Thread: 243 Factory Ammo in Axis

jeremyray25

243 Factory Ammo in Axis

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with .243 factory ammo out of their savage axis. I just purchased the axis and would like to find out what factory ammo shoots the best. I understand every barrel/gun is different, but was wanting to save a little money if someone could share their experience to give me a good starting point. I don't reload, so factory ammo is the only way.

So far, I have tried Remington Core Lokt 100gr and Winchester Super X 100gr, both rounds are around 1.75" at 100yds. While this is not bad, I know this can be improved.

Anyone have experience with lighter grains (80, 90, or 95) for their axis? Or have suggestion on other 100gr factory loads to try?

I would choose a factory load that uses a premium bullet like a sierra or nosler.

Cmeplay13
    I just purchased a stainless axis in 243 and it shoots federal 100 grain great(1/2" 3 shot group). The cheap blue and silver box 100 grain.

jeremyray25
    thanks for the recommendations guys. This will hopefully save me some money before I find one that shoots well.

If you have any other experience with ones that work well in axis, please let me know.

THESAW249
    first post here! to be honest everything ive shot out of my .243 axis has been under an inch if i do my part. the 58gr moly coated hornady made a cloverleaf at 100 yds, and the 100gr federal power shok's all stay at about an inch for 3 shot groups. makes me happy!

Dom

p.s. for some reason you cant import pictures from a file, it must be from a URL? i was going to post a pic of my gun

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by THESAW249 View Post
    p.s. for some reason you cant import pictures from a file, it must be from a URL?
    Yup, that's right. That way the forum server doesn't have to host/store the photos. They are hosted on a different web site and simply displayed here.

I use picasa to host my photos. Lots of folks use photobucket.

MikeLid
    I am also having some issues with accuracy in my new Axis. I have tried the 100 grain Federal Power Shock, and some 95 grain HSM Trophy Gold, but in my first trip out to the range with it the best I could manage were about 2 1/2 in. groupings. I know it is not completely me because I can manage MOA groupings with my dad's Tikka. Do you guys have any suggestions? Different ammo? Trigger job?

-Thanks!

MikeLid, first yes, a better trigger will most likely make a great improvement as those factory Axis tirggers are truly awful. Second, make sure your barrel is free floating. Open the barrel channel up if need be, especially if you are using a bi-pod. The forearms on Axis' stocks are flimsy and often allow for a lot of flex when used with a bi-pod and so the barrel will touch your barrel and cause accuracy issues. Also remember not to shoot too fast. Often those thinner sporter barrels will start tracking off and throwing shots if they get hot. Keep your shots spread out with a couple of minutes between each and several minutes between groups.

Also check all of your scope mounts and rings. If your rifle came with a package scope then its most likely loose as they often don't get things tight enough on the scopes at the factory. Also wiggle the bases while you have the scope off. If the front screws are too long they will bottom out and allow the base to move a little bit. Just some stuff to check.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

MikeLid
    bootsmcguire thanks for the feedback! I think you are right about the barrel being hot and coming in contact with the stock. I didn't wait between shots (I have never had a barrel that heated up as quickly as my axis), and I was using a rest that put pressure on the front end of the stock.

I got rid of the scope and rings that came on it right away after trying to sight it in the first time in the desert. You are right, they are pretty junky. They kept coming loose every 10 rounds or so. But before I took it to the range I put a new vortex on it with burris zee rings torqued to spec.

Going to try it again tonight the some Hornady V-Max and slow down with my shooting. Thanks again!

Ferro1511
    I shot Winchester power max 100gr factory ammo and had 5 shots toching. I also had a timney trigger too

Not sure if you guys get PPU / highlander over in the US... but the 90g highlander is very good stuff.

Dogtired
    Federal 100 grains in my son's new 243 axis. I got it to group at .75" Tough to do though because the stock is sooooooooooo flimsy.