Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on scope mount for 10fcpk

RHelton10

Need advice on scope mount for 10fcpk

Hey guys, newbie to the site but a veteran gun nut. Just ordered my first Savage and wanted to find a community of experts to share the experience with - so here I am!

I'd like some opinions of different scope mounts that you guys like - brand, type (1-piece, 2-piece, etc), price, etc. for my 10fcpk in .308.

My initial thoughts are to go with a 1 piece rail but I really don't know any pro's/con's over any other type. I don't really want to spend $150-200 on just the rail if possible; thoughts?

1ShotKing
    Another thread was recently started by another member, a few of us have posted replies there. Check it out, http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...d-1-Piece-Base.
    This has been discussed a fair bit recently, and there are several different good options. I chose the Weaver Tactical 1 piece base primarily because it offers good quality for the price, and it was easily available for me to purchase. Living in Canada makes it harder for me to get every type of rail due to export regulations.

1ShotKing

I bought a Savage FCP Model 10 over Thanksgiving and the dealer didn't have any rails or mounts so I took the gun bare. Went home and wanted to shoot it so started looking for the short action round top rail mount needed for the gun. Believe it or not, I found an aluminum one at Academy that fit perfectly. I installed it and then moved a Nikon M-223 sight from my AR over to it, went to the range, everything worked fine except the AR rings on the Nikon sight were too tall. Found some 1" low rings that were really too short but worked OK. I have shot that "temporary" setup several times since and it all works great, surprisingly. So I have $70 invested in rail and rings and a working rifle. But I have a Bushnell sight with 34mm tube and some nice rings coming. Will try that with the inexpensive rail. Photos later this week.

I think I have been lucky with the inexpensive parts so far. But you could try something similar to get your gun going and then decide later how much more money to spend. I will have twice the money in the optics and mount than I have in the rifle itself when all is done. I will also have a useable 2-8x scope when the 3.5-21 is too much.

Joe

RHelton10

Thanks Joe - I actually have an Academy not too far from me; do you happen to know which rail it was that you purchased? I'm still waiting for the rifle to arrive and don't yet know the hole patterns on the receiver.

For now I'm planning to use a Nikon Buckmaster BDC 6-18x40 that I already have, but may look at upgrading down the road. Unfortunately I don't have too many areas in Georgia where I can find a shooting lane past 300 yards so I don't have to worry too much with finding a scope for long(er) distances.

Basic Member
    EGW Evolution Gun Works one piece are great I have one on my fcp-k 308 as well as a dozen other rifles of mine. around $60.00 I really like the leupold mark 4 rings though around 160.00 for them.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

Try the Redfield 47611 from Academy for an inexpensive alum full length base that seems to work OK on my 10-FCP. If you can spring for the EGW, I'm sure it is excellent, but this one was surprisingly good.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe L; 12-08-2012 at 12:14 AM.

pitsnipe
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper15545 View Post
    EGW Evolution Gun Works one piece are great I have one on my fcp-k 308 as well as a dozen other rifles of mine. around $60.00 I really like the leupold mark 4 rings though around 160.00 for them.
    +1 on the EGW base. Have one on my FLCP-K with a 20 moa cant and have MORE than enough come up to get a 178 grain AMAX out to 800 yards. Now to stretch it to 1000. I like the Warne detachable rings as it allows for scope removal and reinstallation while maintaining zero. So when I get rich and can afford night vision worth owning I can make the swap easily.
    Good shootin!

chakup
    Another +1 on EGW and right now EGW has some seconds for cheap, and dvor is running a sale on EGW mounts today.

I just ordered one of the EGW blems, just in case I need a second rail mount. Thanks for the heads up.
    Joe

chakup
    No problem. Like I said Dvor has new non-blems about the same price. Only they don't have the HD Savage at same price as the HD Rem's or I would go that route. Haven't ordered anything through them before but was given the heads up from another local shooter.

John_M
    RHelton 10, here is what I thought after installing a Weaver one piece rail on my Savage: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ver+piece+base

Good luck and best wishes.

RHelton10
    You guys have been really great with the advice - I really appreciate it. It's nice to find another gun community that likes to help instead of bashing people with questions. Glad I found this place!

Rhelton10--I beat you here by about 2 weeks! Lots of very knowledgeable and helpful and friendly people here. I will get to shoot mine again tomorrow morning.

I think we have identical rifles, by the way.

Joe

ODA 0121
    Rhelton10,
    I'm new here also, decided to look a bit while I'm home on leave. I just put a Talley base and rings on a 10FLCP-K that Savage gave to me a while back. When I received it the Mil rep from WARNE gave me a picatinny and rings for it, WARNE makes very good components but the rail was for a right hand action, it worked but wasn't desirable for me. The lower "left" side would bounce the cartridge case if you racked the bolt fast. On the rifles I've been issued over the years they mostly had Badger bases and rings. I've also used Seekins, Barrett, US Optics and NightForce. I really like the new Talley, the rail is a true picatinny and the tactical rings are matched and have a unique lug base (instead of a bar or bolt) which is very precise. If you want to look at them type in a search for Talley Tactical Rings...they are not on the Talley website yet but with a search several distributors show them.

Best of luck finding what you will like!

rattfink
    On this topic, what are people's experiences with Weaver one piece rails and their 4 and 6 point rings? They're dirt cheap and made in America. They seem too good to be true. Thoughts?

Basic Member
    I've been using Weaver for 40 yrs.+. Never had one break or come loose [that wasn't my fault].
    They are cheap so people think they can't be any good.
    I've even had good luck with the cheap quad lock rings.
    Last edited by thirty06; 12-15-2012 at 06:56 AM.

rattfink
    Quote Originally Posted by thirty06 View Post
    I've been using Weaver for 40 yrs.+. Never had one break or come loose [that wasn't my fault].
    I think the biggest thing wrong with them is they are cheap so they can't be any good.
    I've even had good luck with the cheap quad lock rings.
    I'm scratching my head here. On one hand you say they have served you well for 40 years, on the other they can be no good.....
    I think I am missing something.

Basic Member
    Sorry about that sometimes fingers and brain don't work together.
    Hope it looks better now.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    You guys finding rails listed as blems, where are y'all finding them, how much & do they make them for the 110 action?
    Vortex scopes are not real generous with eye relief & I can't get the scope back any further. Time to go with a rail. I've been thinking about it for a few months and just can't seem to want to spend that much money. Some call it cheap, I call it "conservative with my resourses"...

If any of you get a line on a rail for Savage 110 flat back or Stevens long action (200) round back for reasonable cost, howsabout put up a link for your 'ol Uncle Frank?

Much obliged.

Frank in Fla
    (By the way, RHelton - Welcome to your new addiction. Wait until the "Barrel swap bug" sinks his teeth into you)
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

thomae
    Frank,
    EGW had some blems, you will need to check their website. Last I checked (admittedly a while ago) they only had short actions.
    Do you need a 20degree cant?

Would a 0 MOA rail, something like this work for you?
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/532...und-rear-matte

Check your PMs.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    thomae - I believe that would work very nicely. The problem is I'm not up to date on these new fangled contraptions.

PM's checked.

Thanks & I owe ya one.
    Merry Christmas.
    Frank in FLa
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

rattfink
    Quote Originally Posted by thirty06 View Post
    Sorry about that sometimes fingers and brain don't work together.
    Hope it looks better now.
    Ok that's what I was thinking you meant. Thanks for clarifying!

Deerhunter 28

TTT

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
    Blacked out

helotaxi
    I'm currently using 3 EGW, one Weaver and one Ironsighter bases on my various Savages. One of the EGWs is the HD version made of 7075 Al, the other two are the basic rail. No difference in performance from any of them.

The Weaver base has a recoil lug machined into it and I like that, since Savage in general uses #6 screws for base mounting. It's also about the same price as the EGW, possibly less. The Blackhawk brand base is exactly the same base.

As far as the rings go I've got a set of the Weaver tactical rings on one of my rifles (not a Savage) and they work fine. Well machined, lightweight, hold the scope securely without the need to overtighten and inexpensive. Again, the Blackhawk rings are exactly the same thing.

I installed the "blem" EGW rail last night. I never could find the blemish, but I didn't look too hard after I checked the fit on my rifle, which was perfect. Cleaned the receiver with a little alcohol and the bottom of the rail, spread a little blue loctite on it and the screws, and installed everything. Perfect fit. The EGW rail is on for good.

My Academy special rail had loosened up over the last 20 rounds or so, but I had not used any Loctite and didn't tighten anything down much more than snug so it was my fault. I am keeping it in case I get another Savage. What is funny is that I had been shooting 3" groups at 200 yards in a crosswind with the scope free to wiggle. I was wondering why the groups were a little larger than normal (expected 1.5") and I found the reason, LOL. Won't make that mistake again.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast