Thread: Scope lens cleaning

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...

Scope lens cleaning

What's a good way to clean scope lenses? Is there anything out there that I can use that's specifically for lens cleaning that won't leave streaks & won't affect coatings?

My wife works for an eye surgeon & deals with optics daily. She says for a quick clean, a lint free cloth with a few drops of alcohol. A friend of mine says ammonia with clean, filtered water. My father spits on his binoculars or camera lens & wipes it with his shirt tail.

As you see, I've had exposure to various methods of lens cleaning. I hate dirty glass in my scopes. It's hard enough to see as you get older without dealing with streaky glass.

Anyone have anything useful on this?

Thanks,
    Frank in Fla
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 12-19-2012 at 06:56 AM.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Frank, I would think that with todays lens coatings I personally would not use any ammonia based cleaners. Might try one of those lens pens they sell and or compressed air(for blowing off dust).
    I would think that the eye glass cleaner with the proper cloth would work the best. I'm sure your wife must have some samples somewhere at work to try.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    I was thinking of trying the RainX or Invisiglass throw away wipes that come in a little foil pack like a hand wipe. Be easy to keep a few in the pocket of my soft cases. But have also been afraid of the effects on coatings but the makers claim they are safe for camera lenses so I think I'll give em a try.

ODA 0121
    I've heard reps from S&B, NF, USO and Leupold all say the same thing...clean the lens surface as little as possible. And if real dirt gets on the lens surface flush with water until dirt is removed not rubbing or wiping in any way until all dirt is gone. It's not that the surface coatings can't take it, it's that most will over clean and put minute scratches on the coatings.

I've had scopes get mud, and grime on the lens surface to the point it interfered with the reticle and used an easy flow of water out of a hose to flush the surface till it was clean and then gently wiped it with a lens cloth. For "bad" dust, air and soft brush only.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I'm inclined to agree with everyone. i have personally screwed up more coated lenses than I care to admit. I have a scope with spots from a light rain. I hate to rub it & I really don't want to make it any worse.

I think I'll try a little softened water.

Thank for you input gents.
    Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Samdweezel05
    I like to use wd-40 and a dirty rag.

Samdweezel05
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    What's a good way to clean scope lenses? Is there anything out there that I can use that's specifically for lens cleaning that won't leave streaks & won't affect coatings?

My wife works for an eye surgeon & deals with optics daily. She says for a quick clean, a lint free cloth with a few drops of alcohol. A friend of mine says ammonia with clean, filtered water. My father spits on his binoculars or camera lens & wipes it with his shirt tail.

As you see, I've had exposure to various methods of lens cleaning. I hate dirty glass in my scopes. It's hard enough to see as you get older without dealing with streaky glass.

Anyone have anything useful on this?

Thanks,
    Frank in Fla
    Looks like dad already taught you how to do it.

helotaxi
    They make coating friendly spray cleaners that you use to float the dirt off the surface and then dab up with a lens cloth. From there a lens pen works well to get rid of the spots left by the cleaning solution. The key is to get any grit off the lens before you wipe it.

Spit makes a very good anti-fogging treatment but only after the lens is clean.