Hello all,
From what I have read so far this seems to be a very respectful and helpful community - thank you for letting me join.

I bought a new Savage 22 lr RASCAL youth today for my son (first Savage in the family!). He is not old enough to shoot yet, but this seemed to be a great rifle to help learn responsibility, safety, and fundamental shooting.

My problem is that while I am a shooter I have very little experience with rimfire weapons and NO experience with bolt action rifles (which is why I had planned on finding us both an instructor). The weapon will be locked up, so I decided to insert the bolt. I am not sure how, but the firing pin seems to be cocked and the bolt cannot be fully inserted. The RASCAL has a one piece bolt, and I have had no luck finding instructions in the manual or online to correct this problem (probably because most people know better than to do this).

Even though he is a few years off from using the rifle, I would love to have him unwrap a functional (and safe) gift in the next few days. I would really appreciate any help. Thank you!