Thread: Accuracy, Premium vs Non Premium in Light Weight Sporter Barrels???

Basic Member

Accuracy, Premium vs Non Premium in Light Weight Sporter Barrels???

I'm planning on building a lighter-weight 22" barreled hunting rifle using either a .257 Bob or 6.5x55 for furbearers to whitetails.

Using lightweight sporter barrels, is there much real world difference in accuracy between the more expensive aftermarket barrels and factory? For example Shilen, CBI etc. vs ER Shaw or Savage factory.

Inquiring minds and pocketbooks are curious
    Thanks
    Jeff

Team Savage
    I have not necessarily seen a noticable difference in accuracy between a 22" custom barrel, ER Shaw barrel, Savage factory 22" sporter, or Savage 20" feather weight barrel all in 260. They have all shot sub 1" groups @ 100 yrd after working up the best load. A Savage 260 factory 22" sporter barrel weights 2 lbs 8 oz and a Savage 260 LWH 20" feather weight barrel weights 1 lb, 15 oz for reference. I also once had a custom Sin Arms 22" feather weight barrel that weighed 2 lbs, 1 oz. The biggest difference is that custom barrels tend to foul less and clean up easier. You won't find a Savage factory prefit LW barrel in the calibers or length you mentioned unless you have it custom made. You should be able to find an ER Shaw barrel and have it cut/recrowed from the standard 24" down to 22". It it is going to weigh about 2 lbs 10 oz due to a slightly heavier contour ER Shaw uses.

As you can see, I tried out many barrel and stock combinations trying to build the lightest, most accurate Savage hunting rifle possible. This was before the introduction of the Savage 11/111 LWH. Based on my experience, my advice is to buying one. It is by far the quickest, easiest and cheapest way to get to the lightest Savage hunting rifle available.
    Last edited by jpdown; 12-21-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Basic Member
    Once again, it depends on the barrel (premium or not). You can get a lemon or you can get a shooter (premium or not).

Shoot what you have and then decide.