Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation "Make A Sniper Cry" - Stevens 200 Build Up x 2

Nandy

You are a great friend. Good luck with your build.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post

For swaps post factory barrels .......

A rear entry wrench and a open ended spanner. No need to remove the scope or mounts, pull one barrel and slap another on.

Bill
    Wow, I really like that set up. The rear entry tool locks up in the lugs ??

broken6r
    Quote Originally Posted by M.O.A. View Post
    how about some pics ;-} it sounds like you and your buddy are going to have some fine shooters
    Thanks M.O.A.! I'll be sure to get some pics up. The rifles are due to arrive at the local gun store on Thursday. Unfortunately the scopes are going to be delayed. Turns out my bank automatically blocks purchases taking you beyond $1,000 in a day unless you notify them ahead of time. Who would have known?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelheadave View Post
    Wow, I really like that set up. The rear entry tool locks up in the lugs ??

In the lug races in the receiver ring.

Bill

BRIAN G
    Just a quick suggestion. You may want to get your barrels on order. Lead times have been running long. I'm in a 12-14 week wait for a CBI now.

Basic Member
    Gun shack just posted they have McGowan prefits in stock .308 cal. I've got one in 300 RUM, just haven't had the time to try it out yet.

broken6r
    May have to go the McGowan route. Also liking that they're made near where both of us grew up. Should also add that i'm not ordering barrels until later this week until I have the rifles in hand. Being short actions, they should be small shank. However, I would feel a whole lot better about spending the money when I can put my hands on the rifles and be 100% sure
    Last edited by broken6r; 12-11-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Samdweezel05
    They will be small shank, nothing to worry about there. You did the right thing by buying both go and no-go gauges. I know many people swear by the piece of tape on the case head but I really like my gauges. I also think what you are doing is fantastic. I had plans to do something similar for a family member when they came home from the Afghanistan as a sniper but he was taken from us only weeks after getting home. Keep up the good work.

Nandy
    Quote Originally Posted by Samdweezel05 View Post
    he was taken from us only weeks after getting home.
    I hate it when anyone is KIA but I specially hate those that are KIA weeks before the end of their tours... God bless your family and our troops...

broken6r
    Quote Originally Posted by Samdweezel05 View Post
    They will be small shank, nothing to worry about there. You did the right thing by buying both go and no-go gauges. I know many people swear by the piece of tape on the case head but I really like my gauges. I also think what you are doing is fantastic. I had plans to do something similar for a family member when they came home from the Afghanistan as a sniper but he was taken from us only weeks after getting home. Keep up the good work.
    Hey buddy thanks for the input. I'm so sorry about your loss. I have been fortunate enough that all those I know that went to that part of the world have returned. They have all come home with severe hearing loss and some bad memories, but that is about the extent. I consider myself fortunate for that.

Good for you, way to return a favor!

B&C A2 Meadlists are in stock at Stocky's right now and Northlander might have some HS Precision in stock as well with DBM. I'd get new recoil lugs and tactical bolt handles from Stockade while your at it, I like the knurled bolt handle a little better than SSS's and the recoil lug can be had in a matte black finish. I love the SSS Competition triggers but you can tune the factory trigger and save some money.
    Last edited by taylorce1; 12-13-2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: predictive text

broken6r
    Short update for the end of the week. The rifles did not make it to the local gun shop today, so they should hopefully come in on Monday. Also Monday I should receive the scopes and bases from swfa.com. Once the rifles are in hand I will get barrels, stocks, triggers and some kind of finish on the way. Still undecided on the finishes.

Yesterday brought with it the delivery of the action wrench, scope rings, barrel nut wrench, and go/no go gauges from midwayusa.com. Unfortunately midwayusa.com likes to advertise on their boxes, and the UPS guy delivered it to the shop where we work, instead of my house. My buddy i'm doing this for pointed at the box and wanted to know what was in it. Normally he would not let me weasel out of a real answer with something like that, but a stroke of luck ensued when he accepted a shrug of the shoulders, followed by me walking away. Close call, but not close enough.

Basic Member
    Cool build projects. Great thing you are doing!

Didn't come across if you picked a trigger yet but I just got one of the rifle basix Sav-1 trigger for about $75 and I must say it is the easiest trigger yet I have found to install and tune. And the resulting trigger pull is better then any of my timmeys or SSS or modified accu triggers. I haven't tried the timmey on the savage yet but on other models I have.

Good shooting!

BT

broken6r
    Sorry for the delay in updates gang. On Tuesday, I ordered the following:

Competition recoil lugs: $25 x 2
    Savage Trigger Guard: Steel Matte: $20 x 2
    McGowen 308 Win 26" Varmint Contour Stainless Steel: $249 x 2
    Total: $588 plus $22.05 shipping - $610.05 shipped.

This order was from http://www.gunshack.com. Although, I am a little bit concerned. The order is still showing as "processing" on their site, and it does not look like they have even tried to bill me as of yet. Does anyone know how long they normally take to process orders?

broken6r
    Update for the day. I got a call from gunshack.com - Unfortunately they only had 1 24" McGowen barrel in stock, in .308Win, so they are going to send me that along with the rest of my order. As luck would have it, I finally got off of work early enough today to call Jim over at NSS. Jim came to the rescue with a Shilen 26" in .308Win. He is such a nice guy, that I couldn't say no to new barrel nuts, and Rifle Basix Sav-1 triggers. Once I get more parts here than just the stock Stevens rifles we have all seen, I will get some progress pictures up.

Buy the action wrench and barrel wrench from Jim Briggs.I dont see how you will get a new factory tightened barrel off without a reciever wrench.2nd call Jim at 1-763-6824296 and he will get you the at least varmint weight barrel you should buy. His price's are the best around and he will guide you through the whole process.Call and leave a message and HE WILL CALL you back.I can promise you he will.He delivers within a short time and always comes through.He has criterion(kreigers other division) barrels and shilen barrels,both excellent choice's.You simply cant go wrong.I would order his precision barrel nuts as well.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

broken6r
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    Buy the action wrench and barrel wrench from Jim Briggs.I dont see how you will get a new factory tightened barrel off without a reciever wrench.2nd call Jim at 1-763-6824296 and he will get you the at least varmint weight barrel you should buy. His price's are the best around and he will guide you through the whole process.Call and leave a message and HE WILL CALL you back.I can promise you he will.He delivers within a short time and always comes through.He has criterion(kreigers other division) barrels and shilen barrels,both excellent choice's.You simply cant go wrong.I would order his precision barrel nuts as well.
    jon, I had already purchased a McGowan from gunshack, so that's already on order. Would have had 2 but they only had one in stock. Jim at NSS is sending me a Shilen for the other rifle, Sav-1 triggers for both, and his barrel nuts for both. While I was talking to him, he mentioned that the wheeler action wrench (already have) doesn't quite fit the center feed savages correctly and can damage the pin on the recoil lug. To play it safe, I also ordered his head for the wheeler action wrench. Which is fine with me, now I have one that'll properly fit old to new model Savages, and Remington 700's. Jim was a ton of help. He also said if I have any questions during my barrel swap to give him a call, and that he would happily walk me through it.

Basic Member
    I'm extremely jealous. My next build is going to be very similar to this.

broken6r
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm0812 View Post
    I'm extremely jealous. My next build is going to be very similar to this.
    Matt, the guy got me into a ****ed good career. It's the least I could do

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by broken6r View Post
    Matt, the guy got me into a ****ed good career. It's the least I could do
    I gotcha.

Where did you order the rifles from?

broken6r
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm0812 View Post
    I gotcha.

Where did you order the rifles from?
    I got them from the local gun shop.

Basic Member
    What height of the rings did you get?

broken6r
    Rings are Weaver Tactical, medium height

broken6r Your a good guy for doing this for your buddy I'm sure he will love it. Do either of you reload or are you going to shoot factory ammo?

broken6r
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    broken6r Your a good guy for doing this for your buddy I'm sure he will love it. Do either of you reload or are you going to shoot factory ammo?
    Dan, factory for now. Although I intend to start rolling my own, just not yet. I want to get the rifles completed first.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast