Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Operation "Make A Sniper Cry" - Stevens 200 Build Up x 2

hawzwood

We need video of the presentation!

broken6r
    Quote Originally Posted by 1983Weatherby View Post
    You need to post a range report after you get your next shipment.
    For sure! I'm still debating whether or not to fire them prior to letting him pick one. Either way, I will be the one firing the first shots. Considering that I built these (even though I did use go/no go guages), if one is going to blow up in someones face, it will be mine and mine alone.

Quote Originally Posted by hawzwood View Post
    We need video of the presentation!
    That, I will not do. As I have given a little background here, nothing identifiable will ever be shown. No video, no pictures.

I also weighed both rifles. The McGowan comes in at 11.8 pounds, and the Shilen is an even 12.0 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by broken6r View Post
    For sure! I'm still debating whether or not to fire them prior to letting him pick one. Either way, I will be the one firing the first shots. Considering that I built these (even though I did use go/no go gauges), if one is going to blow up in someones face, it will be mine and mine alone.
    I don't think you have anything to worry about concerning the gun blowing up.

Just tell him you want him to have which ever one he likes the most and you won't be upset if he accepts the one that shoots best. I think that is how you are leaning.

Just out of curiosity, have you considered how to handle this if he isn't willing to accept your gift. There are some people, you just can't give things to. I do hope this works out well for the both of you. If he is one of those that can't take a gift this big, I hope you understand he is still likely gratified by your effort to give thanks.

How did you pick the scope? I need to get one for my 10 FCP before winter is over.
    Last edited by Szumi; 01-21-2013 at 06:50 PM.

broken6r
    Quote Originally Posted by Szumi View Post

How did you pick the scope? I need to get one for my 10 FCP before winter is over.
    Lots and lots of reading on various scopes. Settled on fixed 10x because that is what he already knows, and frankly, the price was right.

Also a quick update for the day. The drag bags and rear bags arrived yesterday. MidwayUSA's drag bags are definitely not something you would find made in America quality wise. However, for their intended purpose of protecting these rifles they will do quite well. They are not cheap crap, but I wouldn't want to actually drag them through a field either. Something tells me that they would develop wear holes fairly fast.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Szumi View Post

Just tell him you want him to have which ever one he likes the most and you won't be upset if he accepts the one that shoots best. I think that is how you are leaning.

Just out of curiosity, have you considered how to handle this if he isn't willing to accept your gift. There are some people, you just can't give things to. I do hope this works out well for the both of you. If he is one of those that can't take a gift this big, I hope you understand he is still likely gratified by your effort to give thanks.

What distances are you going to shoot? Just target shooting or hunting? Both?

I have a 10 FCP K.

broken6r
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm0812 View Post
    What distances are you going to shoot? Just target shooting or hunting? Both?

I have a 10 FCP K.
    Matt, let's say from point blank, to 1,000 yards (once I find a suitable location for it), and any distance in between. Personally, I fully intend to hunt with mine. I'm used to toting around an M1 Garand (9 pounds unloaded) while hunting, so this won't be much difference for me.

If you guys ever want to upgrade to a hard case at a good price, I would highly suggest a plano airglide. When you carry the case, the rifle is always in the vertical position. I see a lot of guys carrying their customs in these at the shoot I used to attend.
    Here is a link.
    http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Vertical...no+rifle+cases

Quote Originally Posted by zap View Post
    If you guys ever want to upgrade to a hard case at a good price, I would highly suggest a plano airglide. When you carry the case, the rifle is always in the vertical position. I see a lot of guys carrying their customs in these at the shoot I used to attend.
    Here is a link.
    http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Vertical...no+rifle+cases
    I'll second that. I have two of the cases and they work really well.

broken6r
    Just a quick weekend update for you folks. I took out both rifles this morning, and ran 2 rounds through each one. I am pleased to report that both functioned flawlessly, and none of the cases showed any signs of issues. I did take some pics for you all, but my camera decided not to save them for whatever reason. I am, however, still waiting for my ammo from Southwest Ammunition.

Thats great news mate!

Hope it makes him smile as I'm sure it will.

msummers
    Great looking rifles!

Basic Member
    Thanks for the Plano link looks like a good buy!

Rifles look awesome! Can't wait to see some groups!

broken6r
    Just an update for everyone as I wanted to let you all know I have not forgotten about this thread. I am still awaiting my ammo shipment from Southwest Ammunition. I tried calling them last night, and got to an answering machine stating they can not answer all calls as they should be loading ammo instead, which is completely understandable for a small company. It recommended emailing them instead, which I have done. Hopefully when they get back to me, they will be able to provide a status on my order.

airdale
    Thanks for the update, I check often to see how this turns out. It's a really nice thing you're dong.

What you are doing for your buddy is really cool, and shows what kind of person/friend you are. Both rifles look great, can't wait to hear the range report.

broken6r
    Quote Originally Posted by shoalwater View Post
    What you are doing for your buddy is really cool, and shows what kind of person/friend you are. Both rifles look great, can't wait to hear the range report.
    Shoalwater, the range report may take some time. During function testing each rifle only had 2 rounds of cheap ammo through it. Actual site in will not be until after my order of precision ammo has arrived, and I have let my buddy take his pick of the 2 rifles. Not only that, but the scope may need to be moved forward or back to fit him correctly, so I figure it is better to wait and let him sight his in himself. Unfortunately, I have called/emailed Southwest Ammunition every day since initially trying to contact them on 1/30 without response. The only assumption I can currently make, is they are inundated from the current hysteria as they are a small company. At this time, it all hinges on my ammo order. That's the only piece of the puzzle left.

I hear you on ammo, I just don't have the time these days to reload. I have been trying to get ahold of more match ammo in 223 the last few months. I have a heavy bbl long range AR I built last year that I still haven't squeezed the trigger on, due to not being able to get a hold of enough quality ammo.

Basic Member
    Gonna subscribe so I can see how it turns out! I've been following along and watching it for a while. I'm sure your friend will be ecstatic! Awesome builds! Hope y'all get to enjoy them soon!

broken6r
    Quote Originally Posted by triglet40 View Post
    Gonna subscribe so I can see how it turns out! I've been following along and watching it for a while. I'm sure your friend will be ecstatic! Awesome builds! Hope y'all get to enjoy them soon!
    Thank you for the support!

goinssr
    broken6r....this is really a great thing that you are doing for your friend. Wish I had a friend that thought that much of what I do for them. Now...Do you realize what you have cost me?! I've been snooping around this thread for a while and really like what you have put together, so I'm out and about today and found a BNIB Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 for $279. Guess what I brought home? Guess what I'm fixin' to do? When the SHTF here I'm going to refer my wife to you for answers! This is your fault! (thanks)

broken6r
    Quote Originally Posted by goinssr View Post
    broken6r....this is really a great thing that you are doing for your friend. Wish I had a friend that thought that much of what I do for them. Now...Do you realize what you have cost me?! I've been snooping around this thread for a while and really like what you have put together, so I'm out and about today and found a BNIB Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 for $279. Guess what I brought home? Guess what I'm fixin' to do? When the SHTF here I'm going to refer my wife to you for answers! This is your fault! (thanks)
    goinssr,
    First off, Thank you for the support!! Second, if you show her my itemized list on page 1, you can happily point out that you're already doing it more cheaply than I did! My Steven's 200's cost me $340 each, and I had to special order them! Third, point out that you couldn't possibly pass up such a great deal! Last but not least, when that doesn't work (and it won't), make sure you tell her that this is all my fault. You can even show her where I said so!

seanhagerty
    I'm using that excuse too.

broken6r
    Quote Originally Posted by seanhagerty View Post
    I'm using that excuse too.
    To the loving, beautiful, devoted, and talented wife of seanhagerty.

Please accept my deepest regrets and most sincere apology. I must tell you that the reason for your finances being reduced as of late, is completely my fault. Your devoted and hard working husband, that only has eyes for you, has been following my build thread since page 1 with much enthusiasm for what I am doing for my friend as well as myself. It is with the utmost regret that I write to you today, to inform you that your husband has been seduced by my project. Please try to understand. He is one of the most hard working and devoted people there is, and deserves a custom made, precision Savage rifle, that he himself has built. Were it not for your love and support of this fine man, his project of precision would not be possible. It is a great honor that he has been bestowed upon with the desire to himself own a highly tuned, customized Savage based precision rifle. The most beneficial part of all, is the silver lining to this. When the zombies attack, he will be able to defend you in infinite glory from afar, without endangering himself. The ultimate reason behind his project of precision, is that when this day of brain chewing zombies comes, he will be well prepared to defend you from a tactically superior vantage point at great distances. Please trust my word on this, as I am the most trustworthy type of person of all. I come from the Internet.

Respectfully,
    broken6r

How's that?

seanhagerty
    OK, what caliber do you need? Where do I send it?

Sean

goinssr
    Quote Originally Posted by broken6r View Post
    To the loving, beautiful, devoted, and talented wife of seanhagerty.

Please accept my deepest regrets and most sincere apology. I must tell you that the reason for your finances being reduced as of late, is completely my fault. Your devoted and hard working husband, that only has eyes for you, has been following my build thread since page 1 with much enthusiasm for what I am doing for my friend as well as myself. It is with the utmost regret that I write to you today, to inform you that your husband has been seduced by my project. Please try to understand. He is one of the most hard working and devoted people there is, and deserves a custom made, precision Savage rifle, that he himself has built. Were it not for your love and support of this fine man, his project of precision would not be possible. It is a great honor that he has been bestowed upon with the desire to himself own a highly tuned, customized Savage based precision rifle. The most beneficial part of all, is the silver lining to this. When the zombies attack, he will be able to defend you in infinite glory from afar, without endangering himself. The ultimate reason behind his project of precision, is that when this day of brain chewing zombies comes, he will be well prepared to defend you from a tactically superior vantage point at great distances. Please trust my word on this, as I am the most trustworthy type of person of all. I come from the Internet.

Respectfully,
    broken6r

How's that?
    I believe I'll just copy/paste this into a word doc, fill in my own name and print it for future use.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast