Thread: Where to find something like this?

Sorenius

Where to find something like this?

I want a handy rifle in an all-around cartridge with easy ammo availability. Medium barrel length / weight with a medium overall weight. I want a rifle that has backup iron sights in case the scope should be damaged or in any ''just in-case'' scenario. Better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them. I prefer stainless / laminate as a personal preference and for weather resistance.

If Savage made the 25 Lightweight Varmint in 30-06 and stainless steel, that would be close to perfect.

Any thoughts on where to start on putting something like this together, perhaps with a Savage action?

• 30-06 Caliber
    • 22" - 24" Light Varmint Taper (Approximatley .7 Inches at Muzzle)
    • Integrated Iron Sights (for SHTF / backup)
    • Drilled / Tapped for Scope Mounts
    • Laminate Stock / Stainless Steel Construction
    • Sub MOA Accuracy
    • Overall weight of between 8 and 8.5 lbs
    • Adjustable or Set Trigger (Savage Accutrigger is fine)

stangfish
    Problem with building a rifle with open sights is you need some metal skills or some coin.

thomae
    How about the Savage Scout in .308? Not quite 30-06, but just as easy to find ammo. Not stainless, but you could nitride or ceracote it and get just about the same weather resistance.
    Has the accutrigger, has a scope rail, has the iron sights.

I know this is not exactly what you were going for, but as far as functionality, meets most of your requirements.

On any round back Savage, You can put Williams rear sights in the rear scope mount holes and use a band mounted front rifle sight.
    You can tap some extra holes for a picatinny or weaver rail that would hold a scope.

I don't know if the Hog Hunter comes in stainless, but perhaps that would be another place to start? It also has open sights (but I think it is also a short action).

kevin_stevens
    I would go .308 for better ammo/case availability and the shorter action. I have .30-06, but different requirements.

KeS

stangfish
    I thought about the Williams but which one. Does it require machining? Wondering about sliding blade or aperture rear site. does anyone make them for the top of a savage reciever?
    Last edited by stangfish; 12-06-2012 at 05:55 AM.

thomae
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Wondering about sliding blade or aperture rear site. does anyone make them for the top of a savage reciever?
    Yes, Williams does. That's what's on the Savage FCM Scout rifle.

I thought about the Williams but which one.
    Look at the page 13 of the Williams online catalog (http://www.williamsgunsight.com/guns...12_Catalog.pdf) or the page for Receiver Sights (http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/wgrs.htm) There you will see
    70274 WGRS-SAVAGE For Savage 110 with round receiver. $38.95
    You can also purchase any standard threaded adjustable aperture (Target or Hunting) and screw it into the hole in the sight. That's what I did with my Scout rifle and it was a big improvement. I have this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/663...s-sights-black

If you want, you can get this to convert it to a fiber-optic ghost ring rear sight.:
    70919 FIRE SIGHT GHOST RING APERTURE Fire Sight Ghost Ring Aperture. Convert any WGRS sight to the speed and accuracy of a ghost ring now with the light gathering effects of fiber optic. $9.95

Does it require machining?
    Nope. (...at least, not for a round back receiver)
    You can also get a WGOS barrel mounted blade sight (see page 13 of the catalog) , but that would require some machining (drill and tap two holes) in the barrel.

I hope this information, and the references, serves to help you make a good decision. You are welcome to visit and shoot my scout rifle.

Basic Member
    I just weighed my rifle.

Bushnell 3200 eilite 4-12x40 AO
    Millet angle lock rings
    Savage bases
    Standard savage 110 flat top action
    Boyds featherweight laminate thumbhole stock
    Shilen match .308 barrel, .716" at the muzzle 24"

9.5 lbs... Without scope, rings, bases.. you'd be right at the top of your weight range. Cut the barrel back to 20" and you'd lose a little bit of weight, lightweight irons.. you should be good to go man.

rrflyer
    Why not just buy something like the savage hog hunter.

Its a nice mid weight all around rifle in 308.

He didn't state a budget get with Kevin Rayhill he could build something to those specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorenius View Post
    If Savage made the 25 Lightweight Varmint in 30-06 and stainless steel, that would be close to perfect.

• 30-06 Caliber
    • 22" - 24" Light Varmint Taper (Approximatley .7 Inches at Muzzle)
    • Integrated Iron Sights (for SHTF / backup)
    • Drilled / Tapped for Scope Mounts
    • Laminate Stock / Stainless Steel Construction
    • Sub MOA Accuracy
    • Overall weight of between 8 and 8.5 lbs
    • Adjustable or Set Trigger (Savage Accutrigger is fine)

You'll never see a Model 25 chambered for anything that doesn't have a .378" case head as the action was specifically designed for the smaller varmint cartridges. The action itself is too small in diameter to accommodate the larger case sizes and still have thick enough walls to provide adequate strength. That's why they have the Axis and the 110 series.

As for your target weight, that's not going to happen with a laminate stock as laminated wood is the heaviest stock material there is (well, unless you fill synthetic with lead, but that's another story). For lightweight you're best bet would be to just buy a Model 116 Weather Warrior in .30-06 with the AccuStock and then find a gunsmith to install open sights on it for you.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Actually, I think my thumbhole stock is lighter than factory... ill weigh it and post results.

Sorenius
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    You'll never see a Model 25 chambered for anything that doesn't have a .378" case head as the action was specifically designed for the smaller varmint cartridges. The action itself is too small in diameter to accommodate the larger case sizes and still have thick enough walls to provide adequate strength. That's why they have the Axis and the 110 series.

As for your target weight, that's not going to happen with a laminate stock as laminated wood is the heaviest stock material there is (well, unless you fill synthetic with lead, but that's another story). For lightweight you're best bet would be to just buy a Model 116 Weather Warrior in .30-06 with the AccuStock and then find a gunsmith to install open sights on it for you.
    I wasn't suggesting that they chamber a Model 25 in 30-06, just using it as an example of something similar to what I was looking for in overall weight and barrel contour.

Anyway, thanks for your input folks. I like scythefwd's build suggestions and am seriously considering them. The newer Winchester Alaskan in Stainless / Laminate comes in 30-06 and has iron sights. It is a contender, though a little heavier and slightly longer barrel than I would prefer. And I'd prefer a Savage. If I can build my ideal rifle for approximately the same price, or even slightly more (to get exactly what I want) than the Winchester, I will definitely be doing it.

Basic Member

Total weight, 9.5 lbs
    Stock weighs 3.0 lbs

That is a 24" 308 barrel, stainless.
    Barrel is .716 at muzzle.
    That stock is a boyds featherweight - You could possibly save some weight going cheap synthetic stock.. but I dont see that happening. You could hollow out the sock some, in the forearm (not too much or you lose rigidity) and in the buttstock. I'll be dirlling and plugging with epoxy and lead in the buttstock probably.. I want a little more weight. You could go to a slightly lesser contour on the barrel to shave a bit more weight (and keep you under your 8.5lb weight limit) while doig a pillar and glass bedding. You could expect very good accuracy out of that setup. I still need to pillar and glass bed it.. and I haven't shot it yet.

Lose a lb for the scope/bases/rings, and you're at your stated wight limit, like I said. Irons will only add a minor bit of weight, which you could offset by going with a 20-22" barrel and shave several oz off it. Building on a short action instead of a long action may also net you some weight savings.

you never said a budget, so here is what I spent:
    Savage 110 in 30-06 - 300
    Boyds laminate featherweight thumbhole stock - 116 shipped
    Shilen match barrel, recoil lug, trued barrel nut - 383 shipped
    pillars, custom machined to my specs, 2 sets - 1lb of varget (22 bucks)
    devcon - gonna run 43

total - 864 if my mental math is right. Sold stock, factory barrel, nut, and lug for 75, so Im' just under 800 right now. 791 it looks like?
    Last edited by scythefwd; 12-06-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Sorenius
    Thats a great looking rifle. Hows it shoot?

Basic Member
    Honestly dont know. 0 rounds down the barrel. It was just installed friday. I've got a few rounds of factory ammo I'll put down range tomorrow after work.

I edited the post while you were posting.. more details are there now.

There is NO reason this thing wont outshoot a factory savage.. only thing not match is the fully adjusted 3 screw trigger at 2.75lbs, the bolt assembly, and the action. Everything else is match gear..
    Last edited by scythefwd; 12-06-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Sorenius
    Where'd you pick up the 110 for 300? I don't really have a budget, my only guideline is reasonableness. Yours is definitely reasonable.

Basic Member
    I got it locally used in a face to face sale (perfectly legal here). They dont show up very often, but I know of a 270 in a poly stock that went for 275 like amonth after I bough this. I was trying to hold out for a short action, but we see how well that worked out. I would have been able to get a new stevens 200 (same exact action) for 340 out the door, so I refuse to pay more than 300 for a used one.. especially when I was mainly interested the action. I'm still tossing around the idea of a larger bolt body, and I may upgrade the trigger later, but not for a long while.

Keep your eyes open for deal on enthusiest sites, like here, snipershide, thehighroad.org, etc. I know a dealer that can get a the stevens for 340, and if you're upgrading everything.. thats the best start in my opinion. He might bea ble to ship to you for what you can find locally if not better.

As to your accuracy question.. I'd expect any shilen match barrel and savage or remington 700 action with a proper fitting stock to shoot sub .75 with a good factory load, and better with hand loads tuned to the rifle.
    Last edited by scythefwd; 12-06-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Basic Member
    Weight update. Aluminum pillars in and bedded... 10 lbs flat.

I could drop approximately 1 lb with a 4 inches shorter barrel (20"), another lb for the removal of rings and bases and scope.

8.5 lbs is hard to do with a built rifle.. and I went light weight on my setup. You could also go a lighter barrel profile and shave some weight there too.
    Last edited by scythefwd; 04-04-2013 at 03:18 PM.

how about the model 111 Light Weight Hunter in .30-06. It is not stainless but it weighs in at 5.5 lbs. Cerakote it and you should be good. You will still have to add sights but you are way under your weight requirement.
    More shooting, less typing.

Basic Member
    Ok savage hog hunter. See through sights ready and waiting. Not stainless but you could have it cerekoted matte stainless!