Thread: Split scope rings

Mrcalamiteh

Split scope rings

Are Leupold split rings any good? or am I better off getting different rings for my rifle than split rings?

Basic Member
    If scope rings were not split, how would you install them?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

helotaxi
    I think that he's talking about vertically split rings.

Mrcalamiteh
    Yeah. sorry for not elaborating. the vertical split rings vs the horizontal rings I guess. I'm pretty new to rifles so sorry about my failed terminology.

Basic Member
    Vertically split rings are a PITA and I've seen at least 2 pinched scopes (well... 1 pinched and 1 bent) from using them. The best rings I've used are Burris Signature Series. They make them for weaver and redfield type mounts.

helotaxi
    While I love the Burris Sig rings and am using several sets of them, for use on an elevated scope rail like an EGW I love vertically split rings. They're slightly more complicated to install, but you only have to do it once. Doing so without damaging the scope is a simple matter as well unless the rings are junk or you're trying to use them with a windage adjustable base. If the latter, don't use anything but the Signature rings.

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by r3dn3ck View Post
    Vertically split rings are a PITA and I've seen at least 2 pinched scopes (well... 1 pinched and 1 bent) from using them. The best rings I've used are Burris Signature Series. They make them for weaver and redfield type mounts.
    I like the burris as well. I have never seen a damaged tube from using a warne vertical split ring..ever. All the damaged scopes I have seen were cheap horizontal split rings with ignorant beginners tightening the crap out of them because they thought the scope was moving.