Thread: Savage or Steven's

possum1

Savage or Steven's

I have a Steven's .243 I purchased from a friend, he said a local smith done a 2# or less trigger job on it, is this possible in this model? I love the way this gun shoot's I have no problem's with it. The main question is I want a .223 in this, Is there any difference in the Steven's or Savage other than the cosmetic's or accuracy?

Re: Savage or Steven's

Stevens is a little duller finish, may show machine marks and doesn't come with the Accu-trigger or Accu-stock but is basically a Savage at heart. Customize it as you would a Savage. Many Stevens are accurate shooters right out of the box. The tupperware stock leaves a lot to be desired because of the flex in the forearm and the factory trigger is unadjustable (except by polishing the mating surfaces) but, those short comings can be fixed.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

davemuzz

If your looking to do a barrel swap on the Stevens, you may want to look at the for sale boards and just wait until a used or a never shot .223 barrel comes up.

Then buy it cheap. Then you can change out the barrel, and probably your bolt head, and your magazine and you will probably have a good shootin .223.

However, I would think twice about sinking a lot of bucks into the Stevens. If your going to do that, you just may want to look at buying an action with the .223 bolt face on it, then look for a stock, and then go with a quality aftermarket barrel.

Then, not only will you have a fine shooting rifle, but you will have a rifle worth more than just an "upgraded" Stevens should you choose to sell it in the future.

But if you a buy it and keep it forever guy.....that may not matter.

Just something to consider.

Dave

Team Savage

The only real differnece I see is savages have a smoother metal finish and a top bluing job.
    Stevens finish can be pretty rough. Basically the same rifle though. Stevens has the old trigger.

That said I dont like either trigger.

Get a SSS cometition trigger later on and you will see what I mean.

82boy

I have seen Stevens with top polished high gloss blue that was superb. The Stevens is not always a dull finish gun.

If you look in the FAQs section you will find some information on the two.