Thread: Pitted Bolt Face

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Franklyn

Pitted Bolt Face

Hello,
    I have noticed an annular pitted ring developing on the bolt face, about the same diameter as the primer pocket. The photo may not show the pitting clearly but it can be clearly felt with any needle like instrument.
    The rifle is a one year old model 10 in .308 and the bolt face has seen 800-900 rounds. At the 400 round mark I replaced the stock barrel with a Brux. The headspace is correct with the case expanding .002 from go gauge headspace when fired. There is no evidence of soot, gas leakage or excessive pressure on any of the fired cases. However, there must be some gas leakage to cause the pitting. I've seen annular discolored rings like this before but I have not seen this degree of pitting with only 900 rounds being fired. I'm thinking of replacing the bolt head with one form PTG. Would you agree with this or is this over reacting? The rifle is used in F/T rifle matches so the round count will be high.

http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/...oducts_id=1291

My questions are:
    Would you replace the bolt head at this time?
    Is this the correct bolt head?
    Will I have to re-headspace the bolt? I'm thinking yes.
    I don't want to send this back to Savage as I've undoubtedly voided the warrenty.

I'm using 168gr Sierra OTM with 43.0 grs RL 15 and CCI LR primers.
    The rifle will regularly shoot 10 round moa groups.
    Thanks in advance,

Frank
    Last edited by Franklyn; 12-15-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Basic Member
    I agree with Gmac, its more a visual annoyance than a problem.

BTW, its what we refer to as "Etching", the result of primer leakage for one reason or another.

Bill

Franklyn
    Thanks, I like the word "etching." I don't reload hot, and I am using R/P and W brass reloaded a max of 5 times. I'm more aware when a primer seats too easily than I was previously(two months ago). If the primer seats too easily, I'll discard the case. I just chronographed the load mentioned above and the average mv is 2660 fps. I'm using a neck sizing die with a bushing on all of reloads except the first. I'm hesitant to change anything when the rifle is shooting so well but I wanted to run this by some other shooters. So for now I'll leave it be.
    Just out of curosity, do you think the headspace would change if a new bolt head was placed?

acemisser
    Frank,

I had the same issue with my 22-250 rifle..What I found out was some of the Winchester brass had gas leakage around the primer
    pockets..If A primer seated to easy I junked the case..The leakage has about disapeared now...And I also switched from the cci primers to fed which seem to seat harder...I don't thing you will have any problems with the pitting...

Werewolf
    To answer one of the OPs questions, you will have to thouroughly check and possibly reset the headspace if you change boltheads. It depends on how lucky you are.

stangfish
    I have never had that problem........

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmac5 View Post
    You say you discard the case when it is easy to seat a primer, the old standard was to keep cases in lots , and when any one from that lot cracked or would no longer safely hold a primer ,you toss the whole lot . Theory being , all same metalurgy,same # of firings , soon to be same gas leakage (which causes pitted bolt face).
    On a savage ,when severe enough ,you replace a $20 bolt head and rehead space, on one piece bolts it gets to be very expensive ,hence the discarding of the whole lot.
    I disagree with your thought of throwing out the whole lot of brass....I have had some split at the necks after 2 or 3 loadings
    and the rest might go for another 10 or more loading's this is 308 winchester....I am not gonna toss all mine out..Thats just plain stupid...

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Mine look like this & they haven't affected anything. Use 'em.
    To replace them means you have a 50 - 50 chance of the headspacing been off. I wouldn't worry about it.

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Franklyn
    Frank in FL,
    My bolt face looks like yours on the right where the metal has burned away and pitted. Thanks for posting!
    I'm not that concerned anymore, thanks to all the posts. I'll continue to use it as is.
    Frank in VT

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    50 - 50 chance of the headspacing been off.

Frank in Fla
    Frank, I didnt realize you were such a hillbilly.....BEEN from Florida and all.

Oh, if the primer falls in without any pressure you might want to discard that case.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Ya know..... I always proofread my posts before I hit the go button. The particular post I guess I only had one eye open....
    OR
    Maybe been / being married to a ridge running, s**t kickin', red neck born & raised in Florida is starting to rub off on me? I recall the first family gathering I attended with her many years ago. I had to relearn the English language. When Gramps said "come git yo' sef a plate & set on down. Ah'm gone git me some 'o them greens right cheer..."
    And to think I was an English major in skool....

Lord help me.
    Frank in Fla.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

helotaxi
    And you're not even in the part of Florida that us natives consider the South.

stangfish
    Is he wanna them yanks? Git a rope!

Basic Member
    If the pitting becomes deep enough when fired the primer can flow into the larger pits and rupture. When this happens you will have even deeper high pressure gas cutting action and your bolt face will be finished except for low pressure cat sneeze loads.

There is a difference between etching and moon size crater pits that a primer can flow into at 52,000 cup or 55,000 psi.