load, a 110 or 125 varmint and a heavier bullet pig load.

Thanks again!

I have Lee & RCBS. Had a Lyman turret that I sent back becouse it wobbled to much as you turned the head.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    Well it looks like im going to get the lee breech single kit, lee dies, some odds and ends, some varget, sierra match king 168's sierra varmint 110's sierra gameking 165's primers, varget powder, winchester brass, which of course the powder, primers, brass, and the matchking bullets are all back ordered!!! oh well hopefully I will find some ammo to shoot this weekend.

Basic Member
    If you can afford it, RCBS makes great reloading components.

But I use the Lee anniversary kit that they sell for a 100 bucks on midway.

Works just great.

I know Frank has broken a few things on the press from leaning on it to neck size big calibers, but I all you do is just call and say I need this and they send it to you.

Progressive presses are only really acceptable if you're loading pistol, because you can punch out 500 rounds an hour.

If you're just loading for rifle, you don't want to rush through the process.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    Well it looks like im going to get the lee breech single kit, lee dies, some odds and ends, some varget, sierra match king 168's sierra varmint 110's sierra gameking 165's primers, varget powder, winchester brass, which of course the powder, primers, brass, and the matchking bullets are all back ordered!!! oh well hopefully I will find some ammo to shoot this weekend.
    I highly suggest you try to buy your powders and primers local because of the hazmat fee you have to pay on the internet.

Basic Member

I'm going to try to get my powders and primers local I'm going to price it out today and see what they have on hand.

stangfish

load

Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    I'm going to try to get my powders and primers local I'm going to price it out today and see what they have on hand.
    You will hear a lot of advice on 308 loads. I have some if you want to have fun right away. SMK 168, 41 grains of varget and either federal 210M primers or cci br2's if you can afford the cci BR premium. you should be able to shoot 1.5 inch 200 yard groups all day long.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    You will hear a lot of advice on 308 loads. I have some if you want to have fun right away. SMK 168, 41 grains of varget and either federal 210M primers or cci br2's if you can afford the cci BR premium. you should be able to shoot 1.5 inch 200 yard groups all day long.
    Thanks! Well I should be picking up the SMK168, varget, I was going to go with Winchester primers but I'll look at the CCI BR. I wonder how 41g will do with the 165g game king hollow point? I figured I'll use the SMK for target and use the SGK for the varmints and pigs for now until I can get a 110-125g load with the H322 going.

Thanks!!!

What do y'all think about the Winchester primers. There all I have actually used, both rifle primers, pistol and 209 primers and have only ever had a couple misfires out of I don't know how many loads.

stangfish
    I used winchester for a long time in a dpms 308 and it shot fine but when I wanted to shoot 60 at the X-ring they were just not getting me there. I have improved my brass preperation as well. If you like Winchester, use 'em. If you are not getting the groups you like work on your case prep, if that doesn't get you there try a different primer.
    Last edited by stangfish; 12-27-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Basic Member

Cool thanks! Well I got the loader ordered, I'm going to pick up my powder primers and bullets when I go pick up my gun I got the ATF delay due to extreme call volume! Maybe my loader will show up next week.

Well if you want to have a little fun at the Dillon Boys expense, Remind them that Dillon used a few of Lee's patents. The opposite was also true, but I'm sure they will get a little red-arsed anyway

Winchester Primers are CCI primers. I have a few friends who work at the ATK empire, their claim is the "specs" are no different, just the boxes.
    Last edited by darkker; 12-27-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I have a Lee turret & a Lee Single stage. One on each end of the bench. When I get going & get a good rythum going. I can run both with 2 hands & one foot. Any time I've had trouble with rifle primers, it's always been Winchester. I always use CCI. They fit Federal brass better after 3- 4 firngs.
    The 'ol sloppy pocket syndrome....
    PS - Can;'t ever recall any misfires, duds or blow outs with CCI.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

I run a lot of Lee Collet Die sets and add in the Redding Body Die to bump back the shoulders as needed.

As far as primers go, I have run CCI in my Small Rifle stuff just because last year I got 5 bricks for 18 bucks each, so with the others at around $30 couldn't pass it up. My 308 gets nothing but Winchester just because that gun shoots so good, I am not changing anything on its load. As for everything else I have run Winchester, Federal, and CCI with a couple of Wolfs thrown in. All I can tell you is the Wolfs will dirty up your primer feeder with a rust like color and federals will fire witha lighter strike than the Winchesters or CCI.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm0812 View Post
    Progressive presses are only really acceptable if you're loading pistol, because you can punch out 500 rounds an hour.

If you're just loading for rifle, you don't want to rush through the process.
    i agree with matt, i have the dillon 550 and use it mostly for pistol rounds anymore. for rifle rounds i am now using the Lee Classic which works fine. i have had 2 rock chuckers in the past and they worked well also.

acemisser
    I used winchester for a long time in a dpms 308 and it shot fine but when I wanted to shoot 60 at the X-ring they were just not getting me there. I have improved my brass preperation as well. If you like Winchester, use 'em. If you are not getting the groups you like work on your case prep, if that doesn't get you there try a different primer.
    What is a dpms 308 ? I use a lot of winchester brass as well as remington...they both work well......what number post is this? lol

Aren't Hornady presses limited to their own dies?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    Aren't Hornady presses limited to their own dies?
    As far as I know they use the standard thread now. I ended up getting the lee press, but brownells is so buried up right now my order still has not processed.

My DPMS LRT SASS has never liked anything Winchester for some reason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast