Thread: Synthetic Savage Stock Bedding?

kdvarmint

Synthetic Savage Stock Bedding?

I have a Varmint Model 12FVSS in 308. I want to put the oringinal synthetic stock back on it so I can shoot it in the factory class match at a peticular range. Rules say the action may be bedded. My gunsmith likes to use Devcon for beddeing. Is it unreasonable to just fill the extra openings in this stock (not the whole way out the forearm) around the action? I guess the question is, what works best with a cheap stock? And remember, the purpose of this gun is original factory. I have to use this stock. Thanks!

stangfish
    Is your gun an accutrigger?

KD you really don't have to use that stock,just have to use a factory stock and IMO the factory laminates will do you much better,especailly if you bed it.
    Factory stocks are availiable at Numrichs. Just make sure of your screw spacing. The last time I was on their site they had some VLP stocks and those are model 12's and would suite your needs.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1365510.htm

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1161320.htm http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1161310.htm
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1161340.htm

Here are a few examples, notice they are all less than half of what Savage would charge.
    If screw spacing is different, with a little effort it can be fixed.
    Last edited by rjtfroggy; 11-24-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

kdvarmint
    stangfish,
    Yes, Accutrigger.

rjtfroggy,
    Rules state "Original Factory Stock". I know some ranges allow factory production stocks, but not this one. I won with a Bell & Carlson stock at the range I currently shoot, and some don't like it. The gun shot pretty good before I put that stock on it and I believe I can keep everyone happy by kicking there butts with the original stock also. I aim to please.

KD, I know what you are saying about "Original" but if you read the discription of those stocks you will see they are "Original Factory ". Numrich buys the over stock to sell, if you search you will find each one of those listed in the parts list for the model they come from.
    I also shoot some factory class that state the same rules but I don't like the syn. stocks so I changed to laminates (tiger shark) and because they are from savage they are considered "original" and all is good.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

kdvarmint
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    KD, I know what you are saying about "Original" but if you read the discription of those stocks you will see they are "Original Factory ". Numrich buys the over stock to sell, if you search you will find each one of those listed in the parts list for the model they come from.
    I also shoot some factory class that state the same rules but I don't like the syn. stocks so I changed to laminates (tiger shark) and because they are from savage they are considered "original" and all is good.
    Got it.

Basic Member
    I dont think there are any laminate accustock stocks.. but I've wrong at least as often as I am right.

kdvarmint
    Still would like to see an answer to the original question, but few probably mess with these stocks........understandable.

Elkbane
    KD,
    I have reworked one of these stocks in a way that provides sufficient accuracy. The solution is not obvious - most folks try to stiffen the fore-end by epoxying in steel rods to stiffen it. In my experience, unless you are getting contact between the barrel and fore-end, you are attacking the WRONG problem by doing that (although it may help if you shoot off bipods). The main problem with the stock design is that it "flexes" or "hinges" at the front action screw and transmits that flex through the action area. I stiffened the area between the action screw holes by cutting 2 pieces of 1/8 x 5/8 aluminum bar stock (ace hardware) to fit tight along the sides if the magazine well and epoxied them in place. You may have to deremel out a little flashing to get them to fit flush to the sides, but there was plenty of room left for the magazine box to fit with the bar stock on place. After doing that, I bedded the stock full length from lug to rear bolt hole (sides included). The resulting action area does not flex and any flex is from the front action bolt hol foreward. You can address that as well, but the rifle may shoot OK without it.

Elkbane

kdvarmint
    Now that's the kind of advise I expect from this site. Thanks Elkbane, I will discuss this with my gunsmith.

Bigfoot
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvarmint View Post
    Now that's the kind of advise I expect from this site. Thanks Elkbane, I will discuss this with my gunsmith.
    + 1

americanstrat98
    +1 to elk bane, the guy hit it right on the head. There you go, and Devcon F(aluminum compound) and Devcon in the black can is great stuff. Something some folk may not know is that you can actually salts blue devcon if its of the steel kind. I use devcon as well. I've filled pitted 22barrels and duracoated them after BBlasting them, bedded Stocks, and my most favorite use is bedding scopes with devcon.

It might sound a little wierd, but i always, always bed stainless scope bases, and solder chromoly bases to chromoly actions. just a little comfort measure.

Have fun with your build KD and go shoot !

americanstrat98
    Quote Originally Posted by scythefwd View Post
    I dont think there are any laminate accustock stocks.. but I've wrong at least as often as I am right.
    for just about every savage model/ there shall be laminates!! Even the old F class is a gray laminate.
    Last edited by americanstrat98; 12-01-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: put up the wrong pic

kdvarmint
    The rules I must live by. I would be in the Factory Varmint. www.southforkrifleclub.com/groundhog.html Click on 2012 classes and rules.
    Last edited by kdvarmint; 12-15-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Savage110C
    That answers your question.

kdvarmint
    It was never "the" question.