I only just recently became aware of the Savage Model 12 and its awesome reputation - I used to shoot two or three times a week and always bought and sold a gun or two per year.

So I have been hiding my head in the sand as far as Savage's image and products in today's world....

But last week I was browsing local pawn shops looking for anything that I couldn't live without, and I spotted a used Savage Model 12 in .22/250. Asked 'em what they wanted and they said $349. Seemed like a decent price. The rifle looked a little rough cosmetically, but the bore looked good.

I decided I had to at least think about it overnight and I went home and wondered what I could dig up in trade to knock the price down a little bit. I had a Taurus .22 pistol which I inherited and had never shot. So I took that in the next day and asked if they wanted to do some tradin'. I was actually willing to have given them the Taurus and $200. The guy looked the Taurus over and scratched his chin for a moment and said he'd do the deal for $50 difference.

I could not turn it down for $50 out of pocket.

Have not shot it yet.

Curiously it appears to be a very early model - no accutrigger.