Thread: 30-06 110, New Member

Solid

Thumbs Up 30-06 110, New Member

Hello Savage forum – first post!

I purchased this 110 over 10 years ago. I probably fired about 10 rounds, and it has been sitting ever since (what a shame!). I figured it's time to get this thing out on the range and see what it can do (browsing this forum REALLY got me interested!). I can't seem to find any info on this specific model, so I figured I would throw up a few pictures and see if anyone has seen, or heard of this. The factory box was labeled 110-LY (22" barrel; 30-06 SPFD), which would lead me to believe that it is a left-hand, youth model, but it certainly isn't a lefty, and I don't think it's a youth either. I believe some law enforcement models had the trailing "L", but this probably isn't that either. The serial number starts with F073..., and is a total of 7 digits (including the "F"). Anyway, here it is, let me know what you think!

(These are all cell phone images - sorry about that)

I've seen other 110's with wear in this area, so I assume it's normal?

I took a picture of the bolt face - not sure if that helps

stangfish
    hmmm. The SPFD is for Springfield as in 30-06 Springfield cartridge. The Y is for youth.... funny a 30-06 for a youth. They made us tougher back in the day. I wonder if the LY is for Laminate Youth? Is that the factory stock?
    Last edited by stangfish; 11-21-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    hmmm. The SPFD is for Springfield as in 30-06 Springfield cartridge. The Y is for youth.... funny a 30-06 for a youth. They made us tougher back in the day. I wonder if the LY is for Laminate Youth? Is that the factory stock?
    Yes, I know the SPFD is Springfield, I was just trying to list everything that was on the outside of the box. I would be surprised if it was in fact a youth model - is there a measurement that I can make to determine if the stock is shorter than a regular 110? The 22" barrel seems normal, so I don't know what else could make it a youth model, other than the stock length. Also, while cleaning, with the stock removed, I notice there is a "Y" stamped into the barrel; not sure what that means. Yes, this is the factory laminated stock. Thanks for your reply.

Basic Member
    You can meaure from where your finger would touch the trigger to the back of the buttpad in a straight line and that will give you the length of pull or "LOP". On an "adult" rifle it is usually in the neighborhood of 13.5 to 14" or so wiht 13 3/4" being the average I think. A youth rifle should have a stock with LOP at least an inch shorter than that and maybe more.

Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by teebirdhyzer View Post
    You can meaure from where your finger would touch the trigger to the back of the buttpad in a straight line and that will give you the length of pull or "LOP". On an "adult" rifle it is usually in the neighborhood of 13.5 to 14" or so wiht 13 3/4" being the average I think. A youth rifle should have a stock with LOP at least an inch shorter than that and maybe more.
    teebirdhyzer - thanks for the reply and info - on Thanksgiving day nonetheless!

The second I saw your reply, I ran over and took a measurement (and photo). It looks like it is almost exactly 14" to the curve of the trigger (the tape measure slid down off the stock, and wouldn't cooperate for the photo). I would think a youth model would be very easy to identify, and the short stock would be obvious. What do you think?

For what it's worth, I love this laminated stock! The colors are really nice - sort of a green/grey color - the Cell Phone photos just don't show how nice it is.

Solid
    Thanks to John T. Callahan (what a great service!), I now know my rifle was built in June of 1990! Still trying to figure out what the "LY" stands for.

??? Maybe the wrong box??? If they had it on a gun shop shelf someone may have grabbed just any box out of the back and sent the rifle on it's way?
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member

30-06 110, New Member

Hmm maybe they had some trouble selling a youth model in 30/06. So they just put it in a regular stock to get it sold. Just a thought

Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    ??? Maybe the wrong box??? If they had it on a gun shop shelf someone may have grabbed just any box out of the back and sent the rifle on it's way?
    This is exactly what I thought happened, but the serial number on the box matches the rifle.

Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by triglet40 View Post
    Hmm maybe they had some trouble selling a youth model in 30/06. So they just put it in a regular stock to get it sold. Just a thought
    I suppose this could be the case, but the rifle was purchased from Kmart (which is now closed in this area), so I doubt one of the employees there did a stock swap.

The only place I see the "LY" is on the box, there is no marking, other than "Model 110", stamped into the barrel. Also, there is no mention of an 110-LY in the 1990 catalog (according to Mr. Callahan), so maybe it was a specific model made for Kmart stores? It looks like the original sticker price was $329.97 - if you can believe it, I bought it on sale for $82.49.
    Last edited by Solid; 12-01-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling error

Basic Member

30-06 110, New Member

Prolly not coming from Kmart! And 82 bucks not to shabby!

Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by triglet40 View Post
    Prolly not coming from Kmart! And 82 bucks not to shabby!
    I forgot to mention, it came with these for free!

Werewolf
    Wow! The K mart in my area quit selling guns years ago. When they liquidated their stock I snagged a mossberg 835 for $90 and felt like I stole it! I wish they had a savage or 2 then. Oh well. That gun looks great for a stock rifle, slap a scope on it and shoot sumthin!

Oh yeah, the wear on the rear tang is just where the rear baffle rubs=normal.

Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    Wow! The K mart in my area quit selling guns years ago. When they liquidated their stock I snagged a mossberg 835 for $90 and felt like I stole it! I wish they had a savage or 2 then. Oh well. That gun looks great for a stock rifle, slap a scope on it and shoot sumthin!

Oh yeah, the wear on the rear tang is just where the rear baffle rubs=normal.
    Werewolf,

That is exactly what happened.

I just ordered a base from EGW, and need to do some more research to figure out what I want to do for optics. I would ask, but I'm sure it's already been answered somewhere on this site - just need to use the search function. Thanks to all that contributed!