Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 114 american classic 30.06

Eastman

Hi everyone,
    Just got my new rifle set-up, and thought I'd send a couple of pics!! Not the best, but it gives you some idea. Do you think I will be ok with these standard leupold rings? They are medium, wondered if I might get away with low....any thoughts? Any other type? Many thanks.
    Eastman

Roger SS
    Wow. What a beauty. congrats! I'm going to pick up my Savage 11 FCNS .308 tomorrow and American Classic 7mm-08 early next week.

Eastman
    Thanks, I think it looks nice. I've often wondered about the 7mm-08, What do you think about that caliber? I'm thinking about Deer when I ask that.

ellobo
    Cant go wrong with the 7-08 for deer or caribou. Good shot placement will get a moose as well. Moose arn't hard to kill.

El Lobo

Roger SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastman View Post
    Thanks, I think it looks nice. I've often wondered about the 7mm-08, What do you think about that caliber? I'm thinking about Deer when I ask that.
    Research the caliber on Wikipedia. Actually some really good info. esp. about something called BC (ballistic coefficient) 7mm-08 maintains alot of muzzle energy and transfers it effectively at far distances. Usually very quickly lethal for large game given good shot placement, of course. (Engine room.) Heart and/or lungs.

Eastman
    Thanks Roger SS, I'll check it out.
    Last years Deer was taken at approximately 70 yards, and was a neck shot. It never took a step!
    Beyond that, I think I would take a high shoulder, or behind the shoulder shot ( Engine room ) I know that the .308 is a very accurate caliber, and I love it. Would you say that the 7mm-08 is also renouned for accuracy? John.

Roger SS
    Thanks Roger SS, I'll check it out.
    Last years Deer was taken at approximately 70 yards, and was a neck shot. It never took a step!
    Beyond that, I think I would take a high shoulder, or behind the shoulder shot ( Engine room ) I know that the .308 is a very accurate caliber, and I love it. Would you say that the 7mm-08 is also renouned for accuracy? John.
    I'd say so. The 7mm has an even flatter trajectory that the .30 caliber bullet.

Eastman
    Yeah, having just read the wikipedia article, I have to agree. All those quotes from some very experienced shooters has convinced me that what you say is correct. Almost on a par with the .270 trajectory, is surprising. I think my next rifle could very well be in 7mm-08. I see you have a Marlin XS7 listed. How do you like it?

Roger SS
    Yeah, having just read the wikipedia article, I have to agree. All those quotes from some very experienced shooters has convinced me that what you say is correct. Almost on a par with the .270 trajectory, is surprising. I think my next rifle could very well be in 7mm-08. I see you have a Marlin XS7 listed. How do you like it?
    Embarrasing to say but haven't even fired it yet. Everyone else with one says it shoots great with lower recoil than .30-06 or .308 Can't wait to get a scope for it and break it in at the range...soon! lol

Eastman
    Well I hope it shoots great!! Thanks for the info. It's 12-45am here in New Brunswick Canada, so I'm off to bed. Hope to chat again soon.
    Regards,
    John

Roger SS
    Well I hope it shoots great!! Thanks for the info. It's 12-45am here in New Brunswick Canada, so I'm off to bed. Hope to chat again soon.
    Regards,
    John
    Thanks John. Talk to you later.

Eastman
    Hi again guys,
    Just wondered if anyone could tell me if Leupold low rings would fit my 114 American classic 30.06. I have on medium rings at the moment with the Leupold VX11 a/o 4-12x40 scope ( See pics in earlier thread ) There is about 3/8 inch space left under front of scope. I like my scope as close to barrel as I can get it. My rings are std. If low will fit, I will try to trade for them...if anyone has any!
    Thanks John

Roger SS
    Hi again guys,
    Just wondered if anyone could tell me if Leupold low rings would fit my 114 American classic 30.06. I have on medium rings at the moment with the Leupold VX11 a/o 4-12x40 scope ( See pics in earlier thread ) There is about 3/8 inch space left under front of scope. I like my scope as close to barrel as I can get it. My rings are std. If low will fit, I will try to trade for them...if anyone has any!
    Thanks John
    Don't have the answer John but I'll be standing by too for it... hopefully. I prefer the scope close to the bore, have the same power, dimensions scope except mine's a Nikon and i just picked up my Savage 14 American Classic in 7mm-08 tonight. A perfect beauty of a rifle!

Eastman

114 American Classic

Thanks for the reply Roger. I'll come back on in the morning and see if there's any info. Which Nikon you got...Bucksmasters? Can you post pics of your rifle please, Would love to see it.
    Thanks, John.

Roger SS
    Thanks for the reply Roger. I'll come back on in the morning and see if there's any info. Which Nikon you got...Bucksmasters? Can you post pics of your rifle please, Would love to see it.
    Thanks, John.
    It's actually a Prostaff 4-12x40 Also bought a Redfield Revenge 6-18x44 and a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 Got a Savage 111 Long Range Hunter 7mm Rem Mag on the way too! Gotta figure out which scope is going where. I've gone nuts. Now got to save up for a camera. lol Sorry.

Basic Member
    I put the Redfield Revenge 4-12x42 on my Axis 223 but am wishing I'd gone with something that has 1/8th increments. Its been a challenge to find the perfect zero but some would say its the cheap factory ammo I've been using. But for the money it won't miss anything the size of a baseball at 100 yards so I'm satisfied. But I'd be happier if that was the size of a golf ball! Actually if I let the barrel cool between shots it is pretty much there. But if cameraland still offers those deals on the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 next month I'll probably snatch up a few and see if they are any better. Put the Redfield aside for a rimfire at a later date.

Let us know what ya like best!

Eastman
    Wow! wish I could afford to "go nuts" and buy like that! lol. I have a small camo Prostaff on a my .22 plinker, and that scope is a little beauty!! I used to have a Buckmasters on a .223 LRPV a few years ago, and that rifle would put all shots in a Golf ball all day!! But it was a bit heavy. I don't know anything about the Redfield, but I did have a Vortex viper some time ago, and liked it. I traded it for something later, but can't remember what!?
    The VX11 Leupold I have now was a unbelievably generous offer from the guy I got the Savage from. Like new, without a mark on it....$100!!!!! What a Guy!
    I think your Prostaff will be great for the Savage 7mm.08 but, if you are like me, you'll be trying different scopes before long lol
    Re the Vortex, you say "I'll probably snatch up a few " Man, are you lucky!! If you decide to throw any away, aim then in this direction! I hope someone has the info re the low rings. John

Basic Member
    Not quite like it sounds "I'll probably snatch up a few " as I just bought 2 Axis .308's for my 13 yr old twins x-mas gifts. So am committed to buying some glass for them asap! They will probably punch paper more then hunt the Viper for $279 seems like a steal. I might just get them each a Viper and hold out for a Burris FF E1 with the illuminated reticle for myself. Thats what I originally wanted but could only afford the Redfield at the time. Took a better position in the mean time so I can revisit the idea. Never enough paychecks in a month is there!

Eastman
    Funny you should mention a illuminated reticle. I always wanted a illuminated dot....or reticle, but never got one. Sounds like your twins are in for some great shooting. Are they ok with .308 cal? (One of my favourites! )
    No answers on the scope rings yet I see!!
    John.

Roger SS
    The crazy insanity continues. Well, actually... I work hard and have been saving for a long time as well as doing my homework and realizing that long range shooting/hunting will be my thing.
    OK....Just picked up my new Browning X-Bolt Medallion .30-06
    I definitely need a camera cause words won't do this beauty any justice. Dammm.
    You only live once guys.

Eastman
    Hey Roger, Can't wait to see a pic of that Browning!! So that's three 30.06's you got? You're getting spoiled! lol
    Well, I hope it shoots as good as it looks...what you looking for next?
    Still waiting to hear if anyone has any experience with low leupold std rings on a 114 american classic, with a Leupold VX11 4-12x40 A/O. John.

Roger SS
    Hey Roger, Can't wait to see a pic of that Browning!! So that's three 30.06's you got? You're getting spoiled! lol
    Still waiting to hear if anyone has any experience with low leupold std rings on a 114 american classic, with a Leupold VX11 4-12x40 A/O. John.
    Next will be the Savage 111 Long Range Hunter 7mm Rem Mag. That will be my final firearm purchase....ever.

No, seriously.... lol Really.

jerkin
    The leupold low std rings fit my 111 with a Bushnell Elite 4-16x40 A/O with a one piece base. I have a caliper and could measure the size of the bell if you need it. Even enough room for a set of Butler Creek lens covers. Depending on the length of the tube you might need the extended set to get your eye relief right though. I needed the extension when I had a Vortex Viper 3-9x40 on there, it had a pretty short tube.

Eastman
    I hope you aren't taking bets on that Roger!! If so, let me have the odds, and I'll re-morgage my house!
    Hey Jerkin, I already have the scope on my rifle...see earlier thread for pic. I have approximately 3/8 inch space left, maybe a 1/2 inch at most. The eye relief is fine. I have a feeling the low rings might just fit...but not certain. Not sure if there is any difference between the 111 & the 114? Thanks for the info, and yes, measure the bell on your bushnell please.
    John.

Roger SS
    I hope you aren't taking bets on that Roger!! If so, let me have the odds, and I'll re-morgage my house!
    Hey Jerkin, I already have the scope on my rifle...see earlier thread for pic. I have approximately 3/8 inch space left, maybe a 1/2 inch at most. The eye relief is fine. I have a feeling the low rings might just fit...but not certain. Not sure if there is any difference between the 111 & the 114? Thanks for the info, and yes, measure the bell on your bushnell please.
    John.
    LOL. Mabe give Savage a call. They'd probably help clarify any differences between the models, if any.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12