Thread: Figuring out velocity

Samdweezel05

Figuring out velocity

Can I use known bullet data from the manufacturer and data that I collect at the range with a specific bullet to figure out velocity? If all the bullet specs are known, ie. weight and BC, and I have an accurate measurement for bullet drop between lets say 100-200-300yds, can I figure out the muzzle velocity and drop past 300yds? I had a crony once but no longer.

helotaxi
    As long as the bullet data that you have is accurate and you have eliminated other variables such as shot-to-shot dispersion and so forth, yes; but it won't be nearly as accurate as a measured shot. You would need a center of group measurement for a 10 shot group at each range to eliminate the other variables. Having an accurate BC is vital to this working well at all. Litz measurements would be the preferred source.

Yep litz data is the way to go for sure. There can be quite the difference between advertised bc's and actual bc's especially if you are shooting a Nosler.

Stomp, have you found the Noslers to be a higher BC than advertised or lower?
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

Way lower than advertised by as much as 12% for some of their bullets. Issue number 81 of the varmint hunter has some very good BC comparison data by litz and the air force academy. I think I made a PDF of the article if your interested I can email it to you. Send me a pm.

Are you going to be anywhere near exit 22, I have some stuff you can have.

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Samdweezel05
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Are you going to be anywhere near exit 22, I have some stuff you can have.

Tanks Dean
    What kind of stuff? I like stuff.

I have bullets and dies, I know I have brass I just cant find it,

Tanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Samdweezel05
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I have bullets and dies, I know I have brass I just cant find it,

Tanks Dean
    Are you talking .308? My build may have changed after a phone call I got tonight. It's hard to pass up an 1895 in .45-70. I may just have to own a big bore lever gun as of tomorrow morning.

Yes I was referring to a 308, as far as that 45-70 goes, go for it sounds like an awesome piece of history.

Tanks Dean

helotaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    Way lower than advertised by as much as 12% for some of their bullets. Issue number 81 of the varmint hunter has some very good BC comparison data by litz and the air force academy. I think I made a PDF of the article if your interested I can email it to you. Send me a pm.
    Nosler is hardly the only one that has fudged the numbers a bit. Some of the Hornady and Sierra numbers were shown to be off a good bit as well.

Yeah but the other manufactures were much closer to the test numbers with over estimates in the 3-4% range with some being under estimated like the Sierra Match Kings. Virtually every Nosler tested was over estimated by at least 6% with most around the 8-10% range. Nosler also lists the same B.C.s for the Ballistic tips as well as the Acubonds even though they have different dimensions. I wouldn't trust anything Nosler prints but thats just me.

Nosler has recently come out with a ALR bullet (accubond Long Range) that has listed B.C.s 80-100 points higher than Berger B.C.s depending on caliber. Dont buy that for a minute.

Basic Member
    If you compare the velocities that are in Nosler load manuals to an actual chrono they are also way high at least in my experience.

Regards, Keith