Thread: How much recoil for a one piece base before needing one with an integral recoil lug?

Basic Member

How much recoil for a one piece base before needing one with an integral recoil lug?

Any thoughts, suggestions? I just bought a 116FCSS in 375 Ruger (which is pretty awsome by the way) and I've never had any trouble before but just wondered if I should consider getting a base with a built in recoil lug or if a standard rail would be fine. Have any of you ever sheared the screws to a base from recoil before?

Banned
    i have on my 375 h&h magnum,it was a set of leupold bases that has that elevation srew on the back.

I've also got one and shot some pretty heavy loads out of it with no troubles yet.

Weaver base, burris signature rings and a nikon 4.5-14 scope. A heavier scope would be harder on it but it's working good so far.

Before getting all fancy with the lug stuff just use some lock tight on the bases and screws......at the most I would get larger mount screws for the actual mounts.....it would require a little gunsmithing but very easy to do.

Basic Member
    I always use loctite. I wasn't concerned about them working loose. I was wondering about them shearing under recoil. I'm sure a larger, heavier scope would put more stress on it but most likely you wouldn't put that large of a scope on a 375 anyway. I thought about converting it to larger screws as well but I think before I would do that I would either leave it as is or use a base with a recoil lug. Depending on which Weaver base you have it may have a lug. The tactical has an integral recoil lug on it. The Lapua actions I think have the larger screws but this 375 Ruger model looks like the same size as standard actions. Of course, another thought too is that you have 4 screws that the force is being displaced on so it's not like it's just one or two screws.