Thread: model 25 walking varminter in 204

Indabush

model 25 walking varminter in 204

Hello all just registered to your forum. Purchased a 204, like the feel of the rifle with the exception of the plastic trigger guard, and to the point of the message the detachable mag. It's supposed to hold four rounds but the fourth is more than difficult to insert. Even with three rounds in the mag it has to manipulated just so to insert into the gun. And then if removed, again adjusted before reinserting. No repeatability. I found reviews on the Midway shooters supply site while looking for replacements. There was several people with the same issue. I won't be able to contact savage until Friday,but one of the reviewers noted they would replace the bad one with another bad one . OH Yay!! No shots fired yet as it was a gift from my wife and will wait until after Christmas per her request.

Anyone had this problem or found a solution? Didn't know if a gunsmith could use a different spring or alter the existing one in the magazine. The spring seems like it's the problem. Thanks for any input.

velvetguru
    I own a model 25 in 204 ruger and in a 222 remington. Each of them holds only 3 rounds in the magazine and 1 in the chamber for a total of 4 rounds. The plastic trigger guard and magazine are probably something you will have to live with if you want to own a model 25. I've never had a problem with the magazines on mine. Best of luck to you.

Joe

Serendipity
    I realize you guys are talking about the 204 cal. I recently purchased a Model 25 in 17 Hornet. Magazine works great, no issues. I'm sure it might have to do with being a different cartridge (smaller OAL). Hope it all works out. Please keep forum informed. Might get a 204 cal. some day.

Indabush
    Spoke with customer service at Savage yesterday. They will replace my magazine if I send in the original. They also told me when I asked that there was no known issue with the magazines. I decided to wait until after I actually shoot it. I notice the Savage store doesn't have any in stock right now anyway. Also after messing with it more the problem occurs more when trying to insert the mag with the bolt open. That shouldn't make a difference either way. Looking forward to trying it out at the range.