Thread: LOP of Savage11 FCNS

Basic Member

LOP of Savage11 FCNS

What is the LOP on the 11FCNS? Does this include the recoil pad? If not what is the lop with the pad included in the measurement? Is it possible to shorten the stock on this rifle? I won't be doing the work myself. savage doesn't seem to list this info on their website.

dnsmith
    The accustock models have a 14" LOP, and a lot of that is the PAD recoil pad. It's just an injection molded polymer stock, I don't think a gunsmith would have any problems shortening it. I'd like to find a 1/2" thinner recoil pad to drop in, but they do not seem to exist.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by dnsmith View Post
    The accustock models have a 14" LOP, and a lot of that is the PAD recoil pad. It's just an injection molded polymer stock, I don't think a gunsmith would have any problems shortening it. I'd like to find a 1/2" thinner recoil pad to drop in, but they do not seem to exist.
    Do you have the tools to grind-to fit? (Patience, belt sander, Recoil pad jig-optional) If so, lots of options out there. Or you could cut the stock 1/2" shorter and refit the present recoil pad. If not, check with your local smith...it might not be TOO expensive.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info. I started searching "Youth"sized stocks in Savage and other manufacturers. Most of them drop down to 12.5". I called Savage today and they confirmed that the LOP on the Model 11 FCNS is 13.5" including the recoil pad. Looking at the .260 and I'm thinking the grind to fit route may be the route to follow, as the recoil is not a major issue.

dnsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Schekrn View Post
    they confirmed that the LOP on the Model 11 FCNS is 13.5" including the recoil pad
    well now I've gotta go measure mine again cause I could have sworn it was 14". I have been wrong before (on EXCEEDINGLY RARE OCCASIONS [grin]).

Thomae, I don't have any of those tools (although I like to pretend that I have the patience). I also don't have a good local smith at the moment ... moved within the past year and haven't found anything yet. I do know that when I have my hunting clothes on, my accustock savages are too long on me by a little bit. The "PAD" does a decent job reducing recoil, but it's a little too floppy for me. I've definitely got no need for one on the .250 sav, and it's questionable on the .308.

thomae
    Where are you? Might be a forum member close by that can help you.
    If not, do you have a woodworking friend who has a benchtop belt sander?
    I have the jig. If you wish to borrow it, you may, for the price of the postage.
    If you read the directions on the jig very carefully, and go slowly, you can do a good looking job with it.
    I have done two grind to fit recoil pads so far and one of them turned out nice, the other one turned out very nice.

Roger SS
    Just picked up my first ever Savage. Model 11 FCNS .308 Perfect fit for me. Savage #2 and 3 coming next week.

dnsmith
    I got my rifles out and measured last night. I am showing 14" on the tape from the tip of the accublade all the way back to the end of the recoil pad (with the gun cocked). Distance from the trigger itself to the back of the recoil pad is about 13 3/4". So there is about a quarter inch of takeup in the accutrigger. The PAD is curved, at its thickest (top of the pad) it is 1" thick, at the bottomed-out point of the curve it is .8".

All in all, I think it's honest to say the LOP is about 13 3/4"

dnsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Where are you? Might be a forum member close by that can help you.
    Southeast MS, Thomae. I appreciate the jig offer, I just don't have the time or the energy at the moment to work on it myself.