Thread: Scope Rating in order from SWFA- Quality, clairity, etc. 2008 ratings

Basic Member

Scope Rating in order from SWFA- Quality, clairity, etc. 2008 ratings

Another member sent this to me and I thought it was an interesting listing. Not sure all the criteria that they use, but it can all be found on SWFA's website.

2008 Riflescope Rating Scale

10 - Swarovski Z6, Zeiss Victory
    9 - Kahles C - CL & CSX, Schmidt & Bender
    8 - Kahles KX, U.S. Optics, Swarovski PH & American, X.O.T.I.C., Zeiss Classic
    7 - Bushnell Elite 6500, Leupold VX-7, Nightforce, IOR Valdada
    6 - Bushnell Elite 4200, Nikon Monarch & Monarch X, Zeiss Conquest
    5 - Leupold Mark 4 VX III & VX-L, Nikon Monarch Gold & Titanium, Sightron SIII
    4 - Burris Black Diamond Signature Select XTR & Euro Diamond, Meopta, Pentax Lightseeker, Super Sniper, Trijicon Accupoint, Weaver Grand Slam
    3 - Bushnell Elite 3200, Leatherwood, Leupold VX-II, Millet, Nikon Buckmaster, Sightron SI & SII, Simmons Aetec, Vortex
    2 - Burris Fullfield II & Timberline, Leupold Rifleman & VX-I, Mueller, Nikon ProStaff, Simmons, Swift
    1 - Barska, BSA, Tasco
    0 - ATN, Leapers, NcStar

Ratings from a bunch of different factors from SWFA. You can find this on their site.

Re: Scope Rating in order from SWFA- Quality, clairity, etc. 2008 ratings

WOW, wheres "NIGHTFORCE"?
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Think I would have Vortex a little higher if they are using the Viper, but they dont even mention which model...

Nightforce is #7 Dennis(actually 3rd best group)..Kinda odd.

I wonder if SWFA has one for this year?
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Yes there is a 09 list go to www.opticstalk.com
    Lots of good info on most makes and I found it to be pretty impartial.
    once on the site go to rifle scopes and it is on page 3. The vortex scopes are listed 3 models.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Heres the 2009 ratings chart, along with the values(which I dont agree with). I cannot believe they only gave 15% to reliability ::). If it aint reliable it dont matter how good the freakin glass is IMO. Anyway. here it is:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_post...TID=16515&PN=1

The scale below was formed by SWFA sales staff, customer service, pro-staff and owners using personal experience, customer input and facts supplied by the manufacturers. The ranking system is based on the following criteria.

51% Optical Quality - How bright and clear the scope is.

15% Specifications - Field of view, eye relief, weight, adjustment travel, etc.

15% Durability - How do they with stand the test of time.

12% Special Features & Options - Proprietary items (reticles, design, turrets), Zoom ratio.

7% Warranty & Customer Service - How good are they.

0% Value - Bang for your buck. This criteria has been removed due to O.T. member input.

In order to maintain the scale's simplicity we are not listing every single manufacture and only major manufactures will have several of their brands listed. This scale also does not have discontinued brands or products like the old U.S.A. made Redfields, Japan Tasco or Japan Simmons Aetec. This scale is heavily weighted toward HUNTING as being the application the scope will be used for.

2009 Riflescope Rating Scale(groups from best to worst)

-Leica ER, Swarovski Z6, Zeiss Victory

-Kahles C - CL & CSX, Premier Reticle, Schmidt & Bender

-Kahles KX, U.S. Optics, Swarovski PH & American Lightweight

-Bushnell Elite 6500, Leupold VX-7, Nightforce NXS, IOR Valdada, Vortex Razor

-Bushnell Elite 4200, Leupold VX-3, Nikon Monarch & Monarch X, Zeiss Conquest

-Leupold Mark 4 VX III & VX-L, Meopta, Nikon Monarch Gold & Titanium, Sightron SIII & S2 Big Sky, Vortex Viper

-Burris Black Diamond Signature Select XTR & Euro Diamond, Pentax Lightseeker, Trijicon Accupoint, Weaver Grand Slam

-Bushnell Elite 3200, Leupold VX-II, Millet Tactical/Buck Gold, Nikko Stirling, Nikon Buckmaster, Sightron SI & SII, Vortex Crossfire & Diamondback, Super Sniper Fixed

-Burris Fullfield II & Timberline, Leupold Rifleman & VX-I, Leatherwood, Mueller, Nikon ProStaff, Simmons

-Barska, Sightmark, Swift, Truglo

-BSA, Tasco, Yukon

ATN, Leapers, NcStar

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

2recon

have a Bushnell 6500 4.5-30....the glass is the clearest I've seen..that ranking puts it in w/ nightforce & Leupold vx-7..I've seen them used on different sites for $550..which is a deal for what your getting & it has a lifetime warranty

pa hog

Thatscrap! There's no way Tasco's better than NcStar!!! ::)

Nightforce is #7 Dennis(actually 3rd best group)..Kinda odd.
    It's definetly hid in there!!!!!!!!

Thatscrap! There's no way Tasco's better than NcStar!!!
    This is funny!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member

I'm surprised the Sightron SII was rated so low and the same as the SI. I have an Elite 4200, two Monarchs and my eyes can not tell the difference between them and the Sightron SII.

I also have an older Tasco 6-24x50 and yeah, it's a lot better than the NC Star one I tried at Gander Mountain. Can't speak to the current production Tasco's though.

Hoot
    In [b]Theory[/b], there is no difference between theory and practice. In [b]Practice[/b], there is.

lwink

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot

I also have an older Tasco 6-24x50 and yeah, it's a lot better than the NC Star one I tried at Gander Mountain. Can't speak to the current production Tasco's though.
    There's your proof pa hog -- better sell all those NC Stars and upgrade to Tasco Seriously though, Lots of debate over this -- and like many I wish they'd get rid of some of the judging categories and have a rating for just glass quality, reliability/repeatability, and things like that -- forget about options because if I know I want a 8-32 I don't care that the Nightforce doesn't have many other power ranges available, which is why the 6500 gets higher than the 4200 and brings some of the higher quality glass (maybe) down a group or two. Anyways, a great place to start and when I bought my first "nice" scope I got one from the highest on this list I could in my budget, and I've been nothing but happy so far.

Uncle Jack

Gotta agree with El Wink. I was a TV news cameraman most of my life and have stared through a few lenses. When you are out in the field whether it's a photo op with the president in Bangkok or a 7 X 7 elk at a 150yrds the only things that count are optical quality and durability. Everything else don't mean squat.

uj