Thread: Bad Remington Brass?

Basic Member

Bad Remington Brass?

the problem must have been mine, don't know how but it was. the other day i had gone to Cabelas and bought NEW REMINGTON brass to fireform for the 243AI, when i opened the bag of new brass and poured it out i noticed one case that just stuck out from the others. it had this gouge or ring around the bottom of it about 1/2-3/4 from the base of the cartridge. i checked the rest of the brass for any other like marks and didn't notice any. kind of made me reconsider using this lot of brass and i called Remington to alert them to this "bad case" and the woman i talked to said to dispose of it and they would send me some replacement brass. i asked if she wanted any pictures as i already had taken them and her response was "no, just toss the bad case." today i received my replacement brass (5rounds) and am happy with that. i still wonder if the rest of the batch is good to use or not. i have enclosed pics so you can see what you might watch out for!

82boy
    Everyone can have bad pieces of brass, Heck I have bought a few boxes of lapua brass, that had junk in them. I bought a box of 6.5x47 Lapua brass made by lapua, and it had a few pieces that looked like they was double stamped, and the primer pockets are bad, the brass is junk, cant be loaded. I contacted lapua, and they offered to replace the cases, but I never took them up on the offer. Just because you get a couple of cases that look bad, dont mean the rest is bad.

The last bag of Winchester brass I loaded had 7 bad ones in it. Four of them I could repair and use but 3 of them could not be used. One of them had a fold in the neck that ran up and down, one had a big u shaped gouge in the neck, and the other one had the primer pocket closed it was flat. I use either Rem. or Lapua when I can get them.

Basic Member
    i asked them if it would be safe to use the rest, waiting for their response. i just would like to know i am covered should something happen that's not my fault.

There are no guarantees in reloading period.If your gun is strong and you dont overpressure to shoot lazer rounds like you shouldnt anyways,you will be fine.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Sorry ,have to add this. In the shooting and reloading community,winchester brass is way stronger and more stable than remmy brass,it is the most consistent as well.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    Sorry ,have to add this. In the shooting and reloading community,winchester brass is way stronger and more stable than remmy brass,it is the most consistent as well.
    thanks Jon, that is what i'll be using from now on!

JCalhoun
    The Winchester .243 brass is awful. Look at the reviews on Midway to see reviews of it by me and lots of others.

Funny how different calibers of brass are regarded; most folks LOVE Win 7-08 brass but the 243 has issues?

RP 260 brass is inconsistent but 7SAUM is great?

Hornady Creedmoor brass is fantastic, but 308 is garbage?

rrflyer
    I have 500 pieces of win 243 brass I've turned into 260 brass. Not a single problem in 10 bags......

If take win over remington any day

I also prefer Winchester over Remington brass. Winchester always seems better made to me.

Basic Member
    I recently picked up some 270 WSM brass made by winchester and many wouldn't fit into the shellholder, while others went in without issue. I also had 3 that developed neck splits during bullet seating. I contacted winchester and they sent a call tag so they can take a look at it, so good on them. This was just this week, so I don't yet know more.

Winchester making brass or is it now farmed out?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guhunter View Post
    I recently picked up some 270 WSM brass made by winchester and many wouldn't fit into the shellholder, while others went in without issue. I also had 3 that developed neck splits during bullet seating. I contacted winchester and they sent a call tag so they can take a look at it, so good on them. This was just this week, so I don't yet know more.
    well at least Winchester was interested enough to want to look at the problem! Remington had me email them a pic of the bad case and sent me 5 good cases in return. i thought they would want to examine the case in questiion.
    oh well, i'm 4 cases ahead for my time.

JCalhoun
    The rumor is that it's coming from Turkey or some place like that but the bags I've seen still say made in USA.

I'm not sure how much of Winchester's brass crappy. My bad experience is with new .243 brass and I found the case mouths were crooked, primer pockets were tight and loose, flash holes were very ragged and not even close to center on some and one case was a .243W with a .308W headstamp.

I was loading it for my nephew's Axis so I didn't need extreme quality but I should never have needed to do that much work to new brass.
    Last edited by JCalhoun; 12-08-2012 at 12:15 AM.

I had Win .25-06 and .220 swift that started separating in 2 firings last spring. But then over the years I have had bad lots in Rem and Fed also
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    The last two bags of winchester 300wm brass was awful could not get primers in and case mouths were terrible, they made good on it though.

Basic Member
    I rarely use any Remington brass anymore.I get more split necks with Remington brass than any other brand.
    They only load 2-3 times,and start splitting necks,and I don't load near max in very many calibers. I also anneal all of my brass every 3 firings,and have Winchester brass with up to 15 firings before they are trashed.
    I've also had good results with Hornady brass.

"The rumor is that it's coming from Turkey or some place like that but the bags I've seen still say made in USA."

If this is true, this is very serious and the fact that it is known is very disturbing.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

JCalhoun
    Dean;

As far as I know it's only a rumor.

I have a couple hundred Winchester .243 that I necked up to .260. Only a couple loads on each, but no issues at all. I also have a couple hundred more that I plan to use in my new .243 that I haven't looked at too closely, but cursory inspections didn't turn up any flaws.

As far as Winchester being made offshore I haven't seen any of their components marked anything but USA, but I know that Winchester white box 5.56 is being made all over the world now. The range I use checks all winchester 5.56 for steel jackets because a lot of the foreign manufacturers use steel jacketed bullets. Even some of the boxes marked USA are showing up with foreign components with steel jacketed bullets.