Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation "Make A Sniper Cry" - Stevens 200 Build Up x 2

broken6r

Operation "Make A Sniper Cry" - Stevens 200 Build Up x 2

Target: Former military sniper, and close friend of mine.

Objective: Make him cry as his wife thinks he will, and get both of us in to long range shooting. Also documenting here for anyone interested in a build thread.

Background: I was stuck in a pretty dead end career path that didn't pay very well. Because of my friend, I am now going in a completely different direction, in a field that will afford me a very comfortable life in the long run. It took a move to a new area to where neither of us have been all that long, but because of him I got hired on, and the job is going great. Due to his military background, .308 holds a very special place with him. He badly wants one, but it's just not in the cards due to having a large family. The best thing I can think of, to begin expressing my gratitude for what he has done for me, is to build him a tack driver in his beloved caliber.

Build Concept:
    Base rifle: A pair of Stevens 200's in .308
    Barrels: Brand, length, and twist rate undecided as of yet.
    Bolt: Both will receive "Tactical" bolt handles. Likely from http://sharpshootersupply.com/
    Optics: SWFA SS 10x42, rear focus, Mil/Mil.
    Mounts: Undecided. Also need to figure out what height rings I am going to need.
    Triggers: Timney or Rifle Basix. Undecided as of yet.
    Stocks: Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist. One in olive web, the other in tan web so that the rifles are not completely identical.
    Finish: Olive stock combined with a tan finish on the rest of the rifle, where the tan stock will get an olive drab finish on the rest of the rifle.
    Tools: Go/No go gauges, action wrench, barrel nut wrench.
    Extras if I can weasel it into my budget: drag bags, sun shades, Butler Creek flip up caps, Harris bipods, rear bags, ballistics cards, and as much match ammo as I can afford.

Running tally as built:
    Base rifles: 2x Stevens 200's in .308 - $340 each - $680 total
    Optics: SWFA SS 10x42, rear focus, Mil/Mil. x2 - $299.95 each, $599.90 total
    Mounts: Weaver 30mm Tactical 6-Hole scope rings x2 from MidwayUSA. $38.49 each: $76.98 total
    EGW Picatinny Rail 1 Piece Scope Mount x2 - $39.95 each. $79.90 total
    Optics Accessories: Butler Creek Caps - $15.95 each, $31.90 total
    Barrels: McGowan 24" Stainless Steel, Varmint Contour - $249.00 - Ordered from GunShack
    Shilen Select Match Stainless Steel, Varmint Contour - $339.00 - Northland Shooter Supply
    Triggers: Rifle Basix Sav-1 x 2 - $85.00 each, $170.00 total - Northland Shooter Supply
    Barrel nuts: NSS Stainless Steel barrel nuts x 2 - $28.00 each, $56 total
    Recoil Lugs: Savage Competition Recoil Lug x 2 - $25.00 each, $50 total - GunShack
    Trigger Guards: Savage Trigger Guard, Steel Matte x 2 - $20.00 each, $40 total - GunShack
    Bolt Handles: Savage Tactical Bolt Handle BT-Style (factory large bolt handle) x 2 - $27.00 each, $54.00 total - Tactical Works
    Stocks: B&C Medalist Tactical, 1 in O.D. Green w/ black web, other in Black w/ grey web - $240.00 each, $480.00 total - Shooters Discount
    Finish: Aluma-Hyde II in earth brown, and O.D. green - $12.99 each, $25.98 total - Brownells
    Hearing protection: Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs x 2 - $49.99 each, $99.98 total - Brownells
    Rear bags: MidwayUSA Tactical Rear Shooting in O.D. green x 2 - $12.99 each, $25.98 total - Midway USA
    Cases: MidwayUSA Sniper Drag Bag Scoped Rifle Gun Case 56" Nylon - Once in black, the other in coyote - $74.99 each, $149.98 total - Midway USA
    Ammo (all is 20 round boxes, match grade. Each rifle comes with 100 rounds):
    .308Win 175g SMK Premium - Loaded in new Lapua brass x 2 - $33.99 each, $67.98 total
    .308Win 178g Amax x 2 - $23.99 each, $47.98 total
    .308Win 168g Amax x 4 - $23.49 each, $93.96 total
    Non match .308Win Ultramax 168g Boat Tail HP - sight in ammo only x 2 - $20.99 each, $41.98 total

Build costs:
    McGowan build: $1,685.25
    Shilen build: $1,775.25
    Build total: $3,460.50

Tools (not included in build cost): Go/No gauges - $25.49 each, $50.98 total.
    Barrel nut wrench - $25.49
    Action wrench: $58.99
    Extras (not included in build cost): EGW Replacement Torx Mount Screws (for Shilen setup only) - $5.00

Grand total: $3,600.96

My original budget was about $1,200 per rifle. Looks like I went a little over. Oops. :D
    Last edited by broken6r; 01-26-2013 at 09:06 AM.

broken6r
    Ordered: 2 x Stevens 200's in .308 win. Should be here on Thursday.
    Cost to date: $680.

Basic Member
    Why only a 10x power scope?

Where the 20x is the same price.

broken6r
    Quote Originally Posted by mattm0812 View Post
    Why only a 10x power scope?

Where the 20x is the same price.
    I want them to be feasible for hunting as well. We're out in the prairie so weight is not a massive concern, but too much magnification is. Also, he trained on fixed 10x so it won't be anything new to him either.

Basic Member
    Gotcha.

The newer stevens actions are very smooth.

broken6r
    Speaking of the newer Stevens action, anyone know if they're the round receiver or flat receiver? Trying to figure out what mounts I need.
    http://swfa.com/Savage-C2594.aspx

Also, medium rings should be high enough for a SWFA SS, shouldn't they?

Looking at these http://swfa.com/Vortex-Tactical-30mm-Ring-P51756.aspx or these http://swfa.com/Weaver-Tactical-6-Ho...gs-P46491.aspx

Basic Member
    Round.

Flat were the older ones.

And yes medium should be good.

broken6r
    Ordered: SWFA SS 10x42 x 2, and EGW 20 MOA base x2.
    Cost of the above: $732.34 shipped
    Cost to date: $1412.34

Basic Member
    Credit card company is probably freaking out haha.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Your ring height may be determined by the diameter of the barrel at the reciever / barrel joint. I had all my scopes sitting within 1/4 inch of the barrel. When I started changing to fat barrels, I changed rings,too. I didn't have much choice.

Sporter barrel starts to taper right at the action.

Double check before you buy.

Good luck with your project(s).

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

broken6r
    I fully expect a call from Visa about my check card this week. Last time I spent a ton of money in a short time, they called 3 or 4 times within a couple days to make sure it was all legit.

Basic Member
    By the way, the Weaver 6 hole slots are all I use (4 hole on the 1 inch scope). I love those rings. I have never had a scope slip & they look really cool, too.

I'd say they have a cool factor of at least 8.

Back to making ammo.... Later.

Frank in Fla

I would get a barrel vise instead of the action wrench- Go gague is a good thing, no-go not needed- save that $$$ for more ammo

Basic Member
    Neither is needed. Pieces of tape work fine...

BillPA has a really good/cheap method for barrel changes......perhaps he will chime in here later.

Basic Member
    I hate barrel wrenches.... Action wrench for me. Especially for those troublesome barrels where the threads are packed with little tiny pieces of steel shot from the bead blast or whatever textures the matte finishes.

rattfink
    This is a very cool project. I'm sure the rifle is something he will always treasure, and his children will probably fight over some day.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    BillPA has a really good/cheap method for barrel changes......perhaps he will chime in here later.
    You rang?

My tools are only cheap if your changing a couple barrels. If its a one and done deal your probably ahead dollar wise paying a smith. With that said, my factory barrel setup...

I lost count long ago how many factory installed barrels its defeated with little effort. In fact a local smith used to borrow it occasionally!

For swaps post factory barrels .......

A rear entry wrench and a open ended spanner. No need to remove the scope or mounts, pull one barrel and slap another on.

Bill
    Last edited by BillPa; 12-08-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Bill,
    I love your setup- especially the "post factory barrel" setup. I hate haffin to pull scopes for barrel swaps.

Bossman

JCalhoun
    Broken;

Where are you located? There is a good chance you're close enough to somebody who can help you with the barrel/stock swaps and finding a place to shoot LR.

broken6r
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    Broken;

Where are you located? There is a good chance you're close enough to somebody who can help you with the barrel/stock swaps and finding a place to shoot LR.
    Already ordered the tools so i'm good to go. As far as land to shoot on, i'm in a tiny town surrounded by prairie so it shouldn't be too hard. Also got a line on a local guy with a 1,000 yard range on his land he shoots open sights on. Rumor has it if I take him beer, I will likely get permission to use his personal range.

I have 6 SS scopes mounted, some with EGW bases and some with Burris XTR. I use the LOW rings for all, SS tactical or XTR tactical, 3 on bull barrels and 3 on varmint.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

broken6r
    Ordered: Weaver 30mm Tactical 6-Hole scope rings x2 from MidwayUSA. $38.49 each: $76.98 total
    Ordered (not including in build price): Go/No Go gauges ($25.49 each), Barrel nut wrench ($25.49), action wrench ($58.99): $135.46
    Cost to date, not including tools: $1489.32

broken6r
    For anyone still reading, I will also be updating my initial post with the running total and parts list as built, as well.

M.O.A.
    how about some pics ;-} it sounds like you and your buddy are going to have some fine shooters

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast