Thread: Scope and Accessory Questions and Recommendations

deanopt

Scope and Accessory Questions and Recommendations

I have a Savage Model 112, 26" stainless barrel chambered in 300 Win Mag. I recently purchased a Weaver T36 and am kind of second guessing myself as I'd like the rifle to have some versatility but really want it for those long shots. Can anyone first evaluate the scope I already purchased, haven't used it so it can be returned, or give me some recommendations on what might be a better choice for a quasi sniper type setup. Maybe some recommendations for a replacement trigger and a bipod as well would be helpful. Thanks all!

thomae
    What do you mean by "long shot?" Any specific distances? What will you be doing at those distances? Shooting animals for food? Paper targets for score?

You mention "quasi sniper type setup." I presume you are not going to be using this rifle for true military sniper work. True snipers usually use different equipment than long distance competition shooters or long distance hunters. Similar, but different.

The more information you can share on your real intended purpose, the better the members can really help you.

deanopt
    Not true military sniper work...no. I would like to be able to shoot out to 1000 yards target and any distance in between for game. I cannot afford to spend $10,000 on a true sniper rifle or a high end target rifle so I am trying to make the best of what I have and get the most versatility. Thanks by the way for your probing questions and for any assistance you can give me.

the t36 is a great scope but overkill for closer ranges. for a man size target a 10x is about minimal for a 1k yard shot. i would prefer to have a variable myself, with an upper mag of 20 or less. field of view may be an issue with the t36 at hunting ranges.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

hammie
    I agree with the others here and particularly "richhelton". A variable scope with an upper range of 16 or 20 should be more than enough. I have a burris 3 x 12 on a remington 700, .308 tactical, and I've never felt under-glassed. I do have a 6 x 20 on my .220 swift, but varmints can be pretty small targets.

As a practical matter I rarely go above 12 power. Things get too jumpy for me. Even from a bench, at 15 or 16 power, the cross hairs move all over the target, just from my heart beat. Although, I am sure many others here are better skilled than I am.

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by hammie View Post
    As a practical matter I rarely go above 12 power. Things get too jumpy for me. Even from a bench, at 15 or 16 power, the cross hairs move all over the target, just from my heart beat.
    If you are using lower power does that mean your crosshairs are not moving as much?

hammie
    @Mr. Stangfish: It must work that way! LOL. I can hold my breath, but I haven't quite figured out how to stop my heart and then re-start it.

Basic Member
    I have a T36 for bench shooting; works great for that application using a rest such that the target is easy to pick up after a shot and the fixed power and good glass make it a very good value. Tried using it on a tactical shoot once and too much power with limited field of view for any rapid acquisition situation. For more general use a variable is better; I have Nikon and Bushnell variables that I think are also good values, esp the factory refurbished ones from Natchez that are essentially new but over 30% discount vs new.

Basic Member
    If your wanting to shoot longer range,look at the Sightron SIII scopes. They will do everything you want,at half the price of a Nightforce.
    I have 5 Sightron's,and love everyone of them.

I have a 36x Weaver and it is a very good scope. But, for hunting it would be difficult to locate game say 200 yards or less. Or, just take 2 guns if you are stand hunting. I do it on a smaller scale in Illinois. Have a 44 mag 4" Smith for 30 yards or less and my Striker is everything over that out to about 250 where I am comfortable with the Striker.

deanopt
    Ok so I am looking at the Sightron 6-24s or 8-32s but there are so many options available and truthfully the sightron sight isn't very helpful. Can anyone give me insight into what options are best for overall long shots both hunting and target. You know the reticles...mil-dot, modified mil-dot, fine crosshair crosshair...so many!

tyler.woodard04
    Target scopes are very sensitive to eye placement. Not very good for most field work. Those 8-32 sightrons are great ive looked through a few and guys really like then

deanopt
    I'm curious why eye placement would be different for target than for field work? Seems the distance should be the same for both. Also...what about reticles? Thanks all for any input big or small!

I love Nikon BDC reticles. The website ap is right on for plugging in velocity to ensure accurate sight picture. Print the sight picture out, tape it to your gun, and you have instant long range sighting. I have prostaff, buckmasters, and monarch scopes and the Buckmaster sidefocus seems to be the best.

Banned
    i use a t36 for strictly 1k shooting.i also have a fixed sightron that does great. some applications need a variable powered scope though.the weaver super slam is a very good scope,and the weaver tactical. glass is as good as scopes costing twice the money.