Thread: Anyone ever shoot Hornady 223 75g Match HPBT ammo?

Basic Member

Anyone ever shoot Hornady 223 75g Match HPBT ammo?

I rarely shoot factory ammo as I reload but I picked up a few different boxes of various "match? ammo to see how my Savage 10 FLCPk would shoot and this particular ammo shoots GREAt. like .5" 5-10 shot groups. The Superformance version however does not. The standard match comes out of my barrel at 2711 fps and it just wads up bullet holes into a tiny cluster all the time. I have ordered some of the 75g bullets and I want to recreate the load. I had some superformance left over and pulled a bullet and weighed 26.2grains of a ball powder. The primer is brass so I assume its the Rem 6.5 or 7.5 match primer.

I am going to buy another box of the standard match and pull a bullet and at least weigh up the powder and see if I can determine what it is. Do any of you have ideas?

I figure if I use Hornady brass and bullets and then the 7.5 rem bench rest primers and seat the bullets at factory length then I only have to play with powder and charge weight. Then I will tweak the COAL to fine tune it in.

I have the same rifle as you do and shoot that bullet alot. 24.5 gr Varget, LC brass, Wolf 223 primer, 2.310" OAL. works in the magazine, 2840 fps last summer and very accurate. can't help with the factory load.

Westcliffe01
    I shoot the superformance version in my 10PC and it has made 1/2" groups at 100yds since the first time to the range. I also bought the regular match version but have not fired any of it yet since it "supposedly" has a lower muzzle velocity. I didn't know better, so I bought 8lb of superformance powder only to find that it apparently is not the stuff used in the 223 cartridge. Now I have a 243 and there are loads listed for that caliber.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
    I shoot the superformance version in my 10PC and it has made 1/2" groups at 100yds since the first time to the range. I also bought the regular match version but have not fired any of it yet since it "supposedly" has a lower muzzle velocity. I didn't know better, so I bought 8lb of superformance powder only to find that it apparently is not the stuff used in the 223 cartridge. Now I have a 243 and there are loads listed for that caliber.

I think the superformance version ran around 2900+ on my crony as opposed to the 2711 I got from the standard match version. I have the bullets on order and lots of the 7.5 rem benchrest primers to toy with. Ill post some follow up in a few weeks after I load and shoot some of them

Basic Member
    I pulled the bullets on some of the standard 75G HPBT match ammo from Hornady and here is what I got.

23.8 and 23.9 grains of stick powder clearly a IMR of some type. After checking the manuals that is perfect match for 4064 load data.

The primers are gold so maybe 7.5 Rem match primers. Then of course the brass is Hornady

I have loaded up a range of powder weights from 23.3 up to 24.0 wit 4064 to see how they shoot but I am using lapua brass

Basic Member
    I'm interested in what you find. I just got my first 223 : a Hoghunter now riding in a Choate Tactical stock. Had a hard time finding brass but some is finally on the way along with some 69SMK for starters. Don't know why I waited so long to try this caliber since it has great accuracy and is one of the cheapest to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by rotts4u View Post
    I have ordered some of the 75g bullets and I want to recreate the load.
    I had some superformance left over and pulled a bullet and weighed 26.2grains of a ball powder.

I am going to buy another box of the standard match and pull a bullet and at least weigh up the powder and see if I can determine what it is. Do any of you have ideas?

You have several problems going on here.
    You aren't going to be able to buy the NON-Canister grade powder that they use. Only canister-grade is available to the general population.
    Hodgdon's "superformance" powder is a ball powder, but not what Hornady uses in commercial ammo. Superformance AMMO(that I pulled) was a compressed extruded powder in the 204 and 308.
    Finally, you can WEIGH any powder you want until you are blue in the face. NO commercial ammunition manufacturer loads by weight, they load by VOLUME. Also back to the Canister-Grade problem. The one possible exception MAY be the 6.5 Creed, Hornady ammo.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.