Thread: Choate stock bolt too long?

masterblaster

Choate stock bolt too long?

I bought a 10 FP 308 back in 2006, have not shot it much (1000 rnds) as the feeding is not that great, failure to pick up round and failure to eject spent cartridges, trying to fix the issues with new ejector ball bearing and spring as well as a new blade and box spring and follower. I installed all that and went to remount the action to the Choate Ultimate sniper, using the proper tq of 55 INCH pounds, longer bolt in the rear, the problem is that the bolt in the rear is coming through the action and binding into the bolt, locking it into place, what the hell am I doing wrong. Thanks in advance for any help gents.

PS this rifle shoots 1/2 MOA at 100, one of the best shooters I ever shot out of the box in my life, only out done by another 223 10 FP I bought at the same time which is what I use a lot.

helotaxi
    I'm assuming that the Choate stock is a new addition to the rifle? If so, it just needs a shorter action screw. Figure out how much shorter it needs to be and very carefully use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to remove a couple of threads from the screw until it doesn't protrude anymore, or just replace the screw with a new one of the correct length. Not uncommon when changing stocks to discover that one or both of the action screws that you have are too long or short for the new stock.

masterblaster
    This is the original stock, just hasn't been used much, I have been using my M!A loaded with iron sights to keep my skills up but coming up on 50 so need to switch to scopes as my main form of shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
    I'm assuming that the Choate stock is a new addition to the rifle? If so, it just needs a shorter action screw. Figure out how much shorter it needs to be and very carefully use a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to remove a couple of threads from the screw until it doesn't protrude anymore, or just replace the screw with a new one of the correct length. Not uncommon when changing stocks to discover that one or both of the action screws that you have are too long or short for the new stock.

Basic Member
    Did you possibly lose a washer when you were removing the stock? I think that my Choate came with washers on the bolts.

Have seen that the action screws are 1/4 x 20 thread, if i am wrong some one chime in with the correct size

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by Balljoint View Post
    Have seen that the action screws are 1/4 x 20 thread, if i am wrong some one chime in with the correct size
    Ding, dong.
    Negative, Ghostrider, That would be 1/4" x 28tpi.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    trying to fix the issues with new ejector ball bearing and spring as well as a new blade and box spring and follower.
    WTF??! Why are you fooling with the EJECTOR, as a FEEDING issue fix??

As to the bolts, the boys have you set. If you need to shim the bolt..... Then shim it.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

masterblaster
    I am guessing ya cant get these locally at home depot.

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Ding, dong.
    Negative, Ghostrider, That would be 1/4" x 28tpi.

helotaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by kelbro View Post
    Did you possibly lose a washer when you were removing the stock? I think that my Choate came with washers on the bolts.
    Probably the case. Unbolted it and didn't notice that there was a washer which then fell out once the stock was set down.

masterblaster
    I called Savage gave them my serial number and symptoms, they said they had a lot of ejection issues around that time of production for both the 223 and 308, so they sent the parts to me. I probably did lose the washers will look on my work bench and get new bolts from savage or Choate. Thanks for the help gents.

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    WTF??! Why are you fooling with the EJECTOR, as a FEEDING issue fix??

As to the bolts, the boys have you set. If you need to shim the bolt..... Then shim it.

thomae
    I am guessing ya cant get these locally at home depot.
    Nope. Not at Lowe's either. However they might be available at a locally owned "old fashioned" type hardware store. Some folks have had success at Ace Hardware, but my local Ace does not carry them. I did get some at an industrial supply place near me, and Macmaster Carr, Grainger, and Fastenal sell them for not a whole lot of money.

The easiest thing to do is to either find the original washers, or shim them with washers from your local hardware store, or else grind down the bolt until it fits again. You can use a belt sander to grind the bolt, just go slowly and dip in water to cool it off.

masterblaster
    I normally use Ace, but the only one that was well stocked here in Miami is now closed as of a few months ago the next one is a hundred miles north. There is a Granger south of me in Miami, Miami people tend not to be tinkerers, they usually just throw stuff away and buy new (except for the Cubans who do some ingenious stuff with very little), will try there tomorrow or call Choate and have them mailed to me. Thanks for the help and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Nope. Not at Lowe's either. However they might be available at a locally owned "old fashioned" type hardware store. Some folks have had success at Ace Hardware, but my local Ace does not carry them. I did get some at an industrial supply place near me, and Macmaster Carr, Grainger, and Fastenal sell them for not a whole lot of money.

The easiest thing to do is to either find the original washers, or shim them with washers from your local hardware store, or else grind down the bolt until it fits again. You can use a belt sander to grind the bolt, just go slowly and dip in water to cool it off.

I use 6mm washers, they have smaller O.D.

thomae
    I normally use Ace, but the only one that was well stocked here in Miami is now closed as of a few months ago the next one is a hundred miles north. There is a Granger south of me in Miami, Miami people tend not to be tinkerers, they usually just throw stuff away and buy new (except for the Cubans who do some ingenious stuff with very little), will try there tomorrow or call Choate and have them mailed to me. Thanks for the help and advice.
    Suggestion: Check online first, gut the stock number, and then call the store to see if they are in stock. You might save yourself some gas money.

To simple to just shorten the screw that is to long?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

masterblaster
    Now you forced me to admit what a dumass I am , I tried that and now the front is too short, yep frikken genius I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    To simple to just shorten the screw that is to long?

put the front in first, then the rear, then tighten
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member
    Good to see this is still a problem after 10 years. This is the thing that makes me think of using anything else but a Choate stock. Darned shame too as I like the basic design.

masterblaster
    I am pretty happy with the Choate, just ordered another for my 700 sps with teh CDI mag metal. Talked to Choate this morning and they sent me a set of new bolts with washers.

Quote Originally Posted by r3dn3ck View Post
    Good to see this is still a problem after 10 years. This is the thing that makes me think of using anything else but a Choate stock. Darned shame too as I like the basic design.