Thread: Is it the magazine or the stock? People with 111 Trophy Hunter, help?

Inebriated

Is it the magazine or the stock? People with 111 Trophy Hunter, help?

So I've got a 111 .30-06 that isn't feeding correctly. The magazine has to be pushed up into the mag well for the bolt to strip a round off. Now I played around with it for a while, and found exactly where the problem is.

The magazine has a tab on the back that interfaces with a tab on the floorplate (Part 5 on this schematic... doesn't show the tab, but there is one), so the magazine stays up where the bolt can pick a round up. On mine, there's a gap between the tabs that is about 1/20" wide, and it's allowing the magazine to drop down.

Now I'm not sure whether it's the magazine, or the floorplate. Here's a pic... I put a dime between the tab on the mag and the floorplate just to show that there's a gap. Now I'm hoping someone with a 111TH can tell me whether this is a magazine issue or floorplate issue?

Thanks for any input.

thomae
    One other possibility (especially if you purchased the rifle used) is that the magazine lips are too close together and need to be tweaked just a bit to let the cartridges sit that much higher in the magazine.

Do you have a friend with a long action DBM? Perhaps you could try his or her magazine in your rifle and see if it works. If it works and yours does not, it could be that someone prior to you adjusted the feed lips.

Whatever you do, don't try to bend the little rear tab. They snap off. I'll leave it to you to guess how I know that.

Inebriated
    No one here owns another 111, and the rifle is new. I THINK I've heard of someone else with this issue, but no fix.

Anyway, I just shimmed up that plastic tab with.... ready for it?

.... duct tape!!!

It actually works really well. And I'm glad I didn't play with that rear tab... I was about to lol.

ellobo
    If this is a new rifle call Savage and ask to talk to a service rep. Sounds like some kind of defect in assembly and they may want you to return it for repair at their expense. Even if not new to you give a call anyway and they may be able to tell you how to fix it.

El Lobo

Urbanistic
    I have a 111 XP and i bet all you have to do is bend your magazine clip away from the center to catch that gap better. Mine always feeds fine, but if i get a little trouble I make sure that bend is correct.

Yours looks off to the left about the thickness of that dime, viewing the pic above. Your clip arm that catches the floor should be straight.

Urbanistic
    Here is a photo of a correct position new out of box...