Thread: Bolt head question

Basic Member

Bolt head question

I have a 110 action and am wanting to do a long action .22-250. Are the model 10 bolt heads interchangeable with the long action bolts or are they unique. I see different bolt heads for short and long on Midway, but the longs are on backorder.

Longs are different than shorts. You need a 30-06 bolt head.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

stangfish
    95% of the time you will have a 30-06 bolt head or a magnum bolt head already on your action. Which one do you currently have?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    95% of the time you will have a 30-06 bolt head or a magnum bolt head already on your action. Which one do you currently have?
    I have a magnum bolt head on it now.

Basic Member
    Also, I don't have the spring or follower for the magazine, so I am guessing that one for a 30-06 will work for me, or is there a special follower that I will need?

stangfish
    Do a swap in the classifieds. I think you would need to change out the mag body and the follower to get what you want. Since the 22-250 is not something you find in a Push Feed long action you may need to tweek the lips on anything you get.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the help. I now have a parts list for the rest of the build. I am not in a huge rush, so I am sure the parts will come back around. Are the PTG bolt heads worth the price difference between them and the factory bolt heads?

You can swap mag boxes. The followers are the same I believe. Just make sure you get the correct one, centerfeed vs. staggerfeed.

Get the 30-06 bolt head and you should be good to go.

I've ran 22-250, 22-250AI, and 220 Swift out of a long action box without having to tweek the mag. I may have gotten lucky.

I don't believe the PTG are inherently more accurat, but they might be worth the peace of mind knowing they are made by a reputable manufacturer that is making them in smaller batches than whoever is making them for Savage.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar