Thread: Sons small buck with savage

acemisser

Sons small buck with savage

Buck my son got with his stevens 200 in 223 cal I told him to try for the big one but he didn't...

Re: Sons small buck with savage

Looks big enough to me!

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

I think he is pulling our leg. That is a mighty fine buck in my book.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

BRIAN G
    Great buck! I am currently deerless this season, but some cool wether is finally reaching us here in the deep south, so I'm hoping to turn that around real soon. Can I ask about the load / bullet? I was considering building a .223 hunting rig for my daughter, but i am worried that it's on the light side.

Re: Sons small buck with savage

Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    I think he is pulling our leg. That is a mighty fine buck in my book.
    Oh. I've been on Archerytalk too long. I think a lot of those guys consider anything under 150 too small.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by BRIAN G View Post
    Great buck! I am currently deerless this season, but some cool wether is finally reaching us here in the deep south, so I'm hoping to turn that around real soon. Can I ask about the load / bullet? I was considering building a .223 hunting rig for my daughter, but i am worried that it's on the light side.
    I am not sure of what he used..I think it was one of Barnes bullets and varget powder..He use's varget almost all the time....And there are alot bigger bucks in the woods of N.E PA......this was taken in East Smithfield...He said he couldn't get the other one in sight good enough for a decent shot placement...

Great looking BUCK nice RACK, wish i was out hunting BUT no more hunting for me as problems with back have stoped me

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by Balljoint View Post
    Great looking BUCK nice RACK, wish i was out hunting BUT no more hunting for me as problems with back have stoped me
    Sorry to hear that..I hunt from my truck---Heart not up to par--since heart attack in 2005.....Not vehicle permit,I just do it....LOL

After walking a couple hundred yards,I am beat...Sure wish I was younger still....

Balljoint I FEEL your pain. After 7 lumbar surgeries and now carrying 6 screws and 3 bars all titainium my back and legs tell me NO MAS but after missing 4 seasons I said to hell with this I'm hunting. I go out every third day or so and just use the inbetween days to recover. With the nerve damage the walking 1.5 miles into the area is bad on the legs but the cold mornings lately are getting to me, but the worse part is not seeing anything while out there, then driving home seeing 3-4 in a small feild that is maybe 1/4 mile from home at 11:00 am. Go figure. If you can do what I did just do it.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    Sorry to hear that..I hunt from my truck---Heart not up to par--since heart attack in 2005.....Not vehicle permit,I just do it....LOL

After walking a couple hundred yards,I am beat...Sure wish I was younger still....
    Congrats to your son and his nice buck. Also sorry to hear about the ticker.
    Have you applied for the disabled license or too proud? I know my dad at age 73 is too proud, but I keep trying to get him to apply. He still gets out and walks, but we talk very frequent breaks for him to get his legs back under him (Stomach aorta replaced and a stint in each leg).

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by JackinSD View Post
    Congrats to your son and his nice buck. Also sorry to hear about the ticker.
    Have you applied for the disabled license or too proud? I know my dad at age 73 is too proud, but I keep trying to get him to apply. He still gets out and walks, but we talk very frequent breaks for him to get his legs back under him (Stomach aorta replaced and a stint in each leg).
    Sucks getting old...But I still do a lot of target shooting at the local range and do walk out to the 250 target and back while there...
    Maybe am too proud to apply for the permit...I ask the doc at the VA Clinic and he said I couold probably get one..BUT there are certain rules you have to abide by..I think when you hunt,you have to have someone with you and if your caught so far from the truck you can loose the permit, etc etc...

Hey John, I'm glad your son got a nice buck, it looks huge 8 maybe 10 point? 200+ pounder? Need more details.

I shot a doe on the first morning of shot gun season here in N.Y. I stalked it for about 50 minutes after first light and it was down in the woods about 100 yards away and I was up on a ledge 60 feet higher so it was nearly a 45 degree angle shot down hill. I was using my 16 gauge Ithica deerslayer feather light with open sights and I missed the first shot and the deer froze and I shot another and it went right down. I nearly had a heart attack trying to get that deer up out of the raveen, I have had unexplained heart papitations for about 2 years now but they have been settling down quite a bit.
    Hope to see you in the Spring and meet your son for some good old shootin at Odessa. Oh I saw a p.m. I missed about Spring Water shoot. Google (Springwater Rod and Gun) and you can check out there schedule, however the 2013 schedule won't be posted for a while after the new year. There match's are the same rules as Odessa exept it's a 185 yard shoot. They also have .22 rimfire shoots at 100 yards once a month also.

Regards,
    Dan

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    Sucks getting old...But I still do a lot of target shooting at the local range and do walk out to the 250 target and back while there...
    Maybe am too proud to apply for the permit...I ask the doc at the VA Clinic and he said I couold probably get one..BUT there are certain rules you have to abide by..I think when you hunt,you have to have someone with you and if your caught so far from the truck you can loose the permit, etc etc...
    Yeah, we have a few rules that go with the disabled permit here. But, not near as restrictive as the ones you mentioned. Here, if you could walk 250 yards to a target and back you wouldn't be able to receive one. 300 yards is the total limit. Good luck and keep knocking them down.

acemisser
    This is another PA buck taken only a few miles from my sons deer...Thats why I said his was a small one..lol

Basic Member
    Nice, tall and wide. Great job!

I have shot at spingwater too. We should meet up some time.I live in macedon ny and that last deer is a monster,congrats as I have never got anything bigger than an eight point,all with recurve's.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    I have shot at spingwater too. We should meet up some time.I live in macedon ny and that last deer is a monster,congrats as I have never got anything bigger than an eight point,all with recurve's.

Definitely have to meet up jonbearman, there's a few guys that usually come down to the Springwater and Odessa shoots that live in Rochester. Getting down to Odessa is quite a hike for them though but at least one guy Kevin makes it pretty regularly. Kevin shoots prone and is an absolute robot behind the trigger, one amazing shooter.

I'll be attending the first Springwater shoot in April, hope you can make it. Now I'm just having a hard time deciding what bullets I should order for my .308's 168 A max, 168 Match king, or 175 Match king. I have had good results with all of those and I think I'm leaning toward the A max because they are cheaper and they work good for hunting too.

I'd like to meet up with Thorbird too this coming year, were getting quite a few Savage shooter's in n.y.

Regards,
    Dan
    Last edited by DanSavage; 12-15-2012 at 11:52 PM.