Thread: SA barrel on LA Rem700

Basic Member

SA barrel on LA Rem700

I realize this is not a Savage gun, but a lot of you have Remington 700 experiences to share as well. I'm looking at installing a short action (7mm-08) barrel on a long action (.30-06) Remington 700. Same barrel contour. What will I need to do in terms of the magazine well to accommodate the shorter cartridge, assuming this is do-able otherwise? I realize removing a 700 barrel makes removing a Savage barrel look like a picnic.
    Thanks,
    Hoot
    In [b]Theory[/b], there is no difference between theory and practice. In [b]Practice[/b], there is.

Basic Member

Re: SA barrel on LA Rem700

Hoot

Talk to Jim at Northland Shooters 763-682-4296. He will be getting in some aftermarket Remington barrels that you can "headspace" just like a Savage barrel by using a locknut. Once you get your factory barrel off it should very easy "just like a Savage".

22 Mag
    Happiness is not having everything you want, but wanting everything you have.

Basic Member

Thanks for responding. I was concerned that I had committed some faux pas asking about Remington rigs on the Savage forums.

Unfortunately, what I was most interested in learning was whether the mag well would present the short action cartridge to the bolt in a way that it could pick it up since the action is designed for longer cartridges. I wasn't too worried that the barrel would not headspace since by virtue of the threads, it can be set closer or further from the closed bolt face.

Yes, I have read about the barrels with the longer threaded shank to allow a nut, much like Savage uses, but I already have a Remington 7mm-08 conventional barrel in my sights for the project. Faced with paying to have the threaded area lengthened to accommodate a nut, the two of which comes at a price no doubt approaching what I am paying for the conventional barrel, I have resigned myself to going the conventional Remington way of installing it to keep costs reasonable.

The .30-06 Remington 700 is sitting in my safe, with little to no chance of getting used as I already have a .30-06 rifle I like. It was willed to me by a dearly departed friend, so I can not just sell it with a clear conscience to buy a 7mm-08 complete rifle.

Can anyone confirm the absolute value of cutting off the recoil lug to relieve the tension and ease removal of the existing barrel? I'm not adverse to sacrificing a recoil lug to reduce the stresses on the action and generally the overall difficulty that removing a factory Remington barrel incurs if it really is an effective shortcut. I just don't like to unnecessarily ruin a part, only to discover doing so provided no benefit.

Thanks to anyone wishing to share their experiences along this line of thought.

Hoot
    In [b]Theory[/b], there is no difference between theory and practice. In [b]Practice[/b], there is.

okie2

I did the same thing to a 30-06 remongton changed to 243 the barrel swap is all you have to do it worked fine

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by okie2
    I did the same thing to a 30-06 remongton changed to 243 the barrel swap is all you have to do it worked fine
    Thanks Okie. Did you cut off the recoil lug before removing the .30-06 barrel or is that entirely not necesary?
    Hoot