Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 6.5-06 or 270WSM, what's your thoughts

Apparently I missed your post.......yes, a push feed will work. Get one for the action you are using........I'm not completely sure, but I think there is a difference in the long action and the short action push feed bolt heads. Perhaps someone will chime in about that.

Alesandro
    So I can use a 300WinMag push feed bolt head for my WSM?

If so I will order what I need today.

If you're building this on a long action then yes, that bolt head will work for sure. I think the short action uses a different bolt head. I bought all my stuff through Fred at SSS. Let me check to see for sure.

Alesandro
    Apache,

Awesome, I am building this on a 111, so it's a long action. The difference on the bolt faces really had me confused. I tried to call Savage directly but the numbers from their web-site said they were all numbers no longer used.

I think I am good to go. I will order my barrel on Monday and the rest with in the next couple of months prior to my barrel arriving.

Here is a check list of items I will be ordering;
    1) Barrel for 6.5/270WSM
    2) Long action push-feed 300WM bolt head
    3) Savage barrel wrench
    4) recoil lug
    5) 6.5/300WSM go-gage

Unless you can think of anything else, I think I am good. I will keep you guys updated as my build progresses.

Looks good!!!

Alesandro
    Sounds great. I forgot to mention I should be receiving my 6.5/300WSM reloading dies in a couple days.

It lloks like the 300WM bolt head is back ordered until about April from Midway. Do you have any other suggestions?

Try SSS, they may have one. Brownells maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alesandro View Post
    It looks like the 300WM bolt head is back ordered until about April from Midway. Do you have any other suggestions?
    Pacific Tool & Gauge makes a bolt head as well

stangfish
    post pics
    Last edited by stangfish; 01-06-2013 at 02:53 PM.

jibben
    Northlander has trued lugs and nuts. pacific tool has custom bolt bodies and bolt heads.

jibben
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    And the 280 does everything you need.
    Come now, we all know from the hunting escapades of the Swedes that nothing hits like the bone crunching power of the 6.5

Alesandro
    Does Northland Shooters Supply have a web-page?

Stangfish;
    Guns, I like guns, I have access to a bunch including a 280 that I am currently working up loads for. I decided to do a 6.5/270WSM to be different. Don't get me wrong I don't have every gun under the sun, far from it, the 280AI intrigues me as well. I wanted my first build to be an odd-ball that not to many people have or have heard of.

I will probably be ordering my barrel tomorrow or Tuesday. The barrel manufacture suggested a no. 5 contour for the 26" I asked for. Would it benefit me (weight) or hinder me (velocity) if I went 24"?

I appreciate all the help and input from everyone that has contributed to this thread. Get a hold of me if anyone is in the Boise, Id. area and we'll go and shoot some guns!!

Northlander can be found in the vendors classifieds section here on the site.

http://www.savageshooters.com/forumd...hooters-Supply

Contact Information for NSS:
    E-mail - briggs.j-b@q.com (that is Q.com not G.com)
    Phone - 763/682-4296 - BEST WAY TO CONTACT ME
    Fax - 763/682-6098
    Mailing address:
    PO Box 333
    Buffalo, MN 55313
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member
    alesandro ive been following your post regarding the 6.5x270wsm. i built one 2 years ago but only recently were
    some issues finaly resolved. as for the cartridge it is a very good one. my issues with it were gunsmith related.
    i built mine on a model 11 lefty action. the gun had been a 243. that in hindsite was a mistake. converting the
    magazine and getting it to work was a nightmare. i wish i had started with a short mag action to begin with.
    that said the proper smith would have sorted it out much sooner.
    your decision of a no turn neck is a good one. ive got about 300 rounds thru mine to date. its probably the most accurate
    gun i own. it likes every bullet i feed it. although some better than others of coarse.
    i used a 28" brux barrel with an 8 twist. heavy sporter with .875 at the muzzel. it does have a brake.
    not so much for recoil as for seeing my own hits.
    i bedded and refinished the original wood factory stock but replaced the standard trigger with a sharpshooter which is excellant.
    mine is not nitrited and fact is i wasent even aware of that untill i saw neal talking about it here. im not sure if its too late for mine of not.
    maybe somebody can inform me on that. in any event now that im done fooling around with it it should last quite awhile used just for hunting.
    good luck with yours.

Alesandro
    Yo buck,

I am starting with a LA 270Win donor, I don't know if I will have feeding issues yet. I am pretty sure I will need to do some work to the magazine as the WSM cartridge is quite a bit fatter than the 270 and doesn't just pop in.

Why did you go witha 28" barrel, with yours having such a thick barrel at the muzzle and a long 28" barrel is it a hunting gun? I am still deciding whether I want 24" or stick with 26" barrel that I have quoted.

Thank you for your reply and information.

Team Savage
    You will find better ballistic bullets with 6.5mm and 7mm than .277.

That said if you ever intend to shoot lighter bullets the 270 could be the way to go with some of the 6.8 SPC offereings, IE 85gr and 95 gr barnes.

I personally was looking for a very flat shooting, hard hitting round that would shoot inside 4" out to 300 yards.
    Ended up with the 270 win and 95 gr barnes over RL17 at 3650 FPS.
    It was sort of a quest but literally will blow body parts off a hog.

A 280 or 7mm mag would be better for Elk. More bullets there too.

Magnum rounds tend to pop out of the magazine with a regular push feed if you cycle them too slowly.
    I use a control feed for magnums and that solves that problem.
    Last edited by tammons; 01-07-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Basic Member
    When my '06 was a 300 WM, I noticed the cartridges "popping out" as well, but a lot of tinkering with the forward portion of the feed lips finally resolved the issue. Just in time for me to convert it back to an '06. But hey, that's how I roll.

If this rifle had not come to me as an '06 it would probably have ended up a 280 AI, but since it IS an '06, I cannot force myself to buy more dies, more bullets and more brass, all to do something the '06 will do every bit as well or better.

Good luck on your project, I am finding it harder and harder to make swaps since I don't have the funds to get out and shoot all I already own, so it takes the fun out of a new one.

Team Savage
    After my last fiddling with a staggerfeed 7mm RM and a push feed bolt head, I dont think I would even try to swap over a
    push feed stagger feed rifle to a Magnum. A CF action just works without all the aggravation since the CF head catches the round when it pops up.

Mind you it would cycle if you cycled it very fast, but you definitely could not sneak a round in the chamber from the magazine.

A centerfeed push feed should work but I have never tried one in magnum.

stangfish
    the 280AI intrigues me as well.
    Now your talkin'!

Basic Member
    Yo buck,

I am starting with a LA 270Win donor, I don't know if I will have feeding issues yet. I am pretty sure I will need to do some work to the magazine as the WSM cartridge is quite a bit fatter than the 270 and doesn't just pop in.

Why did you go witha 28" barrel, with yours having such a thick barrel at the muzzle and a long 28" barrel is it a hunting gun? I am still deciding whether I want 24" or stick with 26" barrel that I have quoted.

Thank you for your reply and information.
    im sorry, i didnt notice my typo till you pointed it out.
    my barrel is 26" and not 28" as my post stated. yes my gun is for hunting and is on the heavy side for most people.
    we hunt from stationary positions in pa so weight isnt a big factor for us. we do carry them for distances of maybe
    a mile or so at times. but when we are there we are there for the day or at least a large part of it. this is the smallest
    of my long range guns. not counting varmit guns of coarse. it is a high performance cartridge and as such requires
    a 26" barrel. you will be using about the same amounts of powder as you would in a 7 rem mag. due to that lightweight
    guns arent as pleasant to be shooting. at least in my opinion. but then i dont consider a 30/06 very pleasant either in light rifles.
    your magazine will definatly need modification. and although parts are easily available from savage it wont be a yawner to fix.
    free advice will come easily. mine was finally fixed by a smith in gillette wy. whom i had met while in the area hunting. he chambers
    for that cartridge including long range pistols. he quickly recognised some issues with my gun when i showed it to him.
    i would reccomend you use norma brass rather than winchester. i started by using winchester but had problems blowing primers
    with the hotter loads. the problem went away with norma. that problem also seemed more apperent with rl22 powder.
    im currently using h1000 with 140 berger vld bullets.

Alesandro
    My Lee 6.5/300WSM dies came in yesterday.

Would it be hard to convert my gun to a controlled-round-feed instead of using it as a push-feed?

Alesandro
    McGowen barrels stated to me the difference between the 6.5/270WSM and the 6.5/300WSM is the length, for those of you who had asked what the difference is. So I will be ordering a 6.5/300WSM (that's what the dies are), 26" long, Stainless Steel, small shank for a 110 action.

Is there any thing else I might be leaving out?

Basic Member
    well im of the opinion the only difference between the 2 is neck diameter. capacity is identicle.
    the initial loading process is simpler by using the 270 wsm brass due to the neck dimension as compared to the 300wsm brass.
    my dies are lee 6.5x300wsm also. simply run the new 270wsm brass thru the full legnth die and your done. its just that easy.
    it would be advisable to check overall case legnth after sizing and if necessary trim to proper legnth. but that would be a
    routine step during the loading process anyway.
    this was my first set of lee dies. ive always used rcbs or redding prior to these. they did take a
    little getting used to for me. but once i did they work just fine. in fact ive since bought another set for another gun.
    i did swap out the lock nuts however.

id be sure your barrel is an 8 twist.
    Last edited by yobuck; 01-08-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Alesandro
    So after looking at my Hornady reloading manual it appears the 270WSM case is a little longer than the 300WSM case. With that being said I would think using 270WSM brass wouldn't be a problem because after resizing the neck from .277 to .264 it would also push the shoulder back as well. After the initial resizing and then shooting the round I would have a fully fire-formed case.

I think it all makes sense to me. I will verify the barrel will have a 1-8 twist when ordered.

Oh man, I am getting so stoked about this.

Alesandro
    Hola Amigos;

I ordered my barrel last week and I was told it would take up to 11 weeks. I might let a little time go by before I order the rest of the stuff I need like the barrel wrench and such.

One question that hasn't been answered is, what do I need to do to get my WSM rounds to feed properely from my '06 magazine, do I need to get different bottom metal pieces or just open up the mouth of the current mag? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast