Thread: Savage 99?

joshsnyder33

Savage 99?

Recently purchased a model 99 from a guy on a great buy. I was intending to use as a brush gun but wanted to do some further research as i've been told its an older gun. Serial number is 363***. Any info and a general idea of value on this gun would be greatly appreciated.

thomae
    Welcome to the forum. I don't know anything about Savage 99's but this might help:
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...r-Savage-Rifle
    Others on the forum may be able to help you with value, etc...but photos would be an asset.

Basic Member
    For Savage model '99s, the best place to find your date of manufacture, is here:

http://www.savage99.com/savage99_dates.htm

According to your info above, the site says it was made in 1937 or 1938.

Value is dependent on a lot of things. Not the least of which is condition, and originality. Has someone drilled and tapped the receiver to accept scope mounts? Has it been cared for properly - no rust, clean bore, wood undamaged? Has it been refinished or had the wood replaced?
    Chambering has an influence on value too. Some chamberings were very rare and desirable.

I had one that had a LOT of things wrong with it. Oh, it functioned fine, and was a good shooter, but nothing was unspoiled otherwise. The worst of it was the lever being bent from a straight wrist stock to a pistol grip stock, and the left side of the receiver had 5 holes in it where "Bubba" had tried to drill and tap it for a sidemount scope.
    It still brought $350, and the buyer was aware of every issue.
    The value of a used item is whatever is agreed on between the seller and buyer!

Hope this helps!

Don

Basic Member
    Depends on your surrounding market. My market area is generally on the high side with nice vintage 99's going for $600 average. And I have watched some markets where $300 is average. If you are happy with it, like I am with mine, it doesn't matter !

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.