Thread: Loaddata.com worth it?

Loaddata.com worth it?

OK--I've looked at this site and am wondering if it's a worthwhile resource for load info above and beyond all the manuals I already have from the major bullet and powder manufacturers? I'm particularly interested if they keep on top of the new additions the majors do since I can't bring myself to pay for books with just a few new additions.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

I have a subscription and love it. I have printed out so much data that I now have a large 3 ring binder full. The site not only has all the major manufacturers data but it also has data that the writers of hand loading and rifle magazines come up with in their testing. The really nice thing about it is that it has lots of wildcat info and you can search for loads that are not only caliber specific but bullet and powder specific as well.

If your really worried about price pay for one years subscription and buy an ink cartridge for your printer and just look up and print out every load you can think of for the year. A subscription also gains you access to some very informative articles.

Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    I have a subscription and love it. I have printed out so much data that I now have a large 3 ring binder full. The site not only has all the major manufacturers data but it also has data that the writers of hand loading and rifle magazines come up with in their testing. The really nice thing about it is that it has lots of wildcat info and you can search for loads that are not only caliber specific but bullet and powder specific as well.

If your really worried about price pay for one years subscription and buy an ink cartridge for your printer and just look up and print out every load you can think of for the year. A subscription also gains you access to some very informative articles.
    Looked good--I was hoping somebody like you would confirm--thanks! : )

You're welcome glad I could help.

You're welcome glad I could help.
    Just signed up!

Hmmmm...looking at their stuff for 6.5 grendel and 6.8 spc--far less than what I already have from widely available sources and appears somewhat dated.

That's to bad. Those happen to be two cartridges that I don't have and have never messed with and never needed to look up. They add loads every day though so keep checking back.

That's to bad. Those happen to be two cartridges that I don't have and have never messed with and never needed to look up. They add loads every day though so keep checking back.
    No worries--I was just hoping it was a bit more up-to-date and was hoping for some "gold nuggets." : )

Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    Hmmmm...looking at their stuff for 6.5 grendel and 6.8 spc--far less than what I already have from widely available sources and appears somewhat dated.
    Do your sources include the reloading handbooks for the 6.5 Grendel? http://shootersnotes.com/articles/6-...ding-handbook/

Quote Originally Posted by JASmith View Post
    Do your sources include the reloading handbooks for the 6.5 Grendel? http://shootersnotes.com/articles/6-...ding-handbook/
    Wasn't aware of those books--but have found reasonably good data at Alexander's website and the Grendel forum among others (I'm actually building a 264 lbc). I'm wary of "sources" that simply compile what's already out there from powder and bullet manufacturers and toss in a few homebrews and call it "complete" and charge money.

I DO like the fact this book looks like it's written from a hunter's perspective and it seems like the guy includes terminal ballistics tests. Do you have the book--and do you like it?

thanks for the reference. : )

There are three primary authors and a guest author who discusses his experiences with hunting game around the world.

The bulk of the load data in Volume 2 comes from non-commercial sources.

Yes, there are terminal ballistics tests. They are tied to bullet weight and design recommendations for various game sizes.

Best bet for getting pro- and con- comments is to go here for Volume 1 (123 replies) and here for Volume 2 (176 replies). There are other threads too and you can find them using the search tool. Volume 1 introduces the 6.5 Grendel, including discussions of variant chambers but has only commercial source data. Volume 2 was explicitly written for the hunter. Many folks have observed that the book is a worthwhile reference even if one uses only factory ammunition. I can attest that was an unintended consequence of trying to write a complete story for the handloader. The bulk of load data in Volume 2 is not found in commercial sources. The first page of the Volume 2 thread shows tables of contents for both to help folks determine whether they want one or both volumes.

Sounds like a great resource(s) for an emerging cartridge. I'm building a 264 lbc for the AR platform BTW.

You mentioned the .264 LBC twice!

Glad you like it. It also has a good reputation and uses the same cases, primers, propellants, and bullets and loads as the 6.5 Grendel.

The difference is in the throat design. The Grendel has a compound throat patterned after military rifles like the .303 British that had developed a superb reputation as accurate shooters with a variety of bullets. The .264 LBC has a more standard freebore of .264+ " with a taper to bore diameter and .295" vice a .300" neck for the Grendel.

Which is better? A lot will depend on what bullets one wants to use. Early testing of alternative designs for the Grendel included one that is effectively identical to the .264 LBC. It did very well for several bullets but some, particularly the lighter ones, did not perform to what I understand Arne Brennan and Bill Alexander felt were reasonable accuracy standards. That having been said, one won't know the difference if the goal is medium game hunting. I have yet to see a shoot-off between the two in the serious long range competition world, but am reasonable sure that even the best shooters will be hard pressed to tell the difference when optimal bullets are used for the LBC are used in both rifles.

The other difference is that Hornady elected to submit the 6.5 Grendel, with the compound throat, as a SAAMI-cartridge. The neat thing for you is that just about any ammunition that works in the standard chamber will work fine for yours too! The statement is absolutely true for current factory offerings. The coating on the often rumored steel-case ammunition may make it not suitable for the LBC. We won't know that until it comes on the market and someone tries it in their LBC.

As a handloader, you will likely optimize loads for your chamber, and there is no difference in that process -- just which bullets perform very well or better and which ones produce so-so accuracy.
    Last edited by JASmith; 04-05-2014 at 08:39 AM.

So Therm......answer your own question now that you paid to play.......
    Is loaddata.com worth it?
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    So Therm......answer your own question now that you paid to play.......
    Is loaddata.com worth it?
    Well--I can't say for sure since I haven't perused the whole site--it behaves strangely in my browser and requires frequent page refreshes in order for the search to work. My impression of the 6.5 grendel data is that it's mostly older stuff from other sources--not very much in the way of submitted home brews or updates to the major manufacturers.

Thanks for the review! I'll save my money and look elsewhere.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Speaking of paying to play, my go-to on-line load-data resource is Ammoguide.com and I get onto the site at least once a day.

I don't know which is more valuable to me, the forum, the load database, or the other features. The forum participants range from the truly novice through to some of the world's most expert handloaders. The discussions are almost entirely focused on reloading issues with the moderator keeping the politeness level where novices can ask naive questions without the risk of intimidation.

The load database has over 900 cartridges with drawings more than 850 of those are reloadable. The database has 27528 loads as of this typing. The database grows through member contributions. Loads identified as questionable may be edited or removed by the submitter or AmmoGuide staff, so surprises are rare.

There is also a tool to estimate the effect of barrel length, powder charge, and bullet weight on muzzle velocity.

Between them, the .223 and .308 Winchester have more than 2500 loads. Moving to the OP's interests, there are 110 loads for the 6.5 Grendel plus a similar number of loads for the 6.8SPC. By the way there are three flavors of this cartridge in the database.

Price of participation: It is hard to buy a box of 100 30-caliber jacked bullets for less than the first year's subscription.
    Last edited by JASmith; 04-10-2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Correct mis-statement about qualtiy control