Ok, here's my idea:

I have a brand spankin' new savage target action with a RBRP configuration and I had way too much time on my hands today so I started thinking(not usually good for my wallet).

I have a guy who is willing to sell me a brand new 338 lapua bolt head and I was wondering if I could make a single shot 338 out of this action? I have seen on a few other sites where guys built 338 edge out of the target action and it seemed to work just fine. I know that I won't be able to eject a loaded round without pulling the bolt, but that really doesn't bother me at all.
It would be strictly for throwing 300gr bullets out to steel target from 800 to 2000 yards. Strictly fun factor here, but it's also fun to have something a little different and something you built yourself!

I think my list of parts would go something like this:
-savage target action with 338 bolt head and 110 BA bolt handle
- 30(maybe even 32?) inch shillen select match SS barrel
- one of my local shops custom muzzle breaks
- warne tactical 20 or 40 MOA rail
- McMillan A5 stock ordered with a solid bottom for the 3 screw action

I guess the biggest question is, would the 338 lapua bolt head fit onto the short action bolt? Would it require too much work to make it fit?

The reason I'm swayed to lapua over the Edge is that I'm sold on lapua brass. If I'm going to build something like this, I want brass to last. I use lapua for 2 other cartridges and it's incredible stuff.

So what do you think?
...am I crazy?... :)