Thread: Hogue Overmolded full bed stock

Hogue Overmolded full bed stock

Just got one for my 111 XP--in a word--magnificent! Dropped right in and fit in just a few minutes--no fit problems whatsoever and the drop-in mag works exactly as it does in the OEM stock. I am so impressed that I called Hogue and begged them to make one for the Axis--they said they get that request every now and then but that it just hasn't made it's way up the list of priorities. Maybe if everyone on the list spent an hour or so each week calling the major manufacturers--somebody will break down and do it! : )

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Are you going to tell us where you got it & what you paid for it or do I need to get out my crystal ball & black robe?...

Thanks
    Frank inFla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Are you going to tell us where you got it & what you paid for it or do I need to get out my crystal ball & black robe?...

Thanks
    Frank inFla
    Apologies--but my go-to source for most everything is Midway--usually whatever I order is on it's way within hours. I believe it is around $180 for the full bed--a beautiful piece of engineering but you can even get the twin pillar partial bed stock for under $100--an incredible deal for a stock of this high quality IMO (both of em).
    Last edited by thermaler; 12-12-2012 at 04:48 PM.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Sounds like I need to look into that. I'm growing weary of the Savage stocks. They did well over time but I think it's time to move up a notch or three.
    My new 30.06 project requires a better stock. I'd like to find something simple in form but good and stout. Basic black is the color of choice.

Thanks for the heads up on Midway. I shop there quite a bit, too.....

(Dontcha just love filling out those product evaluations they send ya?)

Frank in Fla
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    Sounds like I need to look into that. I'm growing weary of the Savage stocks. They did well over time but I think it's time to move up a notch or three.
    My new 30.06 project requires a better stock. I'd like to find something simple in form but good and stout. Basic black is the color of choice.

Thanks for the heads up on Midway. I shop there quite a bit, too.....

(Dontcha just love filling out those product evaluations they send ya?)

Frank in Fla
    I actually have no idea how they can offer this stock at this low of a price--it's a fiberglass base which is then injection molded under high pressure to the rubber "skin" and CNC machined 7075 aluminum bed. The fore-end base is reasonably wide for bench shooting but I can't tell any weight difference between it and the original stock. Anyway--it all goes out to the range tomorrow morning for break-in and scope zeroing--I'll let ya know how it works out.
    Last edited by thermaler; 12-12-2012 at 05:22 PM.

They have been promising that stock for 5 years. Nice to see it made it out to market!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

kevin_stevens
    So when you say drop-in mag - this is a centerfeed? It's been vague to me from their website whether their stocks are centerfeed or staggerfeed.

KeS

Oh God--I was afraid someone would ask that. Do be honest, I'm not positive I'm correct--but here's my understanding, such as it is (they offer both centerfeed and staggered, short and long action as well as partial and full bedding):

As far as I know, any recent manufactured savage of the series that this stock fits and has a drop-in mag is most likely centerfeed. The confusion lies in the magazine itself--which will stagger the rounds when you load it. If you go to Hogue's website (www.getgrip.com) look at the pictures for the different style mag wells--the mag well inside the stock should match your original stock--that's the only sure way I can tell whether or not you have staggered or center feed.

One of the things that confounds the after-market stock purchase decision for me is that it often comes down to accepting blind feed or single shot--or hoping the mag/floorplate adapting works out. How refreshing it is to take the 111 and just pop her on with the exact cycling functionality that the original has. : )

PS--Even though I haven't fired it yet--the obvious superiority and safety of the accutrigger really stands out--I can see why Gary loves these things.
    Last edited by thermaler; 12-12-2012 at 10:22 PM.

kevin_stevens
    Hmm, I didn't see them describe center- and stagger- stocks last time I was there, I'll go check again.

If you have the mag well contained within the stock, then yes, it's centerfeed. I was just confused by your "drop in mag" description.

Thanks! Let us know how you like the Hogue. I've heard complaints that it can cause cheek burn.

KeS

What's cheek burn?

kevin_stevens
    The sticky rubber grabs your face under recoil.

KeS

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
    The sticky rubber grabs your face under recoil.

KeS
    I'll bring some cammo tape to wrap the stock if that's an issue--I'll find out, thanks for clarifying. The stickiness of the rubber does seem to attract debris to adhere to it--a potential negative.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_stevens View Post
    Hmm, I didn't see them describe center- and stagger- stocks last time I was there, I'll go check again.

If you have the mag well contained within the stock, then yes, it's centerfeed. I was just confused by your "drop in mag" description.

Thanks! Let us know how you like the Hogue. I've heard complaints that it can cause cheek burn.

KeS
    Detachable box mag is the correct official nomenclature--my bad. I'm still learning my way around these things. The other thing is I looked around and couldn't find the diagram for centerfeed vs staggered feed--though I could swear I saw it up there somewhere.

The directions that come with the stock say:

The stock is designed for Savages' "New Feed System"--(which I assume means detachable box mag that supersedes previous systems.) The stock will also work with hinged floorplate design.

To work with "Old Feed System" blind magazine Hogue provides a spacer for pillar adjustment, if necessary.

The stock is not designed to work with side push button magazine release systems. However, replacing the magazine and magazine well with a blind magazine box from savage will allow use of the overmolded stock.

I hope this helps rather than causes further confusion, sorry!
    Last edited by thermaler; 12-13-2012 at 09:37 AM. Reason: additional research

Fired her today--but only put ten rounds through her since the ammo is a stiff $3.00 a round! The best I could get was one grouping of about 1.5" at 100yds--pretty unremarkable for a 6.5 284. The Nikon scope I think is yet another waste container refugee scope--I'm beginning to accumulate a lot of these pieces of junk that I'm forced to buy in order to get a good rifle. I think the rifle would be better off with a set of cheap iron sites than the Nikon low-end budget scope.

As for the Hogue stock--it functioned very well and stayed put on the bench bag with minimal movement. I noticed no friction at all in the cheek weld--can't figure that one out. My Monarch scope is going to come off my AR 10 and migrate to this rifle before I shoot her next.

kevin_stevens
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    As for the Hogue stock--it functioned very well and stayed put on the bench bag with minimal movement. I noticed no friction at all in the cheek weld--can't figure that one out. My Monarch scope is going to come off my AR 10 and migrate to this rifle before I shoot her next.
    Good to hear - I never had a problem with my Overmolded stock on my 870, but shotguns are a little different.

Tx for the report.

KeS