Thread: My new old school .22

My new old school .22

I bought this 120A Springfield Savage single shot .22 from a friend, i'ts in fair condition and the bore is in good shape as well as the crown. It has an old Weaver B4 scope made in Texas. There's not much info on this model anywhere as well as the scope. I'm guessing the gun and scope are from the 60"s being that the gun does have a serial number but I've read they were made in the 30's to 70's. There is no receiver, just all barrel with machining to accept the bolt. I found info how to take the bolt apart and I got her all cleaned up. I know it's just a "barn gun" but when I shot it today it is darn accurate. The bore is real smooth compared to today's savages.

Eventually I want to do a full restoration, it has some light rust on it and a few scratches on the stock. I've read the gun has only 20 some parts and I've never seen something so simple in design. My 760 pump master bb gun is WAY more complicated than this simple piece of iron.

The trigger pull is very easy, but there is a lot of creep but that is the way it is designed. I will not modify anything that is mechanical on this gun it is great just the way it is. Someone put some felt paper under barrel toward middle of stock to free float most of the barrel.

I didn't get to shoot it much today because it was raining and I was shooting out of an old out house to keep her dry, but I did get a few shots touching at 50 yards with the crappy T22 Winchesters, well they don't shoot good at all out of my Marlin. I can't wait to try some ultra match or 711 in it.

Basic Member
    Looks like a nice gun, even for a "project" gun. I picked up an old J C Higgins a while back. Did the same thing and I really like that rifle. Interesting receiver-less design.