Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Savage 110xp or 10xp for 6.5 creedmoor build

helotaxi

Quote Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
    My "perceived problem" comes from the fact that several people use the .260 successfully with long bullets from a SA magazine everyday
    In short actions other than the Savage, though, they give up powder capacity and velocity and thus some of the long range advantage of the cartridge by doing so. The Creedmoor gives up nothing when constrained to 2.825" max OAL. If the Creedmoor offered nothing, it would not have caught on as well as it has. For the guys genuinely limited on magazine length, the Creedmoor can give them a touch more velocity with the longer bullets.

+1^^ AR10 shooters have less magazine length than Savages so it does come into play. Dennis Demille of Creedmoor Shooting Sports ASKED Hornady to create this. No bandwagoning.
    More shooting, less typing.

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi View Post
    In short actions other than the Savage, though, they give up powder capacity and velocity and thus some of the long range advantage of the cartridge by doing so. The Creedmoor gives up nothing when constrained to 2.825" max OAL. If the Creedmoor offered nothing, it would not have caught on as well as it has. For the guys genuinely limited on magazine length, the Creedmoor can give them a touch more velocity with the longer bullets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    +1^^ AR10 shooters have less magazine length than Savages so it does come into play. Dennis Demille of Creedmoor Shooting Sports ASKED Hornady to create this. No bandwagoning.
    Look guys the 6.5 CM is just a different way to slice the same loaf of bread. DeMille just wanted his own HP cartridge to pimp just like Tubb's does with the XC for High Power, and Hornady wanted a mid length 6.5 cartridge to go with their Grendel. So they necked up and blew out the .250 Savage or necked down the .30 TC however you want to look at it. Gave it a SAAMI spec of 2.820" COAL which is actually .020" longer than the .260 Rem. So either way you look at it both work very well in a AR-10 length magazine, and the 6.5 CM is a little more efficient about it. With the heavies they are less than 100 fps apart, big deal.

A lot of guys use either cartridge to compete as well as a plethora of others mixed in. In matches where they measure groups to the .00000001" then the Creedmoore might have a slight advantage if it is able to handle higher BC bullets slightly better. In tactical steel matches where a hit is a point and you move on to the next target, well the difference between a .585 BC bullet and a .618 bullet and less than 100 fps isn't going to matter so much.

My point was and still is use a bigger cartridge on a LA platform. Why invest in differenten't bolt baffles, putting .308 length magazines in a long action mag wells, or any other tweaks recommended or mentioned above? When the simplest answer is get a cartridge that fits the length of the magazine. My vote is still the 6.5-284 and if you want cheaper brass go with the 6.5-06.
    Last edited by taylorce1; 12-18-2012 at 05:51 PM.

johnny-bravo
    Now my next decision will be the barrel~
    Krieger
    Pacnor
    Shilen
    McGowin
    Last edited by johnny-bravo; 12-18-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny-bravo View Post
    Now my next decision will be the barrel~
    Krieger
    Pacnor
    Shilen
    McGowin
    Honestly I'd conatact Jim at Northland and see if he has a pre-fit barrel that will fit your needs, chambered for what you want. It sure beats the wait time on a prefit if you order direct from the manufacturer. If you want a top of the line cut-rifled barrel check out Bughloles.com, you'll have to find someone to chamber, thread, and crown it for you though. They usually have a few barrel blanks in 6.5 in stock in the popular LR barrel twist and contours.

I've used Shilen and McGowan on other builds, still waiting on my first Pac-Nor to ship for my .338-06 build. I haven't heard a terrible thing about any of them, and the barrels I have shoot great. I can tell you if you place an order at Pac-Nor, Penny who will take it is a pleasure to work with.

johnny-bravo
    It took me some time but i finally got the barrel nut broke free today, wow, what a pita.... I had it soaking in Kroil for a week thinking that would help. I had read that heating it helped but didnt wanna catch it on fire with all the Kroil. Large adjustable wrench on recoil lug, breaker bar in barrel nut wrench for stabuilaty and a WACK with a 5# mallet.... Yup, she came free.... no vise with wooden blocks

airdale
    Johnny-bravo,

I just went through the same decision process regarding caliber. I was looking for donor rifles and decided if I got a long action I was going to go with 6.5x55 Swede (been around a long while, popular and easily found). If I found a short action the round would be a 6.5 Creedmoor just to keep things simple. What I ended up doing was ordering a stainless varmint action from Jim at NSS the action is the same as a model 12 (S/A) so I'll be building a CM. No use reinventing the Wheel, keep it simple and enjoy your build.

Oh, BTW Merry Christmas
    Last edited by airdale; 12-25-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Basic Member
    Jesus what's with all these walmart's with savages.

Every Walmart in my county do not sell firearms..

Ask, they can order them.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger View Post
    Ask, they can order them.
    they actually have the catalog online and it has barcodes that you can have them scan at register and give you price or give sku over phone and they will give you the price.
    newbie from gr, mi.

johnny-bravo
    HA HA, thought I would dig this thread up, I put my 6.5 build on hold while $hit was hitting the fan. Built a AR-15 while parts were still available to us citizens of the great USA......
    I have since consulted with my local rifle smith and have had a 6.5 SS barrel on order from Lilja, my smith is also a BR shooter and only deals with Lilja for himself, will order whatever I want but he has used Dan's barrels for many years so I went with Lilja. I ordered in January and i believe it takes 4 months so hopefully soon.

brasse
    Thats why I went with the 6.5 Creedmoor and Jim at Northland. Ordered the Shilen Select Match last week, scheduled for delivery this Tuesday.

johnny-bravo
    Yeah, the 4 months of winter i have waited I really dont care about. I have had time to add more funds for this build since I blew $1500 on a AAC 300blk AR-15 build...... one can get carried away when another ~man~ threatens to take away his toys. I have also started reloading, been all 300blk so far but its reloading. I started this thread with the Creedm00r in mind but like usual changed my mind. I will be pushing out those pills with high pressure via the 47 Lapua. HA HA HA HA, yes the 6.5x47 Lapua, read allot on all calibers and was thinking about the 260 with the lapua 243 cases, then thought well maybe a 260AI with the 243 Lapua (fire formed) cases....... then kicked around the 6.5 swede...... all of the are the best and all are the worst. Now with that said ill probably change my mind again but I have 5,000 small rifle primers begging to go into the Lapua cases...lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12