Thread: Savage Predator barrel contour

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Savage Predator barrel contour

I have a Model 10 Predator (mossy oak brush) that I'm thinking about re-barreling. Can anyone out there tell me specifically what the contour is? I'm wanting to order a new barrel w/o having to modify the stock and at the same time not have big gaps between the stock and barrel.

I know it's about .745" at the muzzle

Thanks!
    Last edited by trappst; 12-14-2012 at 04:39 PM.

sorry, edited my original post after measuring the muzzle of my rifle

It's also slightly heavier than a Shilen #4 contour....it measures .700" at 22"
    Last edited by trappst; 12-14-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Basic Member
    If you are looking to match it with a numbered contour from most barrel makers, there is none that will match it. If you plan on ordering one from a custom barrel maker, just tell them exactly what you want. Most numbered barrel contours from Shilen, Douglas or Krieger are made for shouldered barrels and usually have a 1.200" or 1.250" breech diameter. I realize most folks are impatient and don't want to wait for months for a barrel, and usually find a blank from a broker much quicker, but it just means more cost to get it turned to the right size.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Thanks sharpshooter......I'm not worried about waiting. I was just curious if it was the same as one of the other Savage contours, just shorter. Something like the Savage Heavy Sporter? Shilen lists it at .685" at the muzzle for a 26" barrel. I just wonder what the diameter of that barrel is at 22". I don't have my heavy sporter barrel anymore or I'd just measure it! :)

As far as telling a custom maker exactly what I want.....Would the predator barrel be considered a straight taper?

jasonR
    Trappst -
    I have a Shilen made S#4 barrel (heavy sporter) to 24". At 24" it has diameter of 0.7". Two inches from the muzzle the diameter is 0.73". I hope this is the info. you were looking for.

jasonR,

Thanks for the info! My Shilen #4 contour was made by McGowen so that may explain the slight difference in our measurements.

I think Fred is over-complicating this. I have a Mcowen Savage Magnum contour. It is straight taper and close enough to the Predator contour I'll bet. Ask Jim Briggs also, but I'll bet the Criterion Light Varmint and maybe Shilen Heavy sporter (?) Savage barrels are close also.
    The one who dies with the most toys still dies--except in Christ.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trappst View Post
    I have a Model 10 Predator (mossy oak brush) that I'm thinking about re-barreling. Can anyone out there tell me specifically what the contour is? I'm wanting to order a new barrel w/o having to modify the stock and at the same time not have big gaps between the stock and barrel.

I know it's about .745" at the muzzle

Thanks!
    A Criterion barrel in light varmint contour is a solution.

Sorry, but CBI isn't an option due to their not offering what I'm looking for...a 1:9 twist 17 Remington