Thread: 22 hornet

22 hornet

Going to start loading some 22 hornet, I have on hand Imr 4320,4350, 4895 & lil gun and can find a load for all of them. I know it used to be a standard to use imr 4227 and now it seems like lil gun is it.I will be using a 53gr.SMK to start, it is a little heavey but it is what I have in my stock, so what say all of you shooting the hornet,where do you think I should start.
    With previous hornet I never had one that was worth trying for small groups because they all shot terrible (2 rems & 1 ruger), now I will be trying a model 40. It is a Savage so it has to be accurate, right.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

dnsmith
    I use Lil' Gun and CCI small pistol primers. Have used both Rem and Win brass, both give satisfactory results. I don't have any load data for the 53 SMK, after some experimentation I am now using only the hornet-specific bullets in mine. I get very good results with the sierra 40 g bullets made for the hornet and the Speer 33 g TNT's for the hornet. Either 12 or 13 g of Lil' gun in either case. Some guys will tell you to use the Lee factory crimp for better results, I have yet to try it.

My rifle is the Savage model 40 and it is very accurate. I had some initial issues reloading for the .22 hornet, was crushing a lot of necks. once I got the FL die set correctly and started using the hornet-specific bullets, I'm not having any more issues. A lot of ppl shoot the 40 g v-max for the .223 in the hornet and report good results. I found that it was bulging and sometimes crushing my cases, and also that it would get hung up on extraction if the round wasn't fired because the OAL was too long for the ejection port. YMMV, as they say.

mcho
    Lil' Gun may not work with the 53gr. bullet. Be careful. Mark

Thumper
    I've got a CZ 527 that makes bug holes with 13.5grs of Lil' gun, Rem brass, CCI 500 primers, topped with Midways dogtown 34gr hp's, and Lee Factory Crimped delivers 3,000 fps! My Raging Hornet does best with that same load in Win brass also. Good Luck!

If it ever gets here I will start my load developement. Got email that payment got there and it would be shipped Tues. with tracking no. since then I haven't heard a word and the seller hasn't marked anything as received or sent on the GB site.
    FROGGY

Basic Member
    start at about 10.5gr of lil' gun max being around 12gr.

Boomer58cal
    I've become a huge fan of the V-max and SST. I've loaded them in my bro's .223, my 6.5 Jan, 7mm mag, 30-06 and 22 hornet. They even work great in my 30-30(not for tubular magazines). I use the 40 gr. in the hornet. I can remember the load for sure offhand but it's about 11 gr. of IMR 4895. Like always start low and work up. This load is far more accurate than I am. What ever you use good shooting and be safe.

Boomer58cal
    Double post sorry I'm new here
    Last edited by Boomer58cal; 02-18-2013 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer58cal View Post
    I've become a huge fan of the V-max and SST. I've loaded them in my bro's .223, my 6.5 Jan, 7mm mag, 30-06 and 22 hornet. They even work great in my 30-30(not for tubular magazines). I use the 40 gr. in the hornet. I can remember the load for sure offhand but it's about 11 gr. of IMR 4895. Like always start low and work up. This load is far more accurate than I am. What ever you use good shooting and be safe.
    You're using IMR4895 please tell me more. That is the only powder I use for all my rifle loads, I had the lil gun for my 410 and thought I would try it, only problem cases are not getting extracted. I brought the gun to Savage and they put new extractors in but it still isn't extracting.
    FROGGY

Quote Originally Posted by mcho View Post
    I agree, that is a rather heavy bullet for lil gun.
    I would suggest getting some hornady 35 gr v maxs with 11.5- 13 gr of lil gun.

Boomer58cal

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    You're using IMR4895 please tell me more. That is the only powder I use for all my rifle loads, I had the lil gun for my 410 and thought I would try it, only problem cases are not getting extracted. I brought the gun to Savage and they put new extractors in but it still isn't extracting.
    First off I'm not at home so I don't have my log book in front of me. I should not have posted the amount of powder because I can't be sure. I'll post the "true" load tomorrow.

I use only three different powders at this time for center fire. IMR 4895, IMR 4350 and Alliant 2400. I am looking into a second pistol powder though. The reason I've stuck with these powders is they will work in almost anything.IMR 4895 my not be the best you get for somethings but it's almost never a bad choice. I'll get you my load data tomorrow. The load was not as hot as I could go so should be safe for you but like always start low and work up.

I am not questioning your load, but I have never found a 4895 load for the hornet. I am going to start loading 45gr Sierra hornet bullets and would deffinately rather use the IMR4895 because I buy it 8lbs. at a time(keeps the shelf uncluttered).My charge master is always full of it so just changing the drops makes it easier.
    Now if I can figure out why it won't extract I'll be good to go.
    FROGGY

Boomer58cal
    Try checking you chamber/cartridge dimensions. Sometimes the heavy bullets are to long for some guns and dig into the railings.This can cause over pressure and bulge the case. Chamber could be dirty. Are there markings of any kind on your cases or in your chamber? If your using hand loads they could be to hot. I'm sure I've mist something but hope that helps.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcho View Post
    53 GR. BAR XFB Hodgdon Lil'Gun .224" 1.850" 11.0 2310 32,800 CUP 12.0 2509 39,000 CUP
    Aries by birth, Taurus by choice.

Basic Member
    What successful load did you come up with on your Savage 40?

I haven't. Ran out of bullits and can't find any as of yet, I am on email notification at 3 differenet places for about 2 months now.
    11grns of little gun showed some hope.
    FROGGY

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    I haven't. Ran out of bullits and can't find any as of yet, I am on email notification at 3 differenet places for about 2 months now.
    11grns of little gun showed some hope.
    What bullets are you waiting on?

Sierra 45gr. #1210
    FROGGY

Basic Member
    I have had the best luck with Lil Gun and AA 1680. I use Lil Gun for 40 grains and over, but I have had good results with 1680 and Midsouth 34 grain Varmint Nightmares.