Thread: 110BA ~ ~ ~ First impressisions - Range Report ~ ~ ~ ~ !!!

Glennster

110BA ~ ~ ~ First impressisions - Range Report ~ ~ ~ ~ !!!

I've been wanting a 300 Win Mag for 1,000 yard shooting, as much as I love my custom built 6.5/284 (Barnard action- Krieger Barrel), I liked the idea of a heavier bullet for long range shooting. I saw an ad for a Savage 110BA in 300, they guy ended up selling it pretty darn cheap, so I figured I was in..... If I didn't like it or if it wasn't accurate, I could easily get my money back.
    I've been to the range twice testing loads at 150 yards, then yesterday I went out for the third time. I went to our 1,000 yard range (Young's Long Shot - Indiana) to try a few more loads and I wanted to try this thing at 1,000. Enough BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.....
    I'm VERY pleased with the rifle, the trigger is light and crisp, it's not a 6 oz. bench rifle trigger, but it's SWEET!
    It appears to be plenty accurate right out of the box, the group pictured shows two things (I think). It shows that I need to work on my shooting skills and that this thing is VERY accurate!!!
    Recoil is amazingly low, almost no muzzle jump and very little rear motion.
    The only downside is the noise and the muzzle blast. The poor guys that are next to you and the range will not enjoy that at all. I would warn the guy next to me when I was ready to fire, that was much appreciated!
    I did get out to 1,000 with what was left (3 rounds) of the Hornady 180 grain factory ammo. It was real windy and I still manages 3 shots on the steel plate that were 8'' apart. I know it can do better.
    Bottom line, Buy one, you'll like it!!!

bgc

Re: 110BA ~ ~ ~ First impressisions - Range Report ~ ~ ~ ~ !!!

When I bought mine the salesman stated "The muzzle blast on this rifle is significant". Significant my @$$, its extreme, almost that of a fieldpiece.
    I tried the Hornady 150 grain SST and had keyholes out to 250 yards. Looks like the 208 stabilized well and quickly.

Glennster

Never tried 150's
    168 Berger VLD's and 175 SMK's looked like they might work with more time......
    I'm going about 2800 FPS with the 208's, that should be SWEET out to 1,000 yards. I just got the break off tonight, I'm curious how hard this will kick w/o the break. It sure is easy to shoot with the break on.

bgc

I have run some 168 AMax Hornaday Factory loads that worked well.
    I have not tried to remove the brake, keep us posted on what its like.

Varget 7-08

What do you think of the bolt handle?

Glennster

I like the big bulky look of the bolt handle, it's a nice feel too. You have something very substantial to hold.
    Getting the break off is easy with the right tools. A buddy of mine has a bolt wrench for a Savage action. He stuck that sucker in the action, held it with a 3/4'' box end wrench, then we put some tape on the break to protect it. It was pretty tight, but not bad. We used two guys, one on the bolt/action and one on the break.
    I think you could use the guns bolt to hold the action and have another guy twisting the break. I wish I'd thought of that before I bothered my buddy......

bgc

I am impartial to the handle. I like to smooth handles on my other Savages but this one comes in handy when I cant find my hammer.......

glenn T
    Tried mine yesterday Very accurate easily bust clay targets at 300 yds. nice
    Negatives.
    Will not eject empty brass.
    Factory Winchester 150 ammo blew four primers.
    some case stuck.
    Magazine wants to load two ay a time. Rim on belted 300 mag pulls next round along and jams action.
    Magazine fits sloppy. Can not believe that they want over 100 dollars for a magazine. $ 20.00 would be plenty.
    Went to my own load. Sierra 165grn hpbt with 60grn of H4895. No more stuck cases no more blown primers.
    Trying to find way to tighten magazine.
    Need to solve extraction issues.
    After bug are taken out should be a real shooter.
    But for $2000.00 bucks i expected it to be bug free.
    110ba 300 win Mag Night force 8-32x56 NXS NP-R1 scope.