Thread: New Rifle and Scope

bubba4602

New Rifle and Scope

Okay here it is.
    I just bought a new Savage Model 10fp 24" heavy barrel accu trigger rifle. Along with a Falcon Menace 4x14-44 ffp scope. I going to be using it for long range coyote hunting and maybe deer hunting. The way I hunt is I just take off walking and alot of time I ambush the coyotes and or deer. Now I know this rifle weighs extra with the heavy barrel and all but what I want to know is what type of bases and rings would work the best for long shots on yotes and maybe deer. I have been reading alot of posts and haven't been able to make a decision yet. I kinda leaning towards Ken Farrell one piece bases and Burris sig. rings. But I'm not sure if I would just need a straight one piece base or an elevated one? Has anyone mounted the same scope to the same rifle and what did you use and how did it work for you?
    Thanks

Re: New Rifle and Scope

I have a 10fp with 20" barrel and am using the Burris XTR 2piece base and XTR low rings, seems to do the job. I also have this set up on 10fp 223, 20" barrel,110fp,7mm mag 20" barrel and a 112vlp.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

bubba4602

rjtfroggy
    thanks for the come back on what mounts and rings you used on this combination. There is so many different ways to mount scopes on rifles. I've used the Burris bases and rings on some of my other rifles. So maybe I'll do it again.
    thanks again
    P.S. There is a lot of good info here it helps alot to be able to come on to this forum and find discussion on topics that help out to solve problems that arise.
    bubba4602 ;D

Bubba this combo. keeps the scope nice and low to the action. The scopes I am using are 42mm and the tactical mounts and rings are solid, stable.
    If you go to www.swfa.com you can find the burris bases and then go to the ss rings and get their brand for about half the cost, for the same rings.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Lefty Savage

Check out DNZ Game Reaper scope mounts. They are one piece base and ring set. I have a low mount sitting on a new model 11 with a 40mm scope and have a little extra room for a 44mm. As far as the cant of the base (or built in MOA), that depends on how far you plan on shooting. I think you'll be ok to about 600yds with out the base cant.