Thread: 270 Winchester as a Long Range Round.

Centex Bill

270 Winchester as a Long Range Round.

A few days ago I posted a question about the 264 Mag which touched off quite a few responses. Hope this post gets some advice.

I wanted to build a rifle for long range shooting deer up to 500 yards in certain areas of South and West Texas. This is what triggered my interest in the 264 MAG. In the last couple of days, I have the lead on a good 270 Winchester with 24in barrel at a very reasonalbe price.

Money being somehwhat tight(like the rest of the country), I thought about this rifle and round as a long range 500 yard gun. By going this route, I could afford to a much better scope which a key componet of a long range rifle. I have seen a few stout load pushing the 150 gr at 3000 ft/sec. Also I have looked at the Berger VLD bullets and see they make several VLD hunting bullets in .277. The 130gr BC of .452 and the 140gr with a BC of .487 and a 150 gr at BC of .531.

Here is the question:

While this round may not be as flat as the 264 MAG, Could I push the Berger VLDs hard enought to make this rifle a junior 264 MAG. The 270 is a tried and true round but is up to the task of a 450-500 yard deer rifle?

What do you handloading guru's think? I appreciate your help.

Centex Bill

demented

Re: 270 Winchester as a Long Range Round.

Everyone has their opinion that may well differ from mine but I consider ANY non-magnum cartridge to be good to 400 yards tops, some even less. No doubt a 270 can and has killed at 500 yards, I prefer a bit more "oomph" than the .270 has when ranges go past 400 yards. Were I using a .270, I'd try to stalk within my "comfort" zone before taking the shot. Bottom line is if the .270 is a really good deal, I'd buy it and make it work even if I have to change my tactics to do so.

dcloco

Would shoot my 270 to 500 yds on deer size game...in a heartbeat....with 150 gr bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco
    Would shoot my 270 to 500 yds on deer size game...in a heartbeat....with 150 gr bullets.
    +1
    12 FLV 204 Ruger

Basic Member

My 270 holds ~MOA at 500 with 150s but 3000 fps maybe a little optimistic. At least my rifle will not do it in my comfort level.

okie2

150 gr spitzer boat tail 3024 fps with 56.0 grs of RL22 zeroed at 255 feet
    at 500 yards it is going 2145 fps 1533 energy drops 31.5 inches
    estimated animal kill weight 333 pounds

REDTAIL

The late great Hunter & Gun writer Jack O' Conner, has taken just about every large game with the 270 Win cartridge,If you can hold of some of his old articles, they are worth reading about his 270 gun hunts. 8)

Basic Member

I would rather have a good scope than a couple of inches less drop at 500 yds. Stick with your 270 and get some good glass!
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

Team Savage

Keep your rifle and buy a good scope.
    500 yards is no big deal, but you do want a good scope IMO.

Load up some berger 150 gr bullets or hornady/nosler tipped and go for it.

If you were shooting target at 1000 yds I would say go for 7mm but foe hunting at 500 yds the 270 is plenty good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentWin
    I would rather have a good scope than a couple of inches less drop at 500 yds. Stick with your 270 and get some good glass!
    +1

I have never shot my .270 at 500 yards but the energy is certainly there with the right load and if I had practiced at extended ranges I would not hesitate to do so.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

GONRACN

It's all about finding the right load with a heaver bullet. People use the 30-06 all the time for deer at 500+ yards. I can't see why a 270 Win would be any different.

It sounds like fun. ;D

Basic Member

At 500 yards with a 200 yard zero:

300 Win Mag 180grn HPBT has 1690 ft/lbs of energy and has dropped 39.5"

270 Win 140grn SST gas 1500 ft/lbs of energy and has dropped 35"

What are you shooting that 1500 ft/lbs isn't enough?

The .270 Win is prob the most under-rated round out there. It shoots flat and fast and hits with plenty of energy if you put the bullet in the right spot.

slaroy

Quote Originally Posted by mattri
    At 500 yards with a 200 yard zero:

300 Win Mag 180grn HPBT has 1690 ft/lbs of energy and has dropped 39.5"

270 Win 140grn SST gas 1500 ft/lbs of energy and has dropped 35"

What are you shooting that 1500 ft/lbs isn't enough?

The .270 Win is prob the most under-rated round out there. It shoots flat and fast and hits with plenty of energy if you put the bullet in the right spot.
    I couldnt have said it better myself.

ctrout

I have taken 3 deer with my 270 and every one was what I would call a marginal kill. the first was a 120ish mulie buck at about 50 yds with a 150gr CT Partition at 2850fps. The bullet went in right behind the shoulder. It went through both lungs without doing much damage and exited right behind the shoulder on the opposite side. The deer went about 60 yards. I would have expected more expansion and internal damage but the exit hole was only about the size of my index finger.
    The next one was a big bodied 4x4 mulie that probably went about 220. The shot was not more than 75 yards with a 130gr Hornady interlock at 3100fps. The deer was quartering away from me so the shot went in behind the last rib and crossed through the vitals, broke through the off shoulder, and stopped just under the skin. The deer dropped at the shot. I watched through binoculars to ensure that he was dead before I approached because I didn't want to push him. I was confident of the shot but I don't like to take chances. To my utter amazement, he got up and started walking away like he had not been hit. I hit him again on the opposite side. It was an exact mirror image of the first shot and he never flinched. so with two broken shoulders and NO vital organs intact, I watched the best buck that I have ever seen walking away from me. By now I was questioning my rifle's zero and not sure that I had even hit him the second time so I took aim at the high shoulder and broke his spine, putting him down for the count. The autopsy confirmed the first two hits were (or should have been) VERY vital hits. The recovered bullets were perfectly mushroomed and weighed around 70gr.
    The third deer was a doe that I shot last year. 140 pounds maybe. The shot was roughly 300 yards and she was trotting away because my first shot hit a tree branch (confirmed by my spotter). I hit the deer a bit farther forward than what I like and she did a somersault on the way down. It was the most spectacular hit that I have ever seen. The bullet was a 130gr Accubond at 3000ish fps, I don't remember the velocity for sure. When I got to her 10 minutes later, she was still alive. The hole through the front of her shoulders was impressive but she was very much alive and very dangerous. I had to finish her with my 45 Colt. Granted this last case was one of a less than perfect hit but the damage and blood loss should have left her in much less physically capable condition.
    I am still searching for the ideal 270 bullet that can handle a majority of situations well but I have been less than impressed with the results so far. I don't lack confidence in the round because every deer I have shot with it has made it into my freezer. I just think that bullet choice and shot placement are much more critical with the smaller calibers, especially as range increases. Under the most perfect conditions, with the right bullet, I wouldn't attempt a shot longer than 350 yards with my 270.
    My final comment on the 270 is that although I might use it on elk inside of 100 yards with something like a 150gr Partition, I didn't have full confidence in it for that purpose (based on the experiences above). That is why I built my 338-06 and although it only has one elk to its credit, it handled that animal with MUCH more authority that the 270 did with any of the three deer taken with it. I will never shoot an elk with a 270 as long as I'm not too feeble to shoot the 338-06.

lostart

I have a few kills on mule deer with a .270 at or around 500yds. All but one was a one shot kill. I would not hesitate to do it again. Elk may be a different story though. Be familliar with your gun and you should not have too much of a problem. I feel that the .270 is underrated for it's longer range abilliy on deer and goats. Bullet choice is key. Before I loaded for myself, My brother in law would load 130gr Nosler Bts for me and they would turn the heart and lugs to mush....Kind of a cut and dump situation. I will never go without a .270.

dcloco

Try a 150 gr soft point and H4831.

bigngreen

My hunting partner shoots a 270 Win loaded with 130gr Speer BTSP's and I've only seen one animal need two hits and that was a cow elk hit a little back, other than that that gun and load take 10-12 deer and 2 elk a year. Last year his wife TKO'd a cow elk at 430yrds no problem. I've been shooting long range so he's wanting to load some Bergers and see what he can do. My long range rifle is a 270 WSM with 140 Bergers, smokes elk and deer!!! I have notices that the premium style hunting bullets like the Accubond or partitions can struggle to open on deer unless you load the 130's hot or use a softer bullet, elk are dense enough to open almost anything. Bergers are very good on game out of the 270 cals!!!

Basic Member

[img width=600 height=400]http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab333/rritchie1027/GEDC0562.jpg[/img]
    100 yards

[img width=600 height=400]http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab333/rritchie1027/GEDC0762.jpg[/img]
    200 yards

[img width=600 height=400]http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab333/rritchie1027/GEDC0564.jpg[/img]
    350 yards

snipecatcher

I've always used Remington 130 gr. Core-Lokt factory ammo in my 270. I've shot 12-15 deer, and thus far, only 1 has not dropped on the spot. It was a small doe shot at about 30 yards, and she made it about 80 yards after the shot, with a massive blood trail. I never saw the need to handload for that rifle, because the Core-Lokt ammo is so effective and is also accurate. The 150 Bergers would be interesting for long range shooting though.

slaroy

mattri-

details, details, details.... tell us about your rifle. My plain jane savage 111 will shoot but not quite like that.

Basic Member

This actually isn't a Savage, was really just posting to reinforce the fact that a .270 can be made to shoot. Mossberg ATR, bought at the local Walmarrt for $250ish almost a year ago. Cheapish BDC scope with hand loads cooked up on a Lee Aniversaty press.